"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
There's a decent chance this is my last dog. I love her and she's a good dog, but I like active dogs and I'm getting too old for an active dog. It warmed up for a couple days, so I put away my cold weather gear yesterday. Was supposed to snow yesterday night but we just got a light dusting. Woke up this morning. 3" of snow on the ground and still coming down (I've got a thing up in Indy tonight so yay for that) and temperature dropping slowly but steadily.

So I unpacked all my cold weather gear. Morning walk was relatively uneventful. I mean, apart from crawling up a steep snowcovered railroad embankment and being annoyed when The Dog would stop to smell some random patch of ground for 2 minutes. Then circle back to smell it again after walking 30-40 feet. Lunch and a nap then out for the afternoon walk. This time she wanted to head down the bank to the creek. This is treacherous on an ideal day so I was resolved to just slide down most of it on my butt. I tore my ACL years back and the repair is stronger than not having it repaired, but not as strong as an undamaged ACL. So if I lose my balance it's usually better to just fall down than to try to "save" myself. I learned this on this same bank maybe a year ago, when I slipped in dirt and didn't want to get the new black jeans I'd *just* put on dirty. But not only did The Dog want to go down to the creek, she wanted to cross the creek. At this point, falling down isn't an option because there are head-sized rocks all over. In retrospect I should've sat down right away. I didn't and slipped slightly. Just enough to remind me my ACL only maybe 80% strength. The Dog, being about 1/3 my weight, a lot closer to the ground, and with 4 points of contact tipped with claws, ran around like everything was normal.
So now I've got to get *up* the other side of the creek bank. This is under a big concrete road bridge, so I stuck to areas where there wasn't any snow and gingerly made my way up. The Dog is good enough to wait for me.

I'm getting ahead of myself and should mention, having been below freezing for some time, the (uneven and covered with slick grass) ground is frozen hard--no sinking your foot into the soil for traction. Because of the cold, the snow is that light powder that just compresses and becomes even slipperier when stepped on instead of melting. So I'm stumbling along as best I can, cursing my life while The Dog happily trots along ahead of me. We got down to the turnaround point. There's a cut in the creek that is reinforced with big concrete landscape blocks. Not the kind you get at the hardware store, the kind they put in front of government buildings to deter bombers. They're tiered like a 15' tall pyramid. Oh, I'm ahead of myself again. By crossing over the creek, we were now on the side that my house is on. Instead of nearly killing me, we could've walked 3 blocks on cleared level pavement to get to where we came up the bank. So anyway, we're at the turnaround. I make it back down to the creek and make it across the ford without falling over or falling in and pick my way up the other bank--all the while prepared to fall if I slip. We eventually made it back to the first bridge with minimal falls or slips, but did have to scrabble back up the slick bank to where The Dog tore around like a lunatic for awhile for some reason. Then it was back down to the original creek crossing to cross a second time and go home. She's snoring on the bed behind me and I won't accomplish anything productive because I need to start getting ready for my trip up to Indy.

On an unrelated note, had some money come on as expected and am very close to being back at my emergency cash reserves after the misery of December's expenses. Of course once I pay upcoming bills that'll take up about half of that money and doing back of the envelope math, it will be very hard to do anything but stay caught up until I rent out my vacant property. When that happens, life will be good, but until it does I'm one catastrophe from being back on the ropes. And this isn't even paying back the additional money I drew from my HELOC loan. Life's a lot of work when you're going to die no matter what you do and the best you can hope for is to make the trip as comfortable as possible.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'd stick this in the "...Randomness..." thread, but it is maybe a little too...confrontational?

Other day, grocery shopping, I saw something that, to me, nailed the failure of Woke Disney: They had "Little Mermaid" balloons as an impulse item at the checkout. Obviously they were the 1989 cartoon Little Mermaid, because that image reproduces much better and more inexpensively than a photo--even without wondering about royalties--do they have to pay Hailey Berry if they put her on a balloon? I bet they don't have to pay any of the 1989 animators.

But the big point is that it makes an uncomfortable and confusing story for your customer: "Momma, why is the Little Mermaid white?" How do you explain that? "Well, dear, originally, the cartoon Little Mermaid was white..." That's not a conversation anyone wants to have with a toddler. Why make things harder for your customer? If you want a black live action princess, do a live action "Princess & the Frog". Simple. Easy. Done. Doesn't create headaches for the person paying for the tickets.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Life is harder when you worry. And have pets. I can see why people put cameras everywhere. [Trying to organize this. Probably failing.]

This afternoon I'm doing dishes and hear clattering glassware. I'm confused by this because the place where one would hear clattering glassware is in the kitchen. Where I'm doing dishes.

Then I remember I have a cat. I come into the back bedroom (which is set up as a sitting room). The fancy lighter from my parents is laying on its side on the coffee table. Why? Oh, right. I have a cat. Meanwhile The Cat is on the couch with a big tuft of hair pulled up. I pull it the rest of the way off and see an corresponding tuft of hair on the coffee table. What happened? I will never know.

Old Dog had problems with the living room. The floor in there is a bit spongy, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was, beyond that she was old and had experienced back problems since she was 3. I'd employed a lot more rugs even before we moved to the new house. So I'm sitting in here and I hear a clattering of claws/nails on laminate. Odd, since The Cat is Out. But I think nothing of it. Until I come out to the other guest bedroom that adjoins the master bedroom and see New Dog, sitting at the doorway to the living room, staring out. I was getting another cocktail so she followed me through the living room to the kitchen and I heard her, behind me, struggling with the living room floor. Now she's out in the carpeted space behind the kitchen, where her bowls are and she drank a bunch of water. I have no idea what happened or why she suddenly can't navigate the living room floor--or why it gave Old Dog such pause.

This is my life. Cameras might help. I don't know.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Lots going on over the next 5 days or so. Finally got a renter on the new place. So I've got to get the bare minimum of cleaning out the garage done from the list of stuff to do that short cold wet days has slowed my progress on. Making good progress but could be better.

The actual accomplishment is a bit anticlimactic. Theoretically, I get a better than 33% jump in income each month, but the reality is the bank gets about 50% of it just for interest on the loan. The property manager gets 10%. 10% goes to the county for taxes (although not until the end of the year) and around 5% goes to the insurance company. After all that there isn't even enough to cover my medical bill that my former shitty health insurance company burned me on.

None of this is really a surprise and the reality is that even if I never paid down the principal the property will accrue value over the years. But I'll likely be stuck with my rotten part time job (or need to look for a less rotten part time job) for at least awhile.

Also, the goal of real estate (once I finally figured it out) was to be able to retire early. Before I started buying rental properties I figured I'd have to work until I was at least 62 to achieve my financial goal. Given that I'm not at my net worth goal until I've paid off the loan, technically with real estate I won't achieve my retirement goal until...at least 62. Yes, there are mitigating factors, but that isn't even a worst case scenario. Things could happen that would push past even 62.

I'm also renting out shed space for extra money. My first renter was a kid just out of the Army and starting a tech support job for a big healthcare provider. He got himself an '86 Toyota Supra Turbo to fix up as a hobby. I felt his goal was a bit...ambitious, but I'm not his Dad and it's his money. Well IT isn't the secure job it once was. I suspect they hired up to cover remote work for the 'rona and he wound up getting laid off after a few months. The payments kept coming in for about a year, but I knew the writing was on the wall when he came to pick up his tools and asked if I knew anyone who was interested in buying. Eventually the payments stopped and the company the renting is done through arranged for a wrecker to come and get it.

I wouldn't mention this except today, after the morning Dog walk, my neighbor across the street asked if he'd seen a Supra come out of my driveway on a truck. I told him the story and he said he'd have loved to own it. Never would've occurred to me to ask him when the kid fell on hard times. It's too bad he didn't see the kid have it dropped off. Then we could've had that conversation a year ago and when the kid needed to sell the car he could've had a chance to buy it. Oh well. I've typed for 15 minutes longer than I had time for. Better get going.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
"You gonna get another job?"...

HELL NO!...I haven't had a job since 2010. Didn't need one since I'm PAYED-IN-FULL for life... I used to roll up, this is a hold up, ain't nothing funny...Stop smilin', be still, don't nothing move but the money...But now I learned to earn 'cause I'm righteous.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm going through one of those periods where I can definitely relate to the Donner Party. Oh, nothing so bad, but I have a frame of reference. From what I understand, they were within sight of the pass and would've made it over the next day but they had to stop and there was a blizzard overnight that doomed them.

I've got to clean out a garage before the 1st (at minimum. There's other things that would be nice to get done). So of course this week I got asked to come in an extra day at work. And I prefer to not drive my van in the rain or the dark. Bad weather seals mean for leaks and I only trust my electrics about 80%. Every dry day I work and every day I have off it rains. Today it hasn't been raining *bad* so I was going to just go for it. But of course then the afternoon dog walk ran long and the rain increased during it, leaving me tired, cold, and wet. And I've got laundry, need groceries, and have a sink full of dishes. And now the sun is down too. Of course I work tomorrow. I should have time before Wednesday to get everything done, but I like a little margin for error. You never know what can go sideways on you. Oh well. It can't be helped.

Just like the Donner Party.

PS: I was like "screw it, I'll just put off chores until Thursday," but unless I want to live on water and ramen noodles and shuffle around in filthy clothes, I gotta do chores. Oh, and I probably couldn't cook the ramen noodles because all the pots are dirty.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
HELL NO!...I haven't had a job since 2010. Didn't need one since I'm PAYED-IN-FULL for life... I used to roll up, this is a hold up, ain't nothing funny...Stop smilin', be still, don't nothing move but the money...But now I learned to earn 'cause I'm righteous.
Paid in full for life....is that the new negro slang for welfare check and government cheese?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Aaand right on cue. Work tonight but I was thinking what corners I could cut in today's routine to go get a load from the garage before and I got a message from my remaining shed space renter, asking when he could come and pick up his stored truck. So less money and taking up time when I don't have any to spare. Why does everything always happen at the same time?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It was supposed to be warm and dry today. It wasn't. But I still managed to load up the van with crap from the garage, in spite of working tonight. At this point I've got 3 days before the tenants get the place and I everything left would fit in the car. But not in 1 trip. So I'll probably bring the van down one more time. Of course I must unload it first.

Because I figured today would be quick--just throw in anything too big to fit in the car and get home. Nope. Because there really wasn't that much that was too big to fit in the car. So at that point it is triage--figure out the things that will suck the most to load in a car and make sure they get loaded. Reposition stuff that's staying so it is tidy and organized. Move it first, so you can sweep the floor. Then move it back. Did I get that sheet of plywood far enough forward when I laid it on the floor of the van or is it going to keep the door from latching? I guess I'd better pray quick that it will because it can't be pushed forward with all the shit piled on it and I don't have time to take everything out and put it back in again. (It did, thank God.)

Got home with enough time to nuke a can of Spaghetti-Os for a 4pm lunch, have a short nap, walk The Dog, nuke a TV dinner, and get to work. 3 days with no work and...not completely terrible weather to get the last of the stuff out and then it's dotting i's and crossing t's to make things as nice as I can before handing over the keys.

Guardedly optimistic. Been very pessemistic for so long but it all boils down to a new (pretty big) chunk of income. I (sort of) tried retiring on less than twice what will be coming in every month. Even with the loan to pay off and the damned medical bill, on paper (I'm hedging so I don't jinx myself) I *should* be in better shape than I was in February 2023. (Fingers crossed.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Got everything out of the garage. Decided to just take the van down again. But I realized then I had to first take everything from the previous load OUT of the van. And the guy storing his truck in my shed was supposed to be coming and getting it tonight at 7. Got the van unloaded with time for dinner before he was supposed to show but then he canceled and asked if he could do 7 tomorrow night, so I had dinner while watching the local news and "Jeopardy!" Was sorely tempted to just blow it off tonight--I've got 2 more days, after all--but I forced myself to go. Now I've got 2 days to dot i's and cross t's--touch-up paint and caulk, minor repairs to the deck, etc--or to just fuck off and start transitioning into Jabba the Hutt.

Jabba is the most inspirational character in "Star Trek." He's a successful businessman who is a key part of the local economy and he does it all from the couch in his living room while throwing a 24/7 house party with a live band and a girl in a bikini chained to the couch while becoming fat as fuck. What's not to like about that?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. This is completely off from everything else I've posted here: The Marine Corps has something called "The Commandant's Reading List." The Commandant (the head of the Marine Corps) publishes a list of books a Marine should read to help them understand their job and the organization they're a part of. It is grouped by rank, with a lot of the drier stuff for the higher ranks (but still lots of good stuff there). There's basic stuff like The Constitution. And the junior ranks have some novels like "Starship Troopers" and "The Red Badge of Courage" while the more senior stuff has books like "A Bridge Too Far" and MacArthur's autobiography. I've read a lot of them, but not anything like even half. I used to have access to some top notch libraries and bookstores ("Reminisences," MacArthur's autobiography is long out of print but in the early 2000s, Powell's City of Books had a top notch military section and I own a copy). At some point there were enough books on it that the present Commandant started taking books off to make room for other books. At that point I stuck with the version of the list from when I was a Lieutenant. This was actually, for my money, the best time to be in the Marines--but that's another story. The point is, I've started reading public domain online stuff so I started looking for things from The Reading List that I could get online free and found Uris' 1953 WWII novel "Battle Cry." On the last chapter now and geez. It's like "Hamlet." Or "Reservoir Dogs." It chugs along for 405 goddamn pages. Once in awhile a token character gets killed off. Then in the penultimate chapter...damn. Just exhausting. Accurate, though, I guess. Another book on the Reading List is a nonfiction about Iwo Jima and it is brutal and exhausting. The guys who raised the flag in the famous photo/sculpture? Pretty much all of them were killed on the island. I've been so fortunate in my life. I really don't appreciate it often enough, with my safe, happy, quiet little life. I'm grateful.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The retirement(?) needle inches closer. Today was the last day I had to work on my vacant rental. Tenants are picking up the keys tomorrow. There's a bit of a lag before I start seeing income from it and once I do, I'll have to run the numbers to make sure they look like what I think they could look like. If everything checks out, I can quit my part time job and have another go at being retired. (I was retired(?) for around 6 months between October and April. I knew I didn't really have enough cash flow from the rentals to do more than scrape by but I thought I'd give it a shot. But I eventually decided I needed a part time job to buffer against expenses--expected and unexpected. It was a good call.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm a simple man, just trying to make my way in the world.

I've said it before, but when I was in my 20s the idea of living in a monastery was horrible. Who would want to wear the same clothes every day, live with no creature comforts, talk to no one, avoid women, and spend your days in prayer and manual labor. And now that I'm older that sounds just wonderful. Peace and quiet.

Finished walking The Dog. Plenty of time to make a dent in deferred chores. Except by the time I'm done walking The Dog I'm so drained that I need to veg out and recharge a bit. I avoided getting run over or any awkward confrontations but the stress and effort that entails tires me out every time. I guess she isn't as exhausting as Old Dog, but still, it's tiring.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, don't get me going on the Unabomber. I have a scattershot post to make about today. I'll tack that onto it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Today is the first day in almost a year that I've had leisure time. Oh, I have a stack of bills that is going on 3 weeks that I need to go through and make sure my cash flow is moving in the right direction. And some other things it would've been nice to get done. But lately The Dog has been acting like she needs to be around other dogs so I took her downtown to the dog park. She is social, but not as social as Old Dog (who really didn't like other dogs *that* much) so after some time at the park, we walked around downtown. And it was so nice to just be free and not worrying about anything. It was also nice to be in a nicer (and more urban) part of town, where there was some litter, but not dirty diapers, bottles of urine, roadkill, a homless camp, and traffic whizzing by at 45mph with no shoulder. I generally like where I live, but it is kinda redneck in many ways. Being on the classier side of town was a nice break.

For awhile now, I've said I felt like a senior in high school--only where you didn't know what the graduation date was. These days I feel like a senior in high school in March or so. Counting the days. Oh, things could still go sideways a million ways. But if they don't, by about the second time the new rent check hits my bank account, I think I'm going to take another shot at being retired.

And I don't know if it's just a frame of mind or Life is genuinely doing things to nudge me to leave my job but man... There's an old lady that works at my job. They must've recently changed her schedule so she's around at closing time (we start while the store is open and then work after it is closed) and in the past week or two she's failed to recognize me at least 75% of the time. We don't wear the vests like the day people, but we use a standard box cutter that is very distinctive--along with generally acting like we work at the place: pulling pallets of boxes, having gloves on, having smart phone scanners to check in inventory. Well one night she sees me and goes "You must be new here." And I say "No, I've been here almost a year." So she apologizes and says she doesn't usually work nights or something like that. Next time I see her, the store's just closed and she's walking along with some other employee. She asks if she can help me (the passive-aggressive way we've been trained to deal with someone who is inconvenient) and I hold up my box-cutter and say "Nope. Work here." Well recent events have been good enough that the (relatively) new store manager sprung for a steak BBQ today. I wasn't scheduled for today, but I'll be damned if I pass up a free steak, so I came in. Headed for the break room in the back and she goes "Hi, can I help you?" At this point my patience is about gone so I just say "I'm just here for the steak." This still probably should've tipped her off, because who but an employee who gets company e-mails is going to know that there are steaks in the break room on this particular day. But she didn't put 2 & 2 together and went and got the assistant manager who's like "Oh, Fox. Hi, the steaks for the night stockers aren't ready yet."

Now I mostly like this guy, but as I was filling my plate I picked a steak out of the tray with my fingers and he got butthurt about me spreading germs. Steaks are fairly substantial things. It is totally possible to pick the top one off a tray without touching any of the others. Plastic utensils, not so much. I briefly considered pointing out that everyone who took a fork and a knife probably touched at least one other fork and knife in the bins they were in, so his worries about germs were pointless. (I learned this pretty quickly when I was making wine. In winemaking, you want to keep everything very clean so only the yeasts that you introduce ferment the wine, but the equipment used to ferment wine is almost impossible to keep sterile, so you just have to let God have some effect on how the wine ferments.) But I just didn't feel like going down that road. So done with that job.

I only got around to reading the Unabomber within the past few years. At the time I thought he was a crazy crackpot. Now I realize he was just ahead of everyone else: Colleges indoctrinating people to socialism, the subversion of American culture... The thing I didn't get was how he jumped from that to "we should all live in preindustrial cabins in the woods"...until I realized that wasn't the desired end state--it was just what one had to prepare for. When the Justice Department becomes weaponized and modern appliances and autos are increasingly outlawed, eventually things will fall apart and if you don't know how to make lye soap and tallow candles and grow your own food, you're going to have a very rough time of things. "Who is John Galt?"

That's a bit melodramatic. But not much. :bergman:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Procrastinating. Because work is work. "If it wasn't work, they wouldn't call it work. They'd call it super, wonderful, crazy fun time. Or skippity-doo." -Red Forman, "That 70's Show."

After spending the better part of a year getting a house ready to rent out, now that someone's living in it, I'm done--whether there's still stuff I'd like to do or not (there is). And my hours got cut back at my paycheck job once HR actually started scheduling me instead of me just coming in whenever my manager wanted me. So I'm kind of taking a little like a vacation. I had a list of things I wanted to get done on Monday and the only thing left is taking out trash.

I used the garage at the rental house as a staging area for trash, tools, and stuff I wanted to bring back to my house--stuff like a camera tripod, a VCR/DVD player combo, and a woodburning stove. Once I listed the place, I just needed to get the garage cleaned out so I threw stuff in the van and brought it home. If it was brush it went on the brush pile. If it was yardwork tools they went in the shed, if it was stuff I wanted to keep it went in the basement, and if it was junk it also got piled in the shed. So now I get to resume the joyfully tedious task of burning brush when weather permits, loading trash into my trash cans for pickup as space permits, and organizing the piles of crap in the basement.

When I start getting rent checks from the new property (there's a lag because they go through the property management company), hopefully I'll be able to quit my part time job and be almost completely retired. Then I can write and volunteer and work on projects at my house.

This time last year I was in a trial retirement period of around 6 months and I'd started on a secret door from my bedroom to the long narrow closet that runs all the way to the back of the house. That section of the house was added on and isn't on a basement like the front 70% or so. I'd like to start digging it out where I have concrete walls (mostly for my own amusement). I also need to organize and declutter the basement because I want to turn a good chunk of it into a museum/replica of a late 20th century video rental store. But I guess none of that will happen with me sitting on my ass typing about it. Oh, and when the money is there, doing a proper job on the A-Team van. My DiY job is good enough, but I'd love for everything to work right and reliably, drop in a V8, and fix up the paint and body work, among other things.