When making Pickles...

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
womens-pickle-costume-01-4.jpg

jack

I get the brine boiling then throw the cukes in and once they turn dark green I put the pot in the freezer and let them cool. Because I cool them really fast, they stay crunchy. Once they're fully cooled I put them in quart containers and poor the brine over them. I let that sit over night in the fridge. They are usually good the next day, but the longer they sit in the brine, the better.

jack

I love my salt brine pickles. Crisp, delicious and I also put a red serrano pepper in the jar.

pre and pro biotics abound!

I love my salt brine pickles. Crisp, delicious and I also put a red serrano pepper in the jar.

pre and pro biotics abound!
I use salt, water and vinegar. So for every amount of vinegar, I double the amount of water. Three cups of vinegar, six cups of water, half a cup of salt. That's the base, you can add whatever else for flavor. That will make about three quarts.

jack

I put cheesecloth over the rim of the jar first and store it in a cool dark place for three days. Then refrigerate it.

jack

jack

f2ad39b8f838aa015018a2377857fffd.jpg

Oerdin

I get the brine boiling then throw the cukes in and once they turn dark green I put the pot in the freezer and let them cool. Because I cool them really fast, they stay crunchy. Once they're fully cooled I put them in quart containers and poor the brine over them. I let that sit over night in the fridge. They are usually good the next day, but the longer they sit in the brine, the better.

How do you pickle without a pressure canner? I looked into getting one but found a quality American made one costs over $400 and I am not sure I will use it enough to justify the price. There shitty Chinese made ones at Walmart for $80 but the reviews are terrible wrt quality.

How do you pickle without a pressure canner? I looked into getting one but found a quality American made one costs over $400 and I am not sure I will use it enough to justify the price. There shitty Chinese made ones at Walmart for $80 but the reviews are terrible wrt quality.
I developed a new technique, I cook them very briefly. It infuses the brine into the cucumbers, but you got to chill them rapidly or they turn to mush. For all internets and purposes, they end up pickled.

jack

Huh...must be the difference between pickling and fermenting.

• Use Pickling Cucumbers! Small and short ( 4-6 inches) with thin bumpy skin, crisp texture, small seeds, a blocky shape and color gradient from light to dark. Varieties include Kirby, Calypso, Royal, Pickalot, National Picking, Adam Gherkin, Sassy, Eurika, Jackson, Boston Pickling, Northern Pickling… to name a few.
  • You’ll need 2 lbs of “pickling cucumbers.” This recipe makes one large 1/2 gallon jar (or use two quart-sized jars) – a relatively small batch.
  • They are most easily found at your local farmers’ market. Ask the farmers if they have “pickling cucumbers” they can help direct you to the right ones.
  • Your pickles will only be as good as your cucumbers, so choose wisely!
  • Make sure they are roughly the same size -about 4-5 inches long with 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch diameters – to fit in the jar nicely and ferment at the same rate. Handpicked each one. They should be fresh and crisp with no soft spots.
Wash the cucumbers, slice off 1/16 inch of the blossom end, and soak them in an ice bath for 15-30 minutes to firm and crisp them up. There are enzymes in the blossom end that can make your pickles soft, so be sure to remove them.

Fermented-Kosher-Dill-Pickles-2.jpg

Gather your fresh Garlic and Dill and pickling spices.

Fermented-Kosher-Dill-Pickles-3.jpg

1. Use fennel seeds, mustard, peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice, dill seeds and celery seeds. Feel free to change or embellish! I added a couple of chilies for a little heat.
  2. Fresh Dill and lots of garlic!
  3. Fermented cucumbers need tannin to help keep their skins from going soft. Traditionally, a few grape leaves are used, but bay leaves work well too!
Because these fermented pickles are left whole, you really want the brine to be extra flavorful.
I add a lot of garlic… 10-15 cloves!

Layer the spices, cucumbers, garlic, dill and bay leaves and more cukes, in a large two-quart jar (half-gallon). Press everything down.

Fermented-Pickles.jpg

Carefully measure and mix salt and water to create the salt water brine- then pour this brine over the pickles leaving an inch of headroom.

How salt works in fermentation:

• In a nutshell, using the right ratio of salt in fermentation encourages the growth of healthy bacteria while at the same time kills off bad bacteria. You want to be precise when measuring the salt and water in these kinds of recipes.
  • Too much salt may kill off ALL of the bacteria -preventing fermentation.
  • Too little salt will allow bad bacteria to keep on living. It is a fine balance.

SALT TO WATER RATIO (fermented dill pickles):

• This recipe is a 3 % saltwater brine, which is considered “safe”. It equals 7 grams of salt per one cup of water. This ratio allows one to drink the brine (like a shot) because it is not too salty.
  • If you want a stronger brine or longer ferment, feel free to go up to 4.5%. So for example, 3.5% Ratio= 9 grams of salt per 1 cup of water, 4.5% brine =10.8 grams of salt ( 2 tsp salt) per 1 cup of water.
  • Use fine, unprocessed salt (sea salt) and unchlorinated, filtered water for best results.
Weigh down the cucumbers so they are completely submerged under the liquid, using a fermentation weight, or a small zip lock bag filled with a little water (in a pinch).

Note: If the cucumbers or seeds are not submerged under the brine and become exposed to air- they will develop mold.

Step 6: Cover loosely with a lid or towel (to prevent bugs or flies from coming in, and to allow gases to escape) place in a bowl or pan to catch any overflow, and place in a cool dark place for 3-7 days, like the basement.

TIP: I’ve found a slower, cooler, fermentation works best here (60-65F).

Step 7: Check after 2-3 days. Look for signs of life: bubbles/ cloudy water. Tap the jar and see if bubbles rise to the top. Check to see if any brine overflowed into the bowl ( both signs of life). This often takes about 3-5 days depending on temperature. Cloudy brine is a good thing!

Step 8: Place the jar in the fridge to further slow the fermentation with a loose lid.

Voila! Recipe here https://www.feastingathome.com/fermented-pickles/

Huh...must be the difference between pickling and fermenting.

• Use Pickling Cucumbers! Small and short ( 4-6 inches) with thin bumpy skin, crisp texture, small seeds, a blocky shape and color gradient from light to dark. Varieties include Kirby, Calypso, Royal, Pickalot, National Picking, Adam Gherkin, Sassy, Eurika, Jackson, Boston Pickling, Northern Pickling… to name a few.
  • You’ll need 2 lbs of “pickling cucumbers.” This recipe makes one large 1/2 gallon jar (or use two quart-sized jars) – a relatively small batch.
  • They are most easily found at your local farmers’ market. Ask the farmers if they have “pickling cucumbers” they can help direct you to the right ones.
  • Your pickles will only be as good as your cucumbers, so choose wisely!
  • Make sure they are roughly the same size -about 4-5 inches long with 1 1/2-inch to 2-inch diameters – to fit in the jar nicely and ferment at the same rate. Handpicked each one. They should be fresh and crisp with no soft spots.
Wash the cucumbers, slice off 1/16 inch of the blossom end, and soak them in an ice bath for 15-30 minutes to firm and crisp them up. There are enzymes in the blossom end that can make your pickles soft, so be sure to remove them.

Fermented-Kosher-Dill-Pickles-2.jpg

Gather your fresh Garlic and Dill and pickling spices.

Fermented-Kosher-Dill-Pickles-3.jpg

1. Use fennel seeds, mustard, peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice, dill seeds and celery seeds. Feel free to change or embellish! I added a couple of chilies for a little heat.
  2. Fresh Dill and lots of garlic!
  3. Fermented cucumbers need tannin to help keep their skins from going soft. Traditionally, a few grape leaves are used, but bay leaves work well too!
Because these fermented pickles are left whole, you really want the brine to be extra flavorful.
I add a lot of garlic… 10-15 cloves!

Layer the spices, cucumbers, garlic, dill and bay leaves and more cukes, in a large two-quart jar (half-gallon). Press everything down.

Fermented-Pickles.jpg

Carefully measure and mix salt and water to create the salt water brine- then pour this brine over the pickles leaving an inch of headroom.

How salt works in fermentation:

• In a nutshell, using the right ratio of salt in fermentation encourages the growth of healthy bacteria while at the same time kills off bad bacteria. You want to be precise when measuring the salt and water in these kinds of recipes.
  • Too much salt may kill off ALL of the bacteria -preventing fermentation.
  • Too little salt will allow bad bacteria to keep on living. It is a fine balance.

SALT TO WATER RATIO (fermented dill pickles):

• This recipe is a 3 % saltwater brine, which is considered “safe”. It equals 7 grams of salt per one cup of water. This ratio allows one to drink the brine (like a shot) because it is not too salty.
  • If you want a stronger brine or longer ferment, feel free to go up to 4.5%. So for example, 3.5% Ratio= 9 grams of salt per 1 cup of water, 4.5% brine =10.8 grams of salt ( 2 tsp salt) per 1 cup of water.
  • Use fine, unprocessed salt (sea salt) and unchlorinated, filtered water for best results.
Weigh down the cucumbers so they are completely submerged under the liquid, using a fermentation weight, or a small zip lock bag filled with a little water (in a pinch).

Note: If the cucumbers or seeds are not submerged under the brine and become exposed to air- they will develop mold.

Step 6: Cover loosely with a lid or towel (to prevent bugs or flies from coming in, and to allow gases to escape) place in a bowl or pan to catch any overflow, and place in a cool dark place for 3-7 days, like the basement.

TIP: I’ve found a slower, cooler, fermentation works best here (60-65F).

Step 7: Check after 2-3 days. Look for signs of life: bubbles/ cloudy water. Tap the jar and see if bubbles rise to the top. Check to see if any brine overflowed into the bowl ( both signs of life). This often takes about 3-5 days depending on temperature. Cloudy brine is a good thing!

Step 8: Place the jar in the fridge to further slow the fermentation with a loose lid.

Voila! Recipe here https://www.feastingathome.com/fermented-pickles/
Next time I do them, I'll take pictures or video of the process, it's so much faster and easier.

jack

I just did another batch of fermented. Crisp and delicious. Nice and sour too.

jack

jack

HotMama_Case_Angle.jpg