Our Flag Means Death

whisky

Boobie inspector
The new show from the makers of what we do in the shadows finally made it over to the UK.

It starts quite slow introducing us to the characters, our main lead is a rich closeted gentleman who leaves a family to have a life as a pirate, and it's a few episodes in before he runs into Blackbeard who is tired of being a pirate and would like to learn the ways of being a gentleman.

There are some good cameos from comedy actors from the UK, USA and Australia, and the whole thing looks very expensive.

Is it as funny as what we do? No, but it's funny enough, and there is more of an ongoing story.

Give it a go if you haven't watched.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
The advert didn't look all that great (hahaha, he's a pirate...BUT A COWARD!!!) but every comment I've seen on it says it gets better as it goes on, so I'll watch a few episodes before judging.

CaptainWacky

I've watched it all now and it definitely does get better as it goes on. It's not hilariously funny or anything, and the first episode is the weakest, but it gets funnier as you get to know the characters. What it does best is character development for both the main character and Blackbeard (but everyone else gets nice stuff too.) It was good to see Taika Waititi actually acting and not just doing his usual stuff (which makes me ALL THE MADDER at Love And Thunder since this proves he can do a lot better) and Rhys Darby brings depth to Stede too once they get over the "hahaha, he's rubbish at being a pirate!" stuff.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I only just saw the end too, I watched the rest of it a while back but I delayed the end as I didn't want it to finish. Glad it's got a second season.

CaptainWacky

Also I didn't even realise it was Will Arnett as Jack until I saw his name in the credits at the end.

CaptainWacky

Season two starts tomorrow.

CaptainWacky

First episode was good. Just found out it got cancelled so hopefully the season has a proper ending...

CaptainWacky

Season 3 could have just been Stede and Ed living in a house with a ghost or something.

CaptainWacky

Probably expensive compared to a show set in a house.
Have you watched season 2? It was good, if you liked season 1 there's no chance you wouldn't like it. Still not exactly laugh out loud funny but it's likable and the romance stuff is sweet. Maybe too many characters though as I noticed some didn't get much to do at all even by the end (at least they killed off one...and turned another into a seagull.) The finale worked perfectly as a proper ending so that's good.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm watching it slowly, knowing it's cancelled has made me want to make the experience last.