Movie trailers

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Will Pinocchio have a wooden cock this time?

CaptainWacky

This is quite the cast.

CaptainWacky

This will be good.

CaptainWacky

Margot Robbie is in a lot of movies.

This makes sense as she is good.

CaptainWacky

I watched this trailer because I like Kaitlyn Dever...

Clearly aimed at younger people than me, BUT ISN'T EVERYTHING THESE DAYS? God, I'm so old. Death draws ever nearer.

These kind of historical things but the characters talk like modern day seem to be all the rage now so good luck to them.

CaptainWacky

TURTLE POWER

It's weird how nobody thought of having the turtles actually sound like teenagers before now.

CaptainWacky

She was often depicted as black in the original comics.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

omg

CaptainWacky

I wish my parents were alive and paid Jennifer Lawrence to date me.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts

StarMan™

She was often depicted as black in the original comics.

I'm not a fan of race swapping; it's often a token gesture and is almost exclusively a white-to-black trade, which is itself exclusionary, funnily enough. Why not get creative with the practice and try - I dunno - an Asian Black Panther? Anyway, little did I know the smokin' hot alabaster O'Neil that titillated me in my youth was a race swap. If I condemn the practice, I must do some consistently.

I remember a mate of mine in Primary School was a TMNT fan to the Nth Degree. His bedroom was covered floor-to-ceiling with Turtle paraphernalia. We made a vow to each other on a school trip: "We're gonna be friends and Turtle fans FOR LIFE." I think he moved the following year and I never saw him again.

Anyway, Google tells me the co-creator of TMNT based April's look on then-girlfriend / wife, April Fisher - who was of mixed race.

lhuntloe31j81.jpg

tmnt-april-oneil-new.jpg

At least short fat black gnomes finally have some representation beyond garden spaces and can see themselves.

The Question

Eternal

CaptainWacky

I'm not a fan of race swapping; it's often a token gesture and is almost exclusively a white-to-black trade, which is itself exclusionary, funnily enough. Why not get creative with the practice and try - I dunno - an Asian Black Panther?

Because he's the hereditary ruler of an African nation.

TMNT is a frequently reinvented franchise aimed at children not a sacred religious text so I don't know what possible different April's appearance would make.

The Question

Eternal
so I don't know what possible different April's appearance would make.
Then they had no reason for the race swap. Unless they did have a reason for it, and that suggests that it does make a difference. It's a simple case of cultural appropriation.

And laziness on the part of the production team. "We can't make a pudgy little black girl that anybody would want to watch, so we're going to appropriate this existing character that people already like and hope that they just accept that it's the same character."

I'm sure the appearance won't be the only change, either. I suspect they'll Velma-ize her, with similar results.

CaptainWacky

I'm not really familiar with the character but it doesn't look bad.