sampled tv shows

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The wrath of Dr Dave!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
View attachment 688
I watched the first episode because Idris is good in everything, and Apple TV seems to have had a decent track record of late.

It was OK.

As an avgeek, a bunch of things bothered me when it came to accuracy and how a hijacking (or even a potential one) would actually be handled on the ground and in the air.
Not fantastically realistic but they did try and explain away a really important part of the process with an excuse I didn't totally buy, but whatever. The attempted grittiness also seems a bit...clean?

It's a 7-episode mini-series, and the flight is meant to be 7 hours, so I thought maybe it would be some sort of 24-style clock, but there was none in this episode, and the first episode seemed to take longer than an hour in the timeframe of the show (although maybe not far off?) from what I could tell.

I didn't love it, but I am intrigued by how they're going to drag this out for the next 6 episodes (hours?). I'm not committing to all 6, but I'll watch the next one at least.

Sounds like it would be a movie with Gerard Butler in it.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 688
I watched the first episode because Idris is good in everything, and Apple TV seems to have had a decent track record of late.

It was OK.

As an avgeek, a bunch of things bothered me when it came to accuracy and how a hijacking (or even a potential one) would actually be handled on the ground and in the air.
Not fantastically realistic but they did try and explain away a really important part of the process with an excuse I didn't totally buy, but whatever. The attempted grittiness also seems a bit...clean?

It's a 7-episode mini-series, and the flight is meant to be 7 hours, so I thought maybe it would be some sort of 24-style clock, but there was none in this episode, and the first episode seemed to take longer than an hour in the timeframe of the show (although maybe not far off?) from what I could tell.

I didn't love it, but I am intrigued by how they're going to drag this out for the next 6 episodes (hours?). I'm not committing to all 6, but I'll watch the next one at least.
I watched the third episode, and this show is fucking stupid. After the first episode (that was meh), I was really trying to figure out how they were going to drag this out for 7 episodes.

Well, they fucking can't. It's utterly ridiculous. The concept as a direct-to-DVD afterthought is already pushing it, and you could just watch Air Force One with Harrison Ford (which is actually a bad movie but better than this) and you're having a better time.

Idris best acting is the glassiness behind the eyes that you pick up on when you see him only doing this for a paycheck.

drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member

I accidentally sampled That's My Jam last night and it happened to be a rerun from April. ANYWAY, it was good and funny.

CaptainWacky

Does he put jam on the muffin?

CaptainWacky

Still haven't finished the shows I resurrected this thread for (FUCKING TED LASSO), but forgot to mention The Bear and OMG season 2 episode 6 is fucking great and insane.

CaptainWacky

The Curse - Dark comedy/drama (dardramedy?) starring Emma Stone, Nathan Fielder and Bernie Sadfie (and written by the latter too.) It's got amazingly great reviews from critics and low audience scores, so certainly a thing a lot of people would hate. I can understand why as it's definitely not a laugh out loud comedy (though it is funny) and has lots of long, tense and vague scenes (almost Lynchian at times.) The humour is of the excruciating embarrassment variety. I like it though as I have a very high I.Q. Stone is a fucking fantastic actress and so compelling to watch doing anything. All three main characters are horrible people in different ways but it's fascinating watching the dynamic and the horriblenss ranking change as it goes on. Recommended unless it sounds like something you wouldn't like.

CaptainWacky

Mr. And Mrs. Smith - I have never seen, have little knowledge of and no interesting in discussing the movie, so I don't care that this is completely different. It's pretty good 3 episodes in, but the first episode is very slow. Two secret agents (Donald Glover and Maya Erskine) who have never met before have to pretend to be married as their cover. They start falling for each other. I like the slowburn relationship developing (though again, maybe too slow in the first episode) and there seem to be big name guest stars in every episode and pretty good humour. Not a huge amount of action but I think it will get crazier as it goes. I will watch it all and probably not stretched out over months like some things.

Slow Horses - Another spy thing, but this one British and starring Gary Oldman. And, really, it's almost all about the Oldman and his great performance as the main farting character. I do like the general vibes of it too though! Another thing I will watch in full and there's only 18 episodes across the 3 seasons so it's not a huge commitment at this point.

CaptainWacky

^They're both good shows. Mr. And Mrs. Smith gets very good in its second half (the Ron Perlman episode was a lot of fun) and very crazy in the finale. I think Glover and Erskine had good chemistry and that's vital since the show is about the relationship and not the crazy spy stuff (though, again, you do get some of that especially later in the season.) It ends in a way that could either works as a series finale or set up a new season, but I saw a lot of people complaining about it for stupid reasons online so maybe it won't get a second reason (they're not MEANT to be elite great spies, pay fucking attention.)

Haven't finished Slow Horses but I'm enjoying it. Gary Oldman is great and very funny. Kristin Scott Thomas is very good as his rival too and the side characters are all at least decent! I have seen people say it's more "REALISTIC" than Mr and Mr.s Smith and maybe that's true, but it's not going for super realism either. It's also very obvious it's based on a book series and you can see that with the plotting in the second season (which gets a bit confusing but would have been easier to follow in book form.)

StarMan™

Avatar The Last Airbender. Given the mixed reactions to the Netflix adaption and my own experience with beloved classics from my childhood / teen years getting trampled on to feed the content machine, I thought it about time I finally check it out (my partner has been on my case to watch it for years). I ended up sampling both the original and the Netflix version.

Initial impressions --

Avatar The Last Airbender (original): Started with the intent of watching several minutes - just to get a feel for the vibe. Ended up watching 3 episodes. Loved the ambience. Charm, humor and heart. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I'm intrigued and looking forward to more.

Avatar The Last Airbender (Netflix): I lasted 15 minutes into the first episode before switching it off. Ambience was far removed from the original. Charm, humor and heart were not to be seen. What was on display was shabby writing, pretty subpar acting and subtle as sledgehammer exposition.

The Airbender Redditors have implored me to steer clear of the Netflix adaption until I finish the original, which is clearly held in high regard. One person practically begged me not to ruin the experience of the original with the Netflix version. So, I will do as I'm told. I'll finish the first Netflix episode then put it on the backburner.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Cowboy Bebop adaptation BOMBED.

One Piece adaptation was okayish.

Netflix: Read the room...

CaptainWacky

That reminds me, six months later I'm nearly finished One Piece. It's pretty decent (I'm not familiar with the source material) but clearly not something I felt compelled to binge.

CaptainWacky

That's a lot of episodes.

CaptainWacky

Extraordinary - I'd never heard for this show at all despite season one coming out a year ago. I guess it's about to have season 2 so it's being promoted a bit, and I hard very good things about season 1. It's very good! It's about a girl without a superpower in a world where everyone has a superpower. Don't let that put you off if you're sick of super hero shit: it's really just a filthy but often heartfelt British comedy. But if you do care about super hero shot, that stuff is done well too (in a funny way!) with some inventive powers. Never heard of any of the cast before (other than ArdaI O'Hanlon and he's just a voiceover) but they're all great in this. I really like what I've watched so far, a few episodes into season 1, and I'm happy I'll have season 2 to watch soon!

CaptainWacky

^Still watching; still good.

Ted - Yeah, it's the tv spin-off of the Seth MacFarlane movie. I was hesitant to watch it because I fell off Family Guy HARD like 15 years ago and only lasted like 2 episodes of his Star Trek thing. I watched the first movie years ago and thought it was okay, can't remember if I watched the second (obviously made no impression if I did!) This is surprisingly pretty good, taking all that into account. Like yeah sometimes it does slip into feeling like it's just Seth talking again and you might as well be listening to Peter Griffin, but it's somehow a bit funnier when that stuff's coming from a CIG teddy bear? And it doesn't seem to have the nastiness I remember from Family Gun (again, without having watch it in 15 years or whatever, maybe it's not nasty now) as the family do all care for each other and have moments of growth and stuff. It doesn't revolutionise the comedy world or anything but there's only 7 episodes and it made me laugh and like I said it's pretty good!