Doctor Who fans to lose their shit again (season 14)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
It sounds like the Doctor Who theme!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Bah. I like the themes they used up until 1979 or so. Spooky and electronic.

CaptainWacky

At first I read it as all three episodes coming to Disney+ on the 25th but being weekly on the BBC and thought "OH BOY THIS WILL CAUSE OUTRAGE" but I was wrong and they're coming weekly on both. DODGED AN MISREAD BULLET THERE.

CaptainWacky

Stop trying to make "Whoniverse" a thing.

CaptainWacky

Actually pretty good for a Children In Need throwaway sketch.

CaptainWacky

I never even thought of him being crippled. I thought he'd just turned himself into a half Dalek over the years.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts

StarMan™

One can understand the rationale behind the argument being put forth, yet still comfortably object to the decision made.

Going forward with new characters? Sure. There isn't a shortage of positive representation for those with disabilities in the new season, from what I understand. But pulling this stunt with a character as iconic as Davros is an over-correction, to put it mildly.

What's more - at least from the various sources I've gleaned today - retconning Davros from a "disabled" character to able-bodied has gone down like a cup of cold sick with those not able-bodied. I'm buggered if I can see who wins from this.

I'd be curious how many individuals not able-bodied were consulted. Davies spoke of the production staff's reservations; many of them are not able-bodied?

Last edited:

StarMan™

I was thinking of other examples where this treatment could be applied.

Perhaps a re-re-re-release of the SW trilogies addresses longstanding concerns over the portrayal of burn victims as villain-types.

Anakin respected the high ground, after all.

StarMan™

I never even thought of him being crippled. I thought he'd just turned himself into a half Dalek over the years.

Same here. I came across a tweet from a wheelchair-bound man known for his Davros cosplays. He commented on how much he loved connecting with other fans and how it had been a real boost to his self-esteem. He went on to say he never once came across negative feedback from fellow wheelchair users. Most of the time, they expressed their jealousy of Davros' chair and wished they had a similar pimped-out ride.

CaptainWacky

Maybe he'll have robot legs now.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This kind of ruins Davros' character. If he, as a result of the war, winds up horribly crippled, blind, and in a wheelchair, it makes sense that he would be driven to create machines to provide mobility and survival to what he thinks is going to become of his race. I won't go so far as to say he's a sympathetic character, but you can at least understand his motivation and how, from his perspective, he's doing the right thing. But if he's completely able-bodied, then he's just a "MUWAHAHAHAHA! EEEEEVILLL!!!" cardboard character who wants to cripple and disfigure his own people because, reasons.

I say again, the reason Khan is such a good villain in TWoK is because Montalban played him as the hero; in Khan's eyes, he's doing the right thing.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Twelve gave him some regeneration energy, I guess they could use that, the writing was on the wall once he opened his eyes.