When making Pickles...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Do you "pickle" (vinegar) or "ferment" (salt brine)?

I just tried my first batch of fermented that I made earlier in the week.

Quite sour, and crunchy and tasty.

jack

I pickle everything from the garden. Green beans, even broccoli. This was my first go at fermentic.

Prebiotics rule!

jack

It's pretty easy. 2 tsp of himalayan salt per covering of water, about a quart along with turmeric instead of vinegar. I use pickling spices on the bottom of a quart mason jar, then a full bulp of garlic and half a sweet onion, along with a whole red chile. I cut the pickles in half and stack them in a layer on the spices, then add the garlic, chili and chopped onion. then the water salt mixture to the top of the jar. I cover it with cheesecloth and let it breathe for 3-5 days in a dark cool place (70 degrees or cooler). AFter 5 days I lid it and put it in the fridge. They are sour, spicy hot and crisp and delicious!

jack

Here's a vid showing the difference.

They are delicious

jack

jack

jack

jack

jarring-documentary-pickle-joke.jpg

jack

f2ad39b8f838aa015018a2377857fffd.jpg

jack

41XyON2jXAS._AC_SY741_.jpg

Oerdin

Not remotely the same but sharing the same name is Punjabi Mango Pickle. I love that shit especially if I have some rice as it spices it all up with contrasting flavors. Basically, they pickle some green mangos to provide that pickle flavor as well as a bit of sweetness then chop up the pickled mango into bite sized pieces. The pieces are then mixed with a spice mix (ranging from mild to so hot your butt hole will never be the same) and allowed to age.

The result is used as an additive or condiment for rice or lentil dishes.

jack

Like these?

43_171797.jpg

jack

This isn't pickles, but works like a charm

289027565_559794002384918_7549181843700455443_n.jpg

jack

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I'm going this weekend to Picklepalooza. They're going to have a Pickle Gose called Mr. Pickle, A Wang Dang Pickle Dog(Deep fried hot dog on a stick stuffed in a pickle), pickle chips, pickled veggies, and lots of other pickle products.

jack

I'm going this weekend to Picklepalooza. They're going to have a Pickle Gose called Mr. Pickle, A Wang Dang Pickle Dog(Deep fried hot dog on a stick stuffed in a pickle), pickle chips, pickled veggies, and lots of other pickle products.