The Mandalorian

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy, I really feel for Hayden and have wanted him back in some capacity to do something on sheer merit alone but I don't see how this doesn't totally compromise what we know about both characters. Sure, flashbacks are a thing but that doesn't really work 15+ years later for both guys.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Maybe Vader's helmet just happens to fall off all the time.

MODMAN

I loved the last episode - looking forward to tonight's. I will say after the last episode I felt a little dismayed. Sure, Mandalorian has got a lot of territory to play in and there's plenty of room between now and the sequel movies. But... ya know ... fuck the movies, especially the steaming pile of awfulness that is TROS. It's just such a pity this series (and others) can't expand out into the SW Universe completely unencumbered by what is to come.

SW has really knocked it out of the ballpark on the small screen. Yet, the same company that delivered on CW's final season and now Mando also conceived of the giant clusterfuck that is the sequel trilogy. It's painful.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Something that took longer to sink in than it should have.

I can't go in there, they might recognise my face.

CaptainWacky

It's good that Slave 1 still has its seismic charges.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Maybe they just automatically replenish, like Bobas jet pack missiles. Also model Boba Fetts are a lot easier to paint now.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
If I had a spaceship I'd want one like Boba's.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I absolutely loved this one. It ranks really high on my favorite episodes from the whole show so far. Seeing the Empire from the "other side" so to speak, and of course my boy, `Billy Bitch Tits` bringing the acting chops! I am the biggest Bill Burr stan going and have been for over a decade so I am just as hype to see him in an episode as I am Fett or Ahsoka and he really delivered in this one.

Also, I was wondering how long it would take before we got to see Pedro without the mask again. It must be slightly frustrating that they made this, let's be honest, arbitrary rule for Mando, so we don't get to see the actor except under special circumstances in one of the hottest shows in memory. I'm sure Pedro has been angling to get more proper screen time and I don't blame him.

CaptainWacky

He acted the maskless conflict very well.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It's a rollercoaster of emotions, and don't even think about turning it off during the credits.

CaptainWacky

I think we were all pretty sure the season was going to end with a Jedi showing up. I never for a second thought it would be an EU character like Mara Jade because that would have been pointless as 99.9% of the audience wouldn't have recognised her (and even those who did might have just thought it was stupid.) Never thought it would be Ezra either; again not recognisable enough. I knew it would be a recognisable Jedi from the movies and that's why I feared it would be a cyborg Mace Windu or something. So I was relieved it was Luke. He made by far the most sense of the available options since he was around in this time period and would have been looking to recruit young Jedi.

But was I happy that it was a weird CGI Luke whose eyes didn't move? Ehhhh...

It's just...it takes you out of the moment when you know you're not looking at a real person. Like Tarkin and Leia in Rogue One. I don't mind CGI de-agings like the Marvel movies have done, but this was clearly a deepfake rather than actual Mark Hamill (apart from the voice.) I'm assuming because Mark Hamill isn't enough of a phsyical match for young Luke anymore to be able to be de-aged. So instead of feeling "WOW IT'S LUKE" I was looking for fidelity. Honestly I felt much more emotional when R2 came in. Baby Yoda and R2 meeting was an unexpected delight. That felt real.

What's most surprising is that Gorgu won't be in season 3 now? I'm shocked that Disney would let their cute little merchandise machine leave the show. I'm predicting the season 3 cliffhanger is a time jump followed by a teenage Gorgu showing up and saying "hi, Dad" to Mando.

I've seen people already saying "LOL THIS MEANS GORGU WILL BE KILLED BY BEN" but isn't this at least fifteen years before Luke's school is wiped out? Surely Gorgu will have finished Jedi school by the time Ben turns to Kylo Ren. That was one thing I always wondered about the sequels, didn't Luke have any other students who graduated before the massacre? Did Snoke do an Order 66 on them?

Didn't Bo-Katen previously accept the Darksaber from Sabine? Why couldn't she take it from Mando?

It was weird how they were so careful not to kill Gideon, like they might as well have shouted "WE NEED YOU FOR SEASON THREE."

"Sasha Banks just gave Boba Fett a tornado DDT!" feels like one of my thread titles.

Ming-Na Wen is so hot.

I liked Fat Bib Fortuna and am sad he instantly died.

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
What if Mando and Grogo just aren't in season 3?

Maybe it's just Boba and Ming-ga in season 3, and then Mando comes back in 2022?

You can't miss someone if they never go away.

Very strong ROTJ vibes in this from the shuttle, to Jabbas palace, to Luke's costume.

When he first put the hood back I was like fuck yeah! And then he moved and he is straight out of battlefront.

I liked how the dark troopers looked like they were old school stop motion, definitely got terminator vibes from him repeatedly getting punched in the head.

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
That was fun. I agree it being CGI Mark Hamill (who didn't sound like either young or old Mark Hamill??) was a bit too distracting as instead of going "Wow Luke Skywalker" you go "Is that CGI or a recast? I think it's CGI.". I agree that R2 being there was better because R2-D2 is the heart of Star Wars fuck you BB-8.

I think Grogu will be back in, like, episode three of the next season.