There's a simple solution to the bipartisan system we currently have in place

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
In order to get rid of whether we'll be voting red or blue in the next election, encourage everyone you know to vote third party. If you don't like both major candidates, vote for the third party guy.

If at least 25% of americans actually voted third party, you'd see panic with the repubocrats. Panic.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
In order to get rid of whether we'll be voting red or blue in the next election, encourage everyone you know to vote third party. If you don't like both major candidates, vote for the third party guy.

If at least 25% of americans actually voted third party, you'd see panic with the repubocrats. Panic.

Via grinding teeth I must confess Khanchaga might be right:)

Demlibs & Repcons have condominium, or is it a binopoly?, over the U.$. political machine:frusty:

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
The problem is that everyone says, "well, if I vote third party, I'm throwing away my vote." That's the most common answer I get whenever I tell people to vote third party. Even more frightening is the fact that some people believe that third parties aren't official and voting for them is going against the system of election. Which is why if you tally all the votes that Nader and Barr recieved, combine them and compare to the 131+million voters who voted in '08 only .009% of those voters voted for them. I mean, only .014% of Americans who voted in the last election voted for something other than Democrat or Republican.

I've heard more and more people talking lately that they're seriously considering voting third party. I managed to persuade four of my friends to vote Libertarian in the last election. That's only because I spent just a few months talking to them. I'm guessing that if I can convince one person every three months over the next year, I'll get 16 people voting by the time the next election rolls around.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but Obama was right. It's time for a change in Washington. Let's do what we can to end this duopoly and kick these fatcat good'ol boys out on their asses.

I'm speaking mainly to the libertarians in the crowd. I know a few of you voted Libertarian in the last election, but what did your friends vote? Try to get them to vote Libertarian (or any other third party) in the next election. It's only three years away. That's plenty of time to get to work.

And if you really want to get involved: http://www.lp.org/volunteer

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
Find me a third party candidate worth voting for and I'll gladly vote for 'em (and IBT Ron Paulies: He's not going to be the one to do it, mostly because of age and the fact that his pseudo-terror-cult of followers acted like such a bunch of twats the last time around that they stained his image permanently, at least to me. My hope is that his own personal code of conduct inspires fledgling politicians to follow the same path, and we'd get some real contenders in another 8-12 years.) If you can get someone with Obama's presence and RP's principles, they'd be a welcome death-ray to the current system.

I was determined to vote for Ross Perot in '92, until he allowed himself to be trolled by Bush Sr. and blew a gasket. Couldn't reconcile someone that thin-skinned as Chief Executive after that, in spite of his virtues.

As for change, I think Conchaga and I are in the same groove in that change will only come when general American complacency gets kicked in the nuts, and by nuts I mean wallet, or pantry. Things will have to get pretty bad before actual change happens. Things don't always have to get worse before they get better, but I have the gut feeling that this will --and I fear that the change itself might turn out to be a further turn for the worse before the eventual upturn.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
If not an eventual crash. Your "turn for the worse" will be a plummet. As for your dislike of third party candidates, I don't care. Vote something other than Repub or Dem. Try voting on a valid third party. Even if they don't win, that's one more vote that they got. And that's one less vote that the duopoly received. It's a boycott.

I didn't like Barr because he was a turncoat, but I still voted for him.

If you haven't seen Mr. Smith Goes To Washington recently, I really do suggest it.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
If you can get someone with Obama's presence and RP's principles, they'd be a welcome death-ray to the current system.

RP did have Obama's presence. Problem was, he ran under the republican banner and they buried him for his views. If he'd have run as a Libertarian and convinced Nader to step out of the race, it would've been a totally different election.

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
RP did have Obama's presence. Problem was, he ran under the republican banner and they buried him for his views. If he'd have run as a Libertarian and convinced Nader to step out of the race, it would've been a totally different election.
No...What I mean by presence is the appearance of gravitas --stress on appearance. My conception of it is as a quality distinct from substance; a simple gift for acquiring and commanding people's attention, apart the validity of what they're actually saying. Whatever the actual weight of Obama's views/opinions/policies, He's definitely got it. I'm half-convinced it's this gift of his, easily his strongest suit, that's what makes many react to him as nothing more than a stuffed shirt --and perhaps he is (I'm still on the fence.)

Ron Paul's great on paper, and I've seen him talk rings around adversaries, but presence? As much as his followers have tried to convince me otherwise, the lasting impression he left after going for his fellow Republican candidates' jugulars at those debates was that of Don Knotts on speed. I like the guy, but it was painful watching Team Bushdive snicker and roll their eyes at him every time his voice pitched up to Barney Fife levels. I agree with you that he would've fared much better running as a third party candidate (hell, even I can recall John Anderson actually nabbing a percentage of the vote back in 1976, and NOBODY remembers that guy,) although I can't say if it would've given Obama any real challenge --the Black Messiah train had gotten up a pretty good head of steam by then. In any case, RP certainly should have been given (or should have taken --as it was largely his call) the opportunity to make a serious run.

As for Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: haven't seen it, although I'm a little leery of trusting ANY Hollywood renditions of How Things Should Be Done In Washington (I learned my lesson after recovering from seven seasons of The West Wing brainwashing.) And on general principle I could never vote for someone I loathed, no matter what theoretical scenario demonstrated how a "boycott" could end the two-party system. It's a shame to say that I'm nearly certain I'll never have the opportunity, in my lifetime, to vote for someone I can wholeheartedly believe in. But I will vote for the person I think can do the best job, out of four or five candidates --not two.

What I absolutely won't do is wait on the sidelines for some kind of Second Coming of a PotUS that won't in any way make me cringe. If one does come along, fine. If Ron Paul reminds you of Jimmy Stewart in the 1940's, and if that sort of thing warms your political cockles...hell, who am I to judge? Remember, you're talking to someone who secretly wants the next president to be something resembling Mickey Rourke in Masked and Anonymous*:

"At the moment, we are giving people a new identity and erasing collective memory. We are re-writing the history books. Nothing was more important to our [last] President than bringing peace to this war-torn country. A lasting peace can only be achieved through strength...There will be no more violence in the organized media. Real, actual violence will take the place of manufactured violence. We will empty the prisons and fill the football stadiums and the evil doers from the prisons will be trampled by wild elephants, mauled by un-caged bears and pecked to death by screaming eagles...There will be no more stupidity. No more mistakes. It's a new day. God help you all."

*not to be considered an endorsement for this flick --only the most hardcore Bob Dylan fans can sit through it.

Sarek

Vuhlkansu Wihs
Back when AIDS first made an appearance, there was a lot of talk about taking the gays and the AIDS infected and stranding them all on a deserted island. Let nature take it's course and kill them off.

The idea needs to be resurrected for politicians.

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer

I was actually at a site about a party called ATP, 'America's Third Party'. I spoke with their leader via chat, where I PWNed his fucking ass, to such an extent he banned me forever from ever taking part in the chats he has with Americans. I so angered him I had him cursing for the first time. I even managed to sway Americans to my side, especially after I told them all I was a Canadian fascist who was calling the leader's bullshit. I fucking OWNED his fucking ass. The man was such a hypocrite, and stupid to boot. He cannot tell the difference between fascist and communism.

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
The problem is that everyone says, "well, if I vote third party, I'm throwing away my vote." That's the most common answer I get whenever I tell people to vote third party. Even more frightening is the fact that some people believe that third parties aren't official and voting for them is going against the system of election. Which is why if you tally all the votes that Nader and Barr recieved, combine them and compare to the 131+million voters who voted in '08 only .009% of those voters voted for them. I mean, only .014% of Americans who voted in the last election voted for something other than Democrat or Republican.

I've heard more and more people talking lately that they're seriously considering voting third party. I managed to persuade four of my friends to vote Libertarian in the last election. That's only because I spent just a few months talking to them. I'm guessing that if I can convince one person every three months over the next year, I'll get 16 people voting by the time the next election rolls around.

Anyway, I hate to say it, but Obama was right. It's time for a change in Washington. Let's do what we can to end this duopoly and kick these fatcat good'ol boys out on their asses.

I'm speaking mainly to the libertarians in the crowd. I know a few of you voted Libertarian in the last election, but what did your friends vote? Try to get them to vote Libertarian (or any other third party) in the next election. It's only three years away. That's plenty of time to get to work.

And if you really want to get involved: http://www.lp.org/volunteer

LIBERTARIAN = ANARCHY. Shut the fuck up, moron. Libertarians would only make the rich FAR, FAR richer. Fuck, but you are stupid.