Where is the Random Thread of Randomness stuff that doesn't belong in other threads thread?

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
pTIVx1i.jpeg

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I once did a Dr. Seuss parody book, "Green Eggs & Hamlet." It was basically just "Green Eggs & Ham" with Hamlet as the target of Sam-I-Am's attentions (and maybe a few "thees and thous" thrown in), except at the end Horatio arrives too late to warn Hamlet that the green eggs & ham are poisoned so the dying Hamlet stabs Sam-I-Am.

But that's another story. The point is, after playing a few of my morning games of solitaire, I feel the need to do another one: "Oh, The Ways You Can Fail."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Pavlov gets way more credit than he deserves.

He went to all this work to show dogs can be conditioned to respond to stimulus BUT THAT'S PRETTY MUCH THE WAY A DOG'S BRAIN WORKS.

From what I've read, a dog doesn't have memory the way you and I do; then don't just sit there and go "remember that one time I chased a cat up a tree?" Their memory is triggered by stimulus--mostly smell, but also other senses. They'll see the tree they chased the cat up and remember the event. This sound to me a lot like the way a human brain works when suffering PTSD.

My dog has learned that her treats are in the kitchen. And if I go in the kitchen I will give her a treat. So every time I go into the kitchen, she goes in the kitchen and sits at the cupboard her treats are in. And I mean, literally, I could have given her a treat 5 minutes ago; I can SEE it laying in the hallway 8' away. Most of the time now, when she gets a treat, it will just lay around for a day or so because she doesn't even want them at this point, but if I go in the kitchen, she'll go in and sit there and want me to give her a treat.

And I didn't have to develop fancy cages and bells and stuff to create this behavior, it's just the way dog's brains work. That's the problem with using an animal as a human amalgam. You need one with a brain that works similar to a human brain.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
They never mentioned Matthew Perry in the deaths at the Baftas.

Booo I say.
Maybe he faked his death and only told the BAFTAs.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE, PHONES WERE ATTACHED TO WALLS BY CORDS. AND YOU DIDN'T JUST WALK AROUND WITH THE INTERNET IN YOUR POCKET. YOU NEEDED MAPS AND NEWSPAPERS AND YELLOW PAGES. AND WHEN YOU GOT THE INTERNET YOU HAD TO RETIRE YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE, WITH IT'S REASSURING GREY PLASTIC BOX AND MICROCASSETTE AND BLINKING RED LITE AND GET VOICEMAIL, SO WHEN THE MODEM WAS GOING "EEEEEE-GAAAHHHH-DANGDANGDANGDANG-BRZZZZT..." PEOPLE COULD STILL LEAVE YOU MESSAGES.