sampled tv shows

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Did some Star on Disney+ sampling...

Y The Last Man - I watched the first episode and found it pretty dull. I know the comic is well thought of, but I've never read it and this just felt like another post apocolyptic misery fest? The characters were all pretty unlikable (except the main guy I guess, he was just a bit dumb?) and I dind't find the situations they were setting up all that compelling. HOWEVER it's only one episode so if you want to watch it you might like it more than me if you watch more. I don't know if I'll watch more.

Only Murders In The Building - I liked this a lot more. Steve Martin and Martin Short are charming as old men trying to solve a crime and make a podcast about it. Selena Gomez's character is harder to get a handle on so far, but she's cute so that's nice. I will watch more of this, it seems good.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh yeah, I was planning to watch Y: The Last Man.

CaptainWacky

Watch all the things I RECOMMENDED first.

CaptainWacky

November will be THE MONTH OF HAILEE.

CaptainWacky

Y The Last Man - I watched the first episode and found it pretty dull. I know the comic is well thought of, but I've never read it and this just felt like another post apocolyptic misery fest? The characters were all pretty unlikable (except the main guy I guess, he was just a bit dumb?) and I dind't find the situations they were setting up all that compelling. HOWEVER it's only one episode so if you want to watch it you might like it more than me if you watch more. I don't know if I'll watch more.

lol:

CaptainWacky

Only Murders In The Building - I liked this a lot more. Steve Martin and Martin Short are charming as old men trying to solve a crime and make a podcast about it. Selena Gomez's character is harder to get a handle on so far, but she's cute so that's nice. I will watch more of this, it seems good.

This is a good show; I recommend it!

CaptainWacky

I should have been more aggressive and just started a new thread, like Menty would do.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Things were a lot easier when we had five channels.
And Fox was a UHF channel(WXXA-23) that showed the G1 Transformers cartoon that you had position and hold the rabbit ear antennae just right to get a clear picture.

CaptainWacky

TV shows I'm trying out, have watched more that one episode but not a whole season.

Ressurecting this unpopular thread, mostly Amazon.

Swarm - Very dark comedy co-created by Donald Glover, with a lot of famous guest stars. A young woman who is an obsessive fan of Lady Gaga/Beyonce-like singer goes on a murderous rampage after her sister ODs. More fun than it sounds! I've watched four episodes and the main actress is very compelling to watch. Paris Jackson was a suprisingly good guest star in the second episode and Billie Eilish really impressed me in the fourth (I didn't recognise her at first and thought "who is this actress, she's really good!") RECOMMENDED.

I'm a Virgo - Comedy/fantasy type thing about a 13 foot tall young black man. Even crazier than Swarm, maybe TOO CRAZY for some people. I haven't watched much but it's very interesting. Seems like a fascist superhero is going to be the main villain. A few too many close-ups of people eating in the first episode. I'll watch more.

Class of '07 - Australian comedy drama. A group of women meeting up for their ten year high school anniversary are stranded at their old school after an apocalyptic event. I watched because it has some Australian women I like in it, but it's a bit off-putting at first the main characters are all very unlikable. Shows hints of depth and seems to have good reviews so maybe worth sticking with, but hard to prioritise when there's better stuff out there.

Ted Lasso season 3 - Is it really "sampled" if I'm on the third season, I don't know. First season was really good. Second wasn't as good and got too cloying (that fucking Christmas episode) for my liking, but I still made it through. I'm struggling with 3. I don't think I'm even halfway through. I don't even hate it or anything, it's still funny sometimes and all the actors are strong, but the episodes are so long. It felt like a proper sitcom in season 1, now it feels like...something weird. All the characters feel dumbed down in that type sitcom way that happens over time. Feels like they're trying to set up a potential spin-off with Keeley but taking her away from all the other regular characters just makes me want her to be back with them. I'll probably finish it eventually but it's very low priority at this point.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I HAVE SAMPLED SOME SHOWS.

Stars on Mars - the Shat is barely in this, he just talks to them through a tv screen now and then. It's like Big Brother but on a fake Mars set. The stars have to solve problems to get more food (and badges?). Ariel Winter is in it. The stars are just as silly and petty as regular people! lol

Crime Scene Kitchen - Joel McHale is the host. The contestants have to figure out what was baked in the kitchen by looking at all the clues, the team that comes closest to getting it right goes to the next round, even if what they bake is terrible. It's a cute show.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I HAVE SAMPLED SOME SHOWS.

Stars on Mars - the Shat is barely in this, he just talks to them through a tv screen now and then. It's like Big Brother but on a fake Mars set. The stars have to solve problems to get more food (and badges?). Ariel Winter is in it. The stars are just as silly and petty as regular people! lol

You should sample Murderville on Netflix instead. Will Arnett plays a detective who ropes celebrities into helping him solve a crime. It's like murder mystery dinner theater but unscripted and funnier.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
TOO MANY MURDER SHOWS.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
This Fool with Chris Estrada is pretty funny. I think it's Netflix...

CaptainWacky

Murderville is straight-up comedy, it's fun. But you should be watching Pokerface too.

Crime Scene Kitchen - Joel McHale is the host. The contestants have to figure out what was baked in the kitchen by looking at all the clues, the team that comes closest to getting it right goes to the next round, even if what they bake is terrible. It's a cute show.

That sounds weird!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

It's very adorable, a lot more fun than normal cooking competition shows.

CaptainWacky

They should have Joe Buck on as a guest baker.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
MV5BZTZiODlmYmQtOGRhYS00ZmFlLTk5YzYtMDJmODU5NjUyMTk3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_.jpg
I watched the first episode because Idris is good in everything, and Apple TV seems to have had a decent track record of late.

It was OK.

As an avgeek, a bunch of things bothered me when it came to accuracy and how a hijacking (or even a potential one) would actually be handled on the ground and in the air.
Not fantastically realistic but they did try and explain away a really important part of the process with an excuse I didn't totally buy, but whatever. The attempted grittiness also seems a bit...clean?

It's a 7-episode mini-series, and the flight is meant to be 7 hours, so I thought maybe it would be some sort of 24-style clock, but there was none in this episode, and the first episode seemed to take longer than an hour in the timeframe of the show (although maybe not far off?) from what I could tell.

I didn't love it, but I am intrigued by how they're going to drag this out for the next 6 episodes (hours?). I'm not committing to all 6, but I'll watch the next one at least.