What game are you playing on a Nintendo console at the moment?

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
So I actually got the SAME battery, so I've already ordered a new higher capacity battery for my Switch Lite. I'll get it right this time.

I'm actually playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I'd like to get through this game. I have a question for y'all though. Is Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes a sequel to Three Houses or is it a sequel to Warriors? I've tried playing Warriors but it doesn't play like any other Dynasty Warriors game I've played so I didn't get very far in it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Three Hopes is kind of an alternate take on the events of Three Houses, like a parallel dimension. Definitely play Three Houses first because a lot of the story stuff isn't gone over in as much detail in Three Hopes.

CaptainWacky

Okay so when I'm playing something on Switch, I usually just put the console to sleep so I can pick up where I left off. It's a very useful feature! I've been playing nothing but P5R for a while now. I haven't been manurally saving the game because WHY WOULD I...

I turned it on today and got an error message, something like "software closed due to error." NO BIG DEAL, or so I thought. Surely I'd just pick up from the latest autosave...

WHAT KIND OF FUCKING GAME IN THE YEAR 2023 DOESN'T HAVE AUTOSAVE? PERSONA FUCKING 5 ROYAL, THAT'S WHAT.

So my latest saved was in Futuaba's palace before the boss. I'd done that sometime in early August (in game, obviously not real life) and had played all the way up to when Haru joins and Morgana rejoins near the end of September. I lost seven weeks of in game time/probably seven hours real time.

The worst part is this section of the game was feeling A BIT of a slog with tons of cutscenes in Hawaii then tons more for the Morgana storyline. For a long time I wouldn't have been able to save even if I'd wanted to. I'd only just gotten control back but oops now I have to go through all that again! I know you can fast forward the cutscenes but there doesn't seem to be a way to skip them entirely. This is not good!

I understand not having autosave in the palaces, and luckily for me I was using the safe rooms just in case I fucked something up. But I can see no reason at all not to have the game autosave after making me watch two hours of cutscenes. And who even thinks to save before suspending the game; the Switch is supposed to just start up again!

Because I did Furtaba's palace early in August I'd done a shitload of confidant stuff before the Hawaii trip and now I have to do all that again (plus getting various jobs to track down leads for Mementos.

PLUS PUT AN AUTOSAVE IN PERSONA 6 FOR WHEN I PLAY IT ON SWITCH 2 IN 2033, ATLUS.

Okay, I got back to where I was (Morgan's saying "mweheheheheh!" again), but another weird thing has happened. When I was playing this part the first time I did a few levels of Mishima's confidant, since I'd been ignoring him for months. He was always standing in the red light district (bit dodgy!) near the fortune teller. But now he's just...not there? He's not anywhere? And I've been going to the Fortune Teller a lot. Did Mishima get deleted from the game when it crashed? IS THAT A THING? (It's probably not a thing.)

CaptainWacky

Oh I didn't realise you could actually walk around there, I've just been to the electronics shop with Futaba and Hifumi.

Unrelated: why is the music in the airshoft shop such a bop.

CaptainWacky

Are there literally any JRPGs that don't end with you fighting God.

SAUSAGEMAN

I've read that the script and translation are shit in Engage. How are you faring with it?
i'm skipping the cutscenes. it's a really good fire emblem game where you move your units around and they fight the other units. the plot is absolute shit but I don't care.

CaptainWacky

I haven't played anything but P5R for three months. I like it! I do wish some parts went buy a bit quicker though! I'm onto the Royal conent now so I should be finally able to start Fire Emblem in a couple of weeks. Then by the time I finish that it'll be nearly time for Tears of The Kingdom.

CaptainWacky

Was Link driving a tractor.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Keep in mind he died in 1997...

CaptainWacky

I'm looking forward to playing Oracle of Ages/Seasons and The Minish Cap for the first(!) time.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Im currently playing Oddworld.

81KgPv0qZgS.jpg

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I've been getting back into ThaBeast's challenge to beat every N64 game. Up to game 100 out of 393. Of course, the N64 has loads of good games, but some of the most entertaining episodes are when he takes on the Japanese exclusives that can be a real slog. The games are picked by RNG, and he got Super Robot Wars 64 (70+ hours to complete) and then Majhong Master (30 hours to complete) back to back with no translation other than on GameFaq. He had to get actual coaching to become decent enough at Majhong as well. Commitment levels are high. It's fun.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I LOVE donkey kong 64

CaptainWacky

Persona 5 Royal - I spent three months and 130+ hours playing this game so I thought I'd write a review. I really liked the game! That's why I spent so long on it! Where it really and immediately excels is the presentation. The art style, the battle animations, the music, the voice acting...it's all great and cool. It made me really wish I was a Japanese teenager who is friends with other Japanese teenagers and has a cat. The length of the game is, for the most part, a huge positive too. I really got into the routine of the game, using my two units of time a day effectively (well, eventually, MORE ON THIS BELOW), grinding in Mementos, doing the palaces...it actually felt weird when I was finished because I felt like I had something I was supposed to be doing but then I remembered it was over. When a game is this big you get nostalgic for things from the start of the game towards the end. The world-building was great. I was invested.

The downside of the length is there are just some parts that can too long without letting you actually play. Like you'd have a meeting with the team where you'd decide to do something and it would take ages to get through...then the next scene would be a text message conversation where they repeat all the exact same information. The part between Futaba and Okumura's palaces was a bit of a slog (it didn't help that my game crashed here and I had to repeat it all, of course!) The endless fights with angels before the "final" boss went on a bit. CONVERSELY I didn't find that the extra Royal content at the end dragged at all. It felt like having a sequel to the game within the game itself. I kind of wished it had went longer, if anything.

I do wish I'd known how to manage the confidant stuff earlier on. The game tells you to "take your time" but there's a lot of stuff you do which is kind of a waste of time when you should be prioritising confidants. Like probably any time I watched a movie or dvd with my cat (before reading 'Art of Cinema'!) was a waste. But I still enjoyed doing it. I ended up not finishing off all the confidants I wanted and it was a bit frustrating. (I'm not doing new game+ though!)

Also some of the Japanese cultural stuff is a bit icky: it took me a long time to warn to Morgana because of the scene where he's perving at the sex slave version of a teenage girl a rapist created, the two predatory gay men who want to fuck Ryuji, and also kind of the thing where everyone beat up Ryuji all the time when he didn't do anything that bad(?) But you can't have the good quirky Japanese stuff wihtout the weirder stuff slipping through and I did enjoy some of the ridiculous sex stuff just on a silly level (yes, Kawakami, I was a good MASTER.)

Overall it's a great game I enjoyed it!

Haru best girl.