"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Apparently, these days, March is not only the start of Spring, but it is where my life shits its pants. March 2020 brought COVID. My Dog died March 2021. I got a "bye" year in 2022 so this year made up for it by spending 5 days without power from a storm, having a tree hit the corner of my roof and rip down the dead power line in said storm, getting in a car accident that seemed minor but turns out to have caused enough damage that there's a danger of the insurance company totaling my car (although there's nothing wrong with it mechanically and it is still driveable). Meanwhile I found out I have a chronic health problem that needs a prescription and further medical follow-up. I must be stupid to be buying a house right now--at least if I'm superstitious.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
Groundhog meat tends to be stringy and greasy. I suppose how it's prepared could mitigate that, but . . . eh.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Apparently, these days, March is not only the start of Spring, but it is where my life shits its pants. March 2020 brought COVID. My Dog died March 2021. I got a "bye" year in 2022 so this year made up for it by spending 5 days without power from a storm, having a tree hit the corner of my roof and rip down the dead power line in said storm, getting in a car accident that seemed minor but turns out to have caused enough damage that there's a danger of the insurance company totaling my car (although there's nothing wrong with it mechanically and it is still driveable). Meanwhile I found out I have a chronic health problem that needs a prescription and further medical follow-up. I must be stupid to be buying a house right now--at least if I'm superstitious.
But on the plus side, I got a letter from the bank that the line of credit I'll be using for this house I'm committed to buying just went up. Again.

Fuck. I get up in the morning. I look at how to make the shit sandwich of the day as palatable as possible and come up with a positive, productive plan based on reality and by lunch I'm ready to just go back to bed and hope tomorrow is better.

Oh, and the hood for my car that was originally supposed to be delivered on the 27th or 28th got changed to not shipping until the 29th. Now it has changed to "SHIPPING SOON!" I'd call to find out WTF is going on, except maybe I don't even have a car to put it on.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
USAA has no fucking clue what they're doing. No one does, but I'll get to that later. No updates on the home claim. When I called because the adjuster assigned didn't match the adjuster who showed up I was told the adjuster who showed up had initially been assigned but had been ill so the one in the communication had been assigned but then the other adjuster had gotten better and was able to do the claim and that everything was proceeding normally. It has now been 10 business days since the adjuster came out to look at the damage so I go to see if there are any updates. There's a message that the adjuster assigned in the communication is actually the internal adjuster and the one who came out to inspect the damage is the field adjuster. Then there's a message from the "internal adjuster" that he's sorry for the delay but that he's found out the field adjuster is sick so he is reaching out to the field adjuster to find out the status. I've already talked to the field adjuster directly and he says everything has been submitted--which is also what I was told when I called Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the car just sits in limbo and the hood I ordered on the 17th (it's an aftermarket hood) that was supposed to be delivered by the 28th got changed to shipping on the 29th. After the 29th came and went it got changed to "shipping soon." I'd call on that but right now I don't even know if USAA is going to let the body shop keep working on the car or not.

So. Go out and try to get things moving or just sit here with my thumb up my butt and wait? The inclination is to try to get things moving but a strong case can be made that this will just make things worse.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Sounds as bad as when I had a car accident 2 years ago. Liberty Mutual couldn't be bothered to get my car towed to one of their body shops for like 2 weeks. Then it took the body shop two weeks to fix the car, $1,000 deductible and they didn't even fix the leaky gasket/flat tire. I had to get that fixed on New Years Day by Firestone. Fucking Paintworks.....more like Paintjerks.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Well, thanks for putting things in perspective. It hasn't been that bad. Still frustrating.

Coming back to the title of the thread I'm increasingly of the opinion that every day is the worst day of my life.

I mean, technology has never been more advanced. Manufacturing, communications...I'd say science, but that seems to be going backwards. Yet every day things get shittier. Broke my umbrella today. It's impossible to get a basic black ordinary umbrella. Staples, of all places is the only place that seems to have them. Now Staples umbrellas are flimsy and shitty, but they're the only option. So when the one I bought last year breaks, I go buy another one. Walking The Dog in the rain. It's groundhog season so we're along the sidehill of the steep, muddy, rain-slicked grass banks of the nearby creek. I know the umbrella is fragile but I also don't want to fall down and get mud and grass stains all over the jeans that I just fucking put on. I mean, I'm going to have to change them anyway when I get home because I forgot to tuck them into my rubber boots so the bottom 7" of the legs are soaked, but I don't want to fall. So I'm using the umbrella like a cane--just lightly and for stability. I fall anyway. And the way the umbrella reacts, I know what I'm going to find. Sure enough, the end 4" above the fabric has snapped clean off. Out of frustration, I smash it over my knee, breaking the handle off, and throw it in the grass.
More on that.

Other day I was walking The Dog and as we're going across the bridge over the creek I watch a slacker druggie on his kids BMX bike rummage through his bag in a leisurely manner to find things he doesn't want and throw them over the railing. Pissed me off. And I almost always wind up picking up some amount of litter when I'm walking. But I give up. They win. Fuck it. The umbrella can be with everyone else's trash. It has a better reason to be there than anything else. Of course not long after that it started raining like a bastard again, so when The Dog backtracked to follow a scent I picked it up and walked along like a bum with my ratty field jacket, tattered had, and broken umbrella.

We get to a point where I have to cut the walk short because further down the hobos have set up a camp. Fucking hobos get somewhere and within a day it looks like someone emptied a dumpster there. I really don't know how they even manage it.

But getting back to technology. Back in 1999 Hotmail was awesome. On par with MS Outlook. Then MS bought it and wrecked it. Because that's easier than actually making Outlook better. Google was awesome. Fast, freakishly accurate. Today it is slow and bloated and buggy. I know the "Every day is the worst day of my life" quote from "Office Space," but I wanted to confirm the wording. It was impossible to find the quote I was looking for. The quote later on when the shrink asks for clarification is there, but the initial "tell me about yourself, Peter," conversation is NO WHERE. I even checked YouTube. Things just *disappear* from the Web these days. Not that it matters because there's nowhere to post a quote anyway because Facebook has so much useless stupid garbage to stuff into your computer that it freezes up the browser.

I try to get myself psyched up for the day: Sure, you're going to fail at 90% of the things you attempt today. Sure, it would be less work to just do nothing. But then you'd fail at 100%. Except that when I try I wind up just making things worse 60% of the time. So on the net balance, right now I'd be so much more productive if I just stayed in bed.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Did I turn today around and make it productive? Or just do the "'The prince is not to leave the room until I come and get him" bit from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"? Stopped by the bank and confirmed my stock sale money is in my account to use for the house. Then I stopped by the body shop to get everyone on the same page so we can actually get my car fixed. Hit Staples to pick up an umbrella to replace the one that broke this morning--and some printer ink. Then the hardware store for a window blind for my bedroom. The curtains in my bedroom were always a little thin but the neighbor just had her back porch lights repaired and one points right at my bedroom window. Hasn't been interfering with my sleep (luckily the head of the bed isn't inline with the window) but it does make the opposite wall noticeably brighter at night. Then I got home, called the insurance company to get them on the same page with getting my car fixed, gave my home claim adjuster a heads up that the insurance company was throwing him under the bus with me, and called the car parts place to find out what was up with my hood. They have a different view of order tracking than I do that actually gives them *less* information than I have--it's a product being freight shipped direct from the manufacturer. They said they would track status from their end.

Cobbled together a surprisingly robust spaghetti because I managed to not have a dinner dish for the evening, had a few cocktails while watching television, playing the ukulele, and petting The Cat (not all at the same time). Then in a fit of mania I tucked the power strip and computer power cord up behind the desk so the lights on the switches weren't shining in the room and decided what the heck, I'll trim the blind to size and mount it. Amazingly, I succeeded (mostly).

So now we'll see if next week my house and car get fixed. And I should find out from the attorneys how the title analysis is going and if we can close on schedule. Or at all. I'd love to have sold off a bunch of stock in a down market only to find I have nothing to buy with it--in spite of having an accepted offer. :/

Oerdin

So today I got the last payment of $55,000 from my dad's estate. My sister was a complete thief, she made my houses out to be between $50,000 to $100,000 more then their fair market value while her's where $50k to $100k to low. We went back a forth with lawyers, she got exposed for the lying cheating whore she was, yet I still got about $150,000 less then I deserved when all was said and done.

I had to make decisions about future property evaluation changes, vs litigation costs, vs legal costs, vs just existing... So I let the $150,000 go. I didn't like it but it made the most sense. Nowt sister tell me she will never talk to me again because I won a legal case against her. My gives a fuck running short. You tried to dick me, I fought back, yet I am the bad guy? I didn't even get the full amount you stole from me.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I think I mentioned it here before, but when my Mom died I was living in Oregon. I'd already used up pretty much all family leave when she was sick because when I came home, took her out of the crappy nursing home my brother had got her into and put her into hospice, she actually got better and went from "she could die any minute" to living another 6 months. Of course you only get 3 months family leave so I had to decide if I was going to quit my job to stay and take care of her. She didn't believe animals belong indoors and I'd just adopted a dog before she got sick. Some amazing friends who thought they'd be watching her for 2 weeks at the longest wound up with her for 3 months so I broached the idea of bringing her to Wisconsin. Instead of agreeing to this she replied "and you're going to have to sell your house." Really? I'm just going to completely end my current life so I can take care of you?

After all the money she gave my brother over the years to keep his bar afloat, she wouldn't loan me anything to buy my house--even though she'd had a very successful loan to me to buy some land several years earlier. Had to cash out my IRA and take a big penalty.

Anyway, I'm frantically trying to figure out how to get her cared for after I leave--while stuck 99% of the time in a farmhouse 10 miles from a town of 2,000 people with spotty cell phone and no Internet. Amazingly the Meals on Wheels guy knew about a very affordable private assisted living place that had a spot and would take her. But I just about had to kick my brother's ass to get him to go check it out and get on board with the idea. Oh and at one point, when I had to fly back to Oregon for something I almost missed my flight because instead of taking my Mom's Saturn, we took his car that he keeps a mallet in the back seat so when the fuel pump stops and the car dies he can get under the car and bang on it.

So I'm trying to wrap up the probate from the other side of the country and eventually the auctioneer calls me up because my brother won't arrange a meeting. This means I have to find a dog sitter and fly back over Thanksgiving weekend because I've burned up all my vacation. Went out to the farm and every time the auctioneer would say "this looks like a nice piece," my brother would go "I'm keeping that." So she didn't have anything worth auctioning which meant we couldn't sell the property. Oh, and by now the probate court person is rightfully nagging me because I'm behind on closing up the estate. At that point I either had to quit my job and move to Wisconsin or just write off the farm and figure out a way to give it to my brother. If I'd have moved back to Wisconsin, then I would've figured out exactly how much my brother owed my Mom and added that into the estate. But that would've meant that I'd have owned a bar with no kitchen in a town of 2,000 people that has, like, 8+ other bars. And been a landlord to my brother because I'd own his house. Since nothing about that sounded pleasant, I just walked away from my half of the property value. I remain polite to my brother, but he will never get a dime from me. He isn't in my will either.

On the plus side, at least Mom appeared to loan him money out of funds she'd set aside in his name. Because I got a bunch of funds, CDs, etc that he didn't get. And my cousin that I got power of attorney for while Mom was sick made sure to give me a decent sum of money to live on while I was taking care of her.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I was wondering. Tempted to drag out the "drinking again, I see" trope from The Other Place.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This was almost a Facebook post but Facebook is such bloated buggy garbage these days that I gave up on trying to get it to open. It's probably going to ramble a bit anyway.

Sunday night. All the "must do" chores are done. I've also...yeah, this IS going to ramble. I've also got the interior of the house to better than it was before the storm. Got the power strip tucked up behind the desk so the whole floor of the bedroom isn't lit up all night. Put up a shade to combat the neighbor's new back porch light. Reprogrammed all the preset stations on the stereo. Even took time to set the clock on the VCR (yes, VCR). It is a moot point because it can't receive the digital stations the way it is set up right now, but it appeals to the OCD in me. Dug up ANOTHER ivy from the yard to replace the one I'd had for a decade before the New Cat murdered it. Turned out my replants had been dying from TOO MUCH water (at least that's the theory based on research).

Next up is decluttering. When I made the plan to rent out shed storage, I filled the garage up with junk from the sheds--junk from houses I'd renovated, junk tenants left behind, junk I'd accumulated over the years. This was just until I had trash can space to throw it out. ...and I'm gonna have to come back to this because the most needy, clingy, exhausting dog in the universe needs to be petted for another 10 minutes.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. So. Decluttering. Once I got rid of all the obvious and easy junk it started getting harder. There's a fiberglass(?) fake fireplace in the basement that I should throw out, but it's kind of cool. and anyway I'll need to bust it up so it'll fit in the trash. There's still a few easy and obvious things, but it is getting down to where I need to look at if I should keep things or not. Which creates an entirely new conundrum: Some of the things I dragged in from the garage are almost certainly more valuable than some of the things that were already in the house. So I need to go through everything in the basement. But before I do that, I should probably go through drawers and closets upstairs. And before you know it, it gets to be an insane, insurmountable task.

There were probably other things I was going to say, but we'll leave it at that.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
Busting up your fake fireplace reminds me that when we renovated our house I had to break up a cast iron bathtub to get it out. Egads. I also need to declutter in a big way . . . I've two storage sheds and a spare room crammed full of stuff I never look at and will probably never need again. A whole bunch of books I should donate to the Fairfax County library system. Ugh.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Jesus. You know all the Titanic stories about "if someone hadn't forgotten the binoculars in the cabin and if the 2nd lookout hadn't been sick and if...etc, etc, they'd have never hit the iceberg"? That's this nightmare with the car.

When they found the hidden damage, they updated the estimate. When they updated the estimate, USAA decided to total the car. Because it's already in the system, there is allegedly no way to roll back the process and all I can do is claim salvage rights--however long that process takes.

Oh, and they initially said they had no partner shops in the area with any availability so they cut me a check and said to take it to the shop of my choice. As it happened the shop I picked was one of their partner shops. If I hadn't taken it to a partner shop, they wouldn't have had the systems in place that are currently tying my hands on this whole thing.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
At this point I'm just sick to my stomach and don't want to do anything. Because this is so stupid. It would be different if the car was actually badly damaged and not driveable. But the frustration that there's nothing that can be done because this is the way things are done just... I don't know. I wonder if I can take the car back. Take it to a different shop.