1d8f70c029ef4892.jpg

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
eFvRKcP.gif

Nice selfie, Cracky Smacky Blackfoot.

Quit spamming QSF, idiot.

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer
My reply wasn't meant to turn you away. I was genuinely puzzled as to why you felt it was so urgent to close this place, rather than have it open for the people who do stay, or come back once in a while.

TK had an actual mission and a set of principles when it was an EZBoard in 2001. Once it landed its own domain and forum software, it became what it was rebelling against. It joined the neighborhood that it was running around egging and TPing at night. It set itself up for an identity crisis by retaining the name "Troll Kingdom" in 2002. Because trolling stopped becoming its primary purpose at that point. It started hanging a "freedom of expression" shingle which never really fit or could be sold to the public.

People have come and gone to still use TK for trolling, and some people still try to defend the "freedom" thing. But in the end, TK is a social gathering place just like all the others. The "trolling" that goes on now is mostly just old warriors nursing old, scabby grudges.

This is why I don't see the point in closing it. It served its original purpose in its first 2 years of existence -- since then it's a social hangout that different people have tried to pin different labels on.
Another thing to point out is that what you're describing was also the result in a change of leadership. The early ezboard was really being run by Red Whacker, RobL, Che, Me, and some other people I can't remember. We were all young early 20-somethings rebelling against TrekBBS's rules. There wasn't a big plan, except to rebel and push the limits. By the time we started the .com, Sardy and MissManners were in charge. Red Whacker was really just a team mascot by that point. MissManners only really cared about the socializing aspect and Sardy is the one who pushed the "freedom of speech" aspect. Oddly it was Sardy who proclaimed that freedom of speech failed, deleted my account, and then left TK never to return.

Ancalagon

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Another thing to point out is that what you're describing was also the result in a change of leadership. The early ezboard was really being run by Red Whacker, RobL, Che, Me, and some other people I can't remember. We were all young early 20-somethings rebelling against TrekBBS's rules. There wasn't a big plan, except to rebel and push the limits. By the time we started the .com, Sardy and MissManners were in charge. Red Whacker was really just a team mascot by that point. MissManners only really cared about the socializing aspect and Sardy is the one who pushed the "freedom of speech" aspect. Oddly it was Sardy who proclaimed that freedom of speech failed, deleted my account, and then left TK never to return.

What’s the backstory of the E-Zine?

Also WF is still around and kicking. I think Terran, EFCL and Lonaf are dead. TK and WF are the last of the spin-offs.

Which considering it has been two decades does say a bit about at least the… stubbornness of the communities.

Drop into WF sometime. Still some familiar faces around and definitely more traffic than here.

The Question

Eternal
^^Just make sure to sign the commie/ "trans" homo oath of fealty when you do, or they'll fuck with you until they have an excuse to ban you.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor

Also WF is still around and kicking. I think Terran, EFCL and Lonaf are dead. TK and WF are the last of the spin-offs.

Which considering it has been two decades does say a bit about at least the… stubbornness of the communities.

Drop into WF sometime. Still some familiar faces around and definitely more traffic than here.
Ummm, yeah. No.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor

Ya know what? I was thinking about this a bit more. I realize you're probably not a complete imbecile, maybe. Traffic, so to speak is not the issue. The issue is your board is populated by fucking morons. I'll take this, over here, any fucking day over seeing idiots like Tuckerfan posting endless tweets or Dickynoo doing whatever performance art he's attempting and sucking at on any given day.

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer

I've posted on WF a few times in the last year or two. I was sorry to hear about Tamar.

As far as the E-Zine? I barely remember it. I don't think I contributed to it. I do remember that front pages had just become a thing, where you could create like a news section as the front home page instead of just the forums page. If I remember right, TerranBBS did it first, and I did contribute to that one. I did the TV section where I basically poached articles from Ain't It Cool News and rewrote them. But the TK E-Zine and the Terran news page were all just an effort to bring in new posters. All the sites were struggling to bring in new people.

And to add to what I said above - it may have actually been me who set us on the "freedom of speech" path, not Sardy. I was looking over Grandtheftcow's ezboard archive and I had totally forgot that I wrote TK's original "mission statement." I basically stole the Electronic Frontiers Foundation's mission statement and rewrote it for TK. It's still up on the original angelfire server...

Man, I plagiarized a lot of shit.

Anyway, Red Whacker originally set TK up the same as Trekbbs. We had mods for every forum. I was the TK mod for the Buffy/Angel forum. We soon started arguing for rule changes over at TrekBBS and decided we were going to take the "freedom of speech" high road over TrekBBS. I wrote the mission statement and I guess Sardy took it all to heart and started rebuilding TK around that ideal.

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer
And to add to what I said above - it may have actually been me who set us on the "freedom of speech" path, not Sardy. I was looking over Grandtheftcow's ezboard archive and I had totally forgot that I wrote TK's original "mission statement." I basically stole the Electronic Frontiers Foundation's mission statement and rewrote it for TK. It's still up on the original angelfire server...

TrollKingdom Mission Statement
WRONG! DUMBASS!

I just looked at the web archive for the ezboard. I was wrong. I wrote (cough: plagiarized) the mission statement in March of 2002. About a month after Red made Sardy an admin.

StarMan™

Ah yes. Reminiscing. Those were the days, apparently.

I don't remember much about Whacker. Red Quacker though - he was the OG. Now that dude knew how to press buttons.

Parallaxis

beer, I want beer
Ah yes. Reminiscing. Those were the days, apparently.

I don't remember much about Whacker. Red Quacker though - he was the OG. Now that dude knew how to press buttons.
Red Whacker would just occasionally swing through to talk about his computer problems or making out with his cousin.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Yes his tales of inserting his floppy into her hard drive were prolific.