In Which I Cause WF To Strangle Itself TO DEATH.

The Question

Eternal
This entire argument presupposes that there is nothing at all special or sacred about the United States Capitol Building. That it's just another piece of property, and damage can be measured solely in dollars and cents. Looting a Target is bad, okay? Don't do it. But to suggest that it's somehow worse than disrupting a joint session of Congress to prevent the peaceful transfer of power is absurd. No, it doesn't matter that the rioters were unsuccessful in achieving their goals. The intent is bad enough; and the symbolic damage alone is incalculable.

You said before you're being "patriotic" -- you're not. You're deifying public servants. That's the furthest thing from patriotism.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Who's ass is your nose buried in? (asking for a friend)

jack

You said before you're being "patriotic" -- you're not. You're deifying public servants. That's the furthest thing from patriotism.

I like this perspective, but still...we're supposed to be revolutionaries, aren't we?

Astaroth

one man revolution

Not deifying the people who hold those offices, but there has to be something sacred (which just means "set apart") about the source from which they derive their authority and the symbols thereof. Otherwise the U.S. Constitution is just a scrap of paper, and the American flag is just a piece of cloth, and we're all a bunch of nihilists, so why not storm the Capitol and tear shit up? I know what I believe in.

The Question

Eternal
Not deifying the people who hold those offices, but there has to be something sacred (which just means "set apart") about the source from which they derive their authority and the symbols thereof.

No, there doesn't. There was never intended to be any such separation. The whole point of the American experiment was representative government. Or as somebody once put it, "of the people, by the people, and for the people." The whole point is that the institutions that are meant to serve us are not sacred, in the sense of being "apart from" us or in any other sense of the word.

The Question

Eternal
I like this perspective, but still...we're supposed to be revolutionaries, aren't we?

Remember the Clemens quote above. Sometimes being a patriot means standing up against a government that has strayed from its best principles. And ours has. Or, to put a twist on it; if one's government has become so corrupt that it no longer resembles what it's supposed to be in any but the thinnest, most superficial way... being a patriot is exactly the same thing as being a revolutionary.

I'm not condoning sedition. I'm saying that sedition already happened, and I see nothing whatsoever wrong with the American people correcting it.

jack

Of course, as I may have mentioned upthread (it's hard to keep track now that somebody has mashed almost the entire board into one clusterfucked hodgepodge now), Democrats also insist that voter fraud is a myth -- while screaming their heads off to ensure that something they claim doesn't happen won't be stopped. Why protect something they deny exists?

Because they lie through their legal-voter-disenfranchising teeth.

"The 2020 election wasn't fraudulent, and how dare you enact the procedure that will prove it?!"

"Election fraud isn't real, and how dare you do anything to stop it?!"

The only people who don't see how guilty Democrats are of disenfranchising legal voters are people who actively refuse to see it.

Yeah, this latest merge really is bullshit.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Glenn Greenwald is a piece of shit who hates America. When you find yourself on his side, time to start questioning where you went wrong.
Interestingly, I think you're a piece of shit who hates America. Should I start questioning where you went wrong? :marathon:

MODMAN

I don't hate America.

But it sure is a fucking attention whore. Sort your shit out otherwise I'm going to have to learn mandarin in the next few years.

The Question

Eternal
You'd better pick up a dictionary, then. The Chi-Coms own our Senile, Stuttering Clusterfuck of a Miserable Failure lock, stock, and crackhead. And since nobody else on Earth has the balls to stand up to them, see you in a Nike sweatshop, I guess.

Astaroth

one man revolution
No, there doesn't. There was never intended to be any such separation. The whole point of the American experiment was representative government. Or as somebody once put it, "of the people, by the people, and for the people." The whole point is that the institutions that are meant to serve us are not sacred, in the sense of being "apart from" us or in any other sense of the word.

Right, nihilism for you. Some of the rest of us have come to realize we don't have a country at all if nobody believes there's anything special about it. And we really are better off keeping the country we've got.

The Question

Eternal
Right, nihilism for you.

Not being cultishly worshipful of public institutions is nihilism? You can't seriously believe that.

Some of the rest of us have come to realize we don't have a country at all if nobody believes there's anything special about it.

American exceptionalism is likewise not tied to worship of the state.

jack

189692599_10224927828319673_5467096411611805520_n.jpg

The Question

Eternal
"They're a private business! It doesn't violate the First Amendment when they censor speech they don't want on their platform!"

It does when it's the government directing their censorship.