tsk, tsk, tsk

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings
Ah, but that's the point: it didn't erase the history of France, but rather acknowledged it and highlighted a part of it. And the fact that Google as an engine used worldwide seems to have no problem with that particular google bomb should tell you something about the way the world thinks about France :D

In "acknowledging" this "part" of it, you're deliberately ignoring other "parts" in France's history in which she served as a beacon of enlightenment, philosophy, art, and human rights. Liberté, égalité, fraternité.

Gimme a fucking break. The French Revolution was the slaughtering of one part of the population by the other part. Killing off other people because you can't find a way to get your point across without blood-shedding is supposed to be praised? It's just a little bit of history repeating - the victims get some chance at making things better, but instead use the same violent means and techniques as their oppressors. No wait, they did invent the use of the Guillotine, didn't they? What an inspiration indeed! It sure paved the way for leaders to kill unwanted citizens without fuss.

You can theorize about how Guillotine is evil, and "point out" the non existent irony behind executing a tyrant while chillaxing behind your PC screen. However, in the rush of the moment, after getting your hands on a tyrant who oppressed you for years, disposing of him or not shouldn't be much of a dilemna, should it ? Anyway, I agree, Guillotine is an extremely villainous way of killing someone. We should have used gas chambers, instead. ;)

And besides, it's not like it was democracy that bloomed after the killing was over. The stupid twats had no better idea than to hand over the reigns to Napoleon, who managed to involve the rest of Europe in his idiotic power game.

Napoleon Bonaparte, no matter how much you want to criticize him and his methods, was a necessity for France. Besides, who said that democracy is the standard we have to judge political systems with ?

One of Napoleon's greatest achievements was whipping your Germanic butts :bigass:.

So now the French have invented the Internet? Al Gore will not be amused.

Where did I say that the French have invented the Internet ?

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
In "acknowledging" this "part" of it, you're deliberately ignoring other "parts" in France's history in which she served as a beacon of enlightenment, philosophy, art, and human rights. Liberté, égalité, fraternité.
Hm, maybe I wasn't able to get my point across: There isn't, and never has been, a time or place on this planet where true égalité, true liberté or even fucking fraternité have been realized. There is no real democracy to be found. Therefore, the claim that the French Revolution has somehow made freedom, equality and brotherhood possible is rather pointless.
I kinda like Voltaire's work, though.

In "acknowledging" this "part" of it, you're deliberately ignoring other "parts" in France's history
Just to make this clear: I do neither. I was being flippant in the first place. I do not give a rat's ass about how any nation is being viewed upon. Including Germany.

You can theorize about how Guillotine is evil, and "point out" the non existent irony behind executing a tyrant while chillaxing behind your PC screen. However, in the rush of the moment, after getting your hands on a tyrant who oppressed you for years, disposing of him or not shouldn't be much of a dilemna, should it ?
I don't think the Guillotine is evil; there is no such thing as Evil in my perception of reality. I don't even think it is ironic that people do the same shit over and over again, I guess it is just the way we work. What I do find pathetic is the self-adulation and claim that "we did something special and new" whenever a group of humans found another way to fuck with their fellow people. History always is the history of the winner, everything you read about the past is propaganda, nothing else.
And yeah, "disposing" of somebody should always be a dilemma. The fact that it obviously never has been, and never will, is what makes me despise my own species at times.

Anyway, I agree, Guillotine is an extremely villainous way of killing someone. We should have used gas chambers, instead. ;)
LOL, villainous? No. And again, you missed my point, maybe it was too subtle? Of course the Guillotine wasn't the first apparatus to make executions less troublesome for the ones ordering them, but it sure was a great step towards developing even more "efficient" and inhumane ways of Genocide.

And what about this "We should have used.." Were you there during the French Revolution? I certainly haven't been around when Germans sent people into the gas chambers, so if mentioning that was a try to raise my hackles, it didn't succeed ;)

Napoleon Bonaparte, no matter how much you want to criticize him and his methods, was a necessity for France.
Oh, I am certain it was. My point was that when people praise the glorious effects of French Revolution, they also might want to remember that what immediately followed wasn't democracy, but dictatorship.
Who said that democracy is the standard we have to judge political systems with ?
Well I certainly don't. As I said, true democracy has not been realized anyway, so we cannot say if it would serve as a means to make people happy. In fact, there is no existing political system that does. Actually, I think it's about time we stop thinking in political systems.

One of Napoleon's greatest achievements was whipping your Germanic butts :bigass:.

Well, good for him. But unfortunately, it really didn't do much for him, either, now did it? ;)

Where did I say that the French have invented the Internet ?
Well, you were the one telling me the French Revolution enabled me to make and laugh about online jokes - how exactly did you think it accomplished that? Do you believe technical advances in general or the invention of the internet depend on the political systems they are being made in?

Anyway, don't have much time right now, so we gotta postpone this discussion until I am back on Monday, if you are still interested, that is :D

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
I have to say that when I visited France, the people were nicer than I'd been led to believe. And I was in fact able to get ketchup with my fries and ice in my soda.

If it hadn't been for all the dog shit on the sidewalks, and having to use filthy public toliets without seats or TP, I'd would've enjoyed myself quite a bit!

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
LOL IT WAS JUST A JOKE OKAY?!? ;)
I love France, when I visited there, I couldn't get enough of the landscape and wine and castles and stuff!
But the public toilets are yuck, that much even the Marquis has to admit!

Hm, maybe I wasn't able to get my point across: There isn't, and never has been, a time or place on this planet where true égalité, true liberté or even fucking fraternité have been realized. There is no real democracy to be found. Therefore, the claim that the French Revolution has somehow made freedom, equality and brotherhood possible is rather pointless.
I kinda like Voltaire's work, though.

Just to make this clear: I do neither. I was being flippant in the first place. I do not give a rat's ass about how any nation is being viewed upon. Including Germany.

I don't think the Guillotine is evil; there is no such thing as Evil in my perception of reality. I don't even think it is ironic that people do the same shit over and over again, I guess it is just the way we work. What I do find pathetic is the self-adulation and claim that "we did something special and new" whenever a group of humans found another way to fuck with their fellow people. History always is the history of the winner, everything you read about the past is propaganda, nothing else.
And yeah, "disposing" of somebody should always be a dilemma. The fact that it obviously never has been, and never will, is what makes me despise my own species at times.

LOL, villainous? No. And again, you missed my point, maybe it was too subtle? Of course the Guillotine wasn't the first apparatus to make executions less troublesome for the ones ordering them, but it sure was a great step towards developing even more "efficient" and inhumane ways of Genocide.

And what about this "We should have used.." Were you there during the French Revolution? I certainly haven't been around when Germans sent people into the gas chambers, so if mentioning that was a try to raise my hackles, it didn't succeed ;)

Oh, I am certain it was. My point was that when people praise the glorious effects of French Revolution, they also might want to remember that what immediately followed wasn't democracy, but dictatorship.
Well I certainly don't. As I said, true democracy has not been realized anyway, so we cannot say if it would serve as a means to make people happy. In fact, there is no existing political system that does. Actually, I think it's about time we stop thinking in political systems.

Well, good for him. But unfortunately, it really didn't do much for him, either, now did it? ;)

Well, you were the one telling me the French Revolution enabled me to make and laugh about online jokes - how exactly did you think it accomplished that? Do you believe technical advances in general or the invention of the internet depend on the political systems they are being made in?

Anyway, don't have much time right now, so we gotta postpone this discussion until I am back on Monday, if you are still interested, that is :D

Allow me to internalize my structural bowels : see, the elaboration of the crux of the fact annihilates the cognitive liquidation of the traumatized certainties. Therefore, the anticipative - no pun intended :D - globalization of my preposterous flagellation testiculates the interception of my venerial synapses.

The pancreatic philosophy of your post civilizes the penile colostomy in order to suppress the deficitation of my impeachment.

:)

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
You're an idiot, MDS

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings

It's not pointless. Throughout history, it is key events like the French Revolution that gave birth to new political systems and social pacts. Although absolute liberty, fraternity, and equality are doubtful to ever be attained, there is always room for improvement. La Révolution Francaise was a turning point.

I know. All you care about is the greater good of the human race, pointing out that humans should not kill each other, et cetera. :)

You're contradicting yourself. One one hand, you're trying to portray yourself as non restrained by a certain set of morals (the perception of good and evil), and on the other you seem can't break free from it. It's not necessary that killing = bad. It's really easy to advocate for hippism and nonviolence from behind your PC screen, but during the course of history, such clashes were inevitable. The path of freedom and "democracy" was always stained with blood. And yes, it is something special when the people revolt over feudalism and divine monarchies. :bigass:

You cannot lump all acts of violence into the same category.

Perhaps is it because there was no "point" at all ?

What's "but it sure was a great step towards developing even more "efficient" and inhumane ways of Genocide" supposed to mean ?

You mean "efficient genocide" as opposed to a non-efficient genocide ? Or maybe "inhumane ways of Genocide" as opposed to humane ways of Genocide" ?

Supposing that what you wrote is actually a meaningful sentence, how exactly is Guillotine an "effective" method of genocide ? How viable is to line up a population of, say 400 000 people and execute each one individually with a Guillotine ?

Well I certainly don't. As I said, true democracy has not been realized anyway, so we cannot say if it would serve as a means to make people happy. In fact, there is no existing political system that does. Actually, I think it's about time we stop thinking in political systems.[/QUOTE]

If we're to substitute your usage of the word "democracy" by "good" or "welfare of the human race" , your sentences would have retained the same meaning. As if democracy was the standard, while in fact it's a rotten system privileging a majority of dumb fucks, which is maybe why you like it so much in the first place.

Ilyanna said:

Okay, Éliane. A plus tard.

SuN

.:~**~.~**~.~**~:.
funny-pictures-cat-with-mice.jpg

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings

Marquis De Sade

I came for the spankings
Bump, for the cause.