Doctor Who fans to lose their shit again (season 14)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
lol they straight-up did a MCU-style "WHONIVERSE" ident thing.

CaptainWacky

I couldn't hear half the dialogue over the music.

Doctor Who is back!

whisky

Boobie inspector
The sound mix wasn't great, hope it's better on Disney. Good episode. Didn't realise Rose was trans, did wonder why the boys were shouting a boy's name at her.

StarMan™

Why are you assuming pronouns?

<click>

Aaaaaand that'll do for now. Watch the rest tonight.

Sorry about the stairs ...

Laying it on pretty fucking thick there, RTD.

At first, I was actually a little suspect of the UNIT lady, but then I thought "don't be silly!" - she's in a wheelchair.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I liked it. Which doesn't say anything about its quality, I'm no judge of that.

It packed a lot of exposition in one episode so it sometimes felt rushed, like "oh, this is happening already?" It was lighthearted even at its most dire/tragic. It almost felt like an extended Red Nose Day episode in its metaness and willingness for everything to be wrapped up so neatly so fast.

Yasmin Finney was good, but... I mean, I'm a notorious Heartstopper fangirl so I SQUEE at the thought of her being in this, but in a way, her acting was so subdued, it's like her energy didn't match the frenetic energy of everyone around her. Maybe that was baked into the character, since she possessed some Time Lord-ness in her DNA so things just roll off her more easily, but I don't think I've ever heard her yell/scream once in anything I've seen her in. Is that because of the roles she's had, or is it because she doesn't have much range? I'm not gonna be the judge, it'll ruin my buzz...

So we get two more Tennant/Donna eps before he volcanoes into Ncuti, and then I get Jinkx Monsoon and NPH as villains. I'm good!

CaptainWacky

I thought her acting felt a bit weird too, which made Donna's "my daughter can't act" line somewhat unfortunate. But she was also 20 playing a 14 year old so that must be hard (I assume she's only meant to be about 14, as Donna said she had her "breakdown" 15 years ago and that would have been before her wedding?)

The part where BEEP THE MEEP talked about "The Boss" was kind of weird since Beep was meant to be the dictator of a whole planet and probably wouldn't have a boss? A total RTD "You Are Not Alone" foreshadowing type thing to do, of course.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I don't think the sonic generating shields is something that ruins the show, sure they might have been useful in the past, but they take a while to set up, and have to be moved by hand, and probably won't even work against daleks ect.

It makes the show seem a bit more up to date compared to marvel and star trek.

CaptainWacky

And he breaks the sonic or drops it down the toilet in half the episodes anyway.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

I thought the second episode was better than the first. The BIG ARMS are the kind of thing that would have creeped me out as a child. Good to see Cribbins again.

Shocked they actually mentioned "The Flux" and the fact that half the universe was destroyed because of the Doctor. It's pretty silly!

whisky

Boobie inspector
It seemed like a remake of midnight with no extras.

Sir Issac Newton was a bit browner than I was expecting.

I think we might have seen Will's only scene.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Good episode. The VFX were off the charts good. (How much of that spacehship were physical sets? Just the side alleys and the two ends?)

But it didn't feel like a whole standalone episode as much as a placeholder middle episode within a 3-part story. The whole first half was "where are we?" The answer turned out to be interesting, but then they also basically told us in the first 15 minutes that the TARDIS will be coming back to rescue them at the last minute from whatever the Big Bad was. So I never felt like the stakes were all that high...

Great to see Wilf. Hopefully there's a few more minutes of footage of him in the next one...

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm afraid that's it for Wilf.

The floor in the corridor was real everything else was green screen. As you say smaller rooms real.

Big arms real believe it or not.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Apparently so! (It's an 18-post thread)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I really liked that, I guess it turned into a multi doctor story after all.

CaptainWacky

The 'Spice Up Your Life' lip sync was the most RTD thing to ever RTD.

So...how does the two Doctors thing work? What happens when Tennant dies? Does he regenerate or does he just die? You'd think someone would have asked this in the episode!

And are they not planning to do any episodes set in present day London (RTD's favourite setting!) because if they do everyone's just going to be saying "WHERE'S TENNANT?"

Rose's acting seemed better in the couple of minutes she was in it.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
For an RTD throw a million things at the wall and see which stick type episode it was pretty good. It wasn't as good as last week.

I think NPH thought doing bad accents was more funny than it actually way.

So...how does the two Doctors thing work? What happens when Tennant dies? Does he regenerate or does he just die? You'd think someone would have asked this in the episode!
I think the idea is that 15 still follows 14, it's just out of sync so that 14 chills out for a bit with Donna and then 15 is a bit more mentally healthy because of it, except both are just happening at the same time. So I guess when Tennant dies he gets reabsorbed back into Gatwa?

But it's a bit weird to me that we're getting the first black Doctor and it's in the context of "But don't worry, the popular white Doctor you all like is still around in case the ratings fall again!", Like I like David Tennent and he's a pretty good Doctor but Doctor Who is so much bigger than him. I hate that both the 50th and 60th anniversaries were focused around him coming back, and now they can just bring him back whenever because god forbid we ever move on.