Doctor Who fans to lose their shit again (season 14)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Well they tried to move on with Jodie but the fans gave them shit for it (because of Chibnall's bad writing, but the incels like to blame it on a woman Doctor anyway). Now they're afraid to make a move without trying to please everyone.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"The Doctor is a ni-BONG!"

"I think he said 'The Doctor is near."

"NO, dagnabbit, I said the Doctor is a ni*BONG*!"

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
If Martha wants to move on from Mickey I'll be waiting.

So RTD has said the bi-regeneration thing is retroactive, meaning every former Doctor now regenerated a clone when they died. Meaning none of the ex-Doctors are actually dead anymore. Which just completely cheapens every one of their deaths? Like when the Doctor dies we're sad because we're losing that version but happy because we're getting a new version but now we don't get the sad part which makes the happy part much lesser.

I'll just not think about any of this unless we see it on screen.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Bi-regeneration is dumb and feels like it should have been shot down in the writers room in the first draft. It undermines Ncuti, amongst a host of other implications that are not only convoluted but just weaken one of the most compelling aspects of the time lords. It's just a shit idea.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
^ This. It totally undercuts Ncuti's whole run. It's like the show is still shellshocked by the polarizing reaction to a woman Doctor, and now they're going with (GASP) a black Doctor. But to quiet all the incel fans who scream the loudest on the internet, they throw them this bone: "Don't worry, if this new Doctor makes you uncomfortable, we'll still trot out Tennant and maybe some others at Christmas!" Either you believe in your new Doctor to carry the show, or not.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
It totally undercuts Ncuti's whole run.
It's a terrible idea on paper, but this is the most egregious part of it. If they were going for the "really?" reaction, then they got it from me. I just don't get it. I guess they want a way of bringing in now noticeably aged past Doctors when they want, but this feels like a cheap way of doing it and certainly wasn't worth cheapening Ncutis introduction over.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I heard someone say the theory that Tennents Doctor is the one that retires and eventually becomes the curator, the one who likes to use his old faces, but only the favourites.

whisky

Boobie inspector
By the way, if anyone is upset that two doctors came out of one, remember when four died another guy in bandages climbed into his body so five could come out.

So if anything he's been in there for ages

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
^ This. It totally undercuts Ncuti's whole run. It's like the show is still shellshocked by the polarizing reaction to a woman Doctor, and now they're going with (GASP) a black Doctor. But to quiet all the incel fans who scream the loudest on the internet, they throw them this bone: "Don't worry, if this new Doctor makes you uncomfortable, we'll still trot out Tennant and maybe some others at Christmas!" Either you believe in your new Doctor to carry the show, or not.
Disney is involved in producing the show now, aren't they? Why are they determined to fuck up everything anyone ever enjoyed? Why can't they just tell the story they're telling, without having to inject preachy woke garbage like changing Davros? I'm finally getting around to reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" and I'm impressed with how closely "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" movie follows the book. As I was reviewing this, I was shocked to realize it was released by Disney. It's gotten to the point where Disney has ruined their brand so badly I find myself going "but they didn't recast Aslan as a black transgender Muslim! It can't be Disney!" They've fucked up Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Captain America, Snow White and Toy Story, so now they're moving on to Dr. Who.

CaptainWacky

Disney have nothing to do with the creative the show.

StarMan™

Disney is involved in producing the show now, aren't they? Why are they determined to fuck up everything anyone ever enjoyed? Why can't they just tell the story they're telling, without having to inject preachy woke garbage like changing Davros? I'm finally getting around to reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" and I'm impressed with how closely "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" movie follows the book. As I was reviewing this, I was shocked to realize it was released by Disney. It's gotten to the point where Disney has ruined their brand so badly I find myself going "but they didn't recast Aslan as a black transgender Muslim! It can't be Disney!" They've fucked up Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Captain America, Snow White and Toy Story, so now they're moving on to Dr. Who.

Disney are only distributing the show internationally, from what I understand. Well, perhaps not "only"; I think they injected some $$$ into it.

I found RTD's comments post-Children in Need ridiculous, and I certainly didn't appreciate the heavy-handedness of the first episode (I thought it was actually rather well-done, at least up until the insufferable pronoun policing scene, and the less said about "male-presenting" Time Lords, the better). Consequently, I skipped Wild Blue Yonder. But, I'm always sucker for a regeneration.

I am so tired of the polarizing woke conversation. I like plenty of things the contingent who cry foul whenever a character not packing a white, heterosexual penis comes into view. These people are as annoying as those who dogmatically defend every piece of media with progressive elements and forced diversity, no matter how rubbish it is.

I definitely enjoyed it more than the first episode. This time round, the messaging is ... not as bad as last time, but my issue is it's just rammed in there with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Like, a well-dressed dark-skinned man walks into a London shop in 1925 ... I'm counting down the seconds before someone draws attention to his skin color.

And then Shelley the wheelchair. I mean, Shelley in the wheelchair. She's in wheelchair, in case you hadn't noticed. Kate's apology to her after accusing her of walking - oh boy, I knew it was coming after Kate's SHOCKING accusation, but the way she delivered the apology so earnestly... it was the biggest, unintentional LOL moment of the episode. Which reminds me - the "park / offensive?" "Borderline" exchange between Shelley and Donna. Again: what - the - FUCK? Enough already. Why not make an interesting character that just happens to be in a wheelchair. Why draw attention to it at every opportunity? RTD is on a mission, to be sure.

But all that said, if you scrap away the heavy-handed messaging, he can still write a more rip-roaring story than anything Chibnall threw together. As for the positives: NPH was fucking awesome. I couldn't help but think of John Delancie's Q in his wild "Spice Up Your Life" scene. Here is a character completely beyond The Doctor; unencumbered by the rules of reality and only subject to the rules of its own existence - the rules of the game. I really wish we could've kept him around for a while longer, but I suspect NPH was a one-time deal and writing around a character that powerful is tricky.

I thought it was a good concept, overall. I enjoyed the recap of the Doctor's companions and the chat over the first game - "Well THAT'S OKAY THEN". Heh.

Oh, and whatever the hell that biregeneration thing was ... ugh. Tennant had a beautiful, bittersweet ending a decade ago - as did Donna Noble. Personally, I think this exercise in garnering viewers undercuts it.

I am just curious enough to check out Ncuti. He has screen presence and charisma; I already found myself charmed by his performance.

Last edited:

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
And he's not afraid to show a little leg!

CaptainWacky

HOW DID CLARA RIDE A MOTORBIKE INTO THE TARDIS IF IT'S NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE, IN THIS VIDEO I WILL SPEND 48 MINUTES DISCUSSING THIS TOPIC...

CaptainWacky

why the fuyck is this thread so long if we haven't even started series 14 yet

CaptainWacky

the BBC are brinig back Galdaitors what the fuck tha'ts ITV through and throug

THE WOLF MAN

okay starting doctor who now but drinking one whole beer during it so it'll make NO ESNES!!!!

CaptainWacky

Millie Gibson more like Millie Fitson

CaptainWacky

lol Davina

CaptainWacky

okay i'll stop and watch is PROPERLY now