CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
IT HAS AN EXISTING THREAD.

CaptainWacky

I MUST HAVE ORDER.

(I can't handle the real world.)

SAUSAGEMAN

I went to see Across the Spider-Verse on Sunday, and then, I went to see it again on Tuesday. This is the most visually imaginative movie I've ever seen. They could have just done what they did in the first one again and been amazing, but they went above and beyond and I'm in awe of what they've done.

CaptainWacky

I forgot to bump the thread for that so I can't complain about nobody using it :(

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Top Gun: Maverick (2022) - I enjoyed it. Very old fashioned in how it looked and the soundtrack (DANGER ZONE) and the topless beach homoeroticism and that's what the public want! The plane stuff all looked really great as of course you know Tom Cruise demanded to nearly fly a plane into a mountain himself with no safety net the crazy fucker. The Val Kilmer scene was handled well. It doesn't really do anything clever or subversive but if you just want fun eighties' style action it will satisfy you. It was funny how they purposely didn't name whatever country the enemy were, or even show their faces in the dogfight at the end. I guess so they could release it anywhere in the world and say "no, it wasn't about Russia, honest!"
I saw it a while back and enjoyed it.

They never say who the bad guys were either in the first movie.

Did they say whatever happened to Maverick's love interest from the original film?

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

I really enjoyed the movie. As a d&d player it was fun to see the various spells and what not that I've seen or heard of in the various campaigns I've been apart of.

I hope they do a sequel.

CaptainWacky

I saw it a while back and enjoyed it.

They never say who the bad guys were either in the first movie.

Did they say whatever happened to Maverick's love interest from the original film?

She fell out a plane!

(I don't know.)

Dr Dave

pillzlol
GIF by Adult Swim

Mirah

I love you
I watched City of Joy staring Patrick Swayze the other night. Wow, intense movie. Probably the reason for my strange dream.

Tonight I watched Happiness for Beginners. It was about a group of people that go hiking together. I actually kind of liked it Especially since that cute guy from Yellowstone was in it.

CaptainWacky

Venom: Let There Be Carnage (2021) - I was going to watch Ghostbusters: Afterlife but when I played it on Netflix the picture was weird and distorted. I don't think it's supposed to look like that as I gave up and watched this. Possibly a lateral move. The thing people liked about the first movie was Eddie and Venom's comical relationship, with Tom Hardy doing a very funny Venom Voice (there was also this thing where people really stretched it and tried to act like it was all a GAY LOVE STORY which I didn't buy at all, which this movie tries to say was an actual thing but only in one uncommital scene which is forgotten after it happens, ANYWAY.) They certainly double down on that here and Hardy can still do a funny Venom Voice and is quite good at physical comedy. But there's not really much else here, like a story or anything. It's basically 85 minutes long if you cut the credits and I'm not saying a Venom movie needs to be 2 hours+ but this is so weirdly paced and edited seems to leave key information out. Like the initial relationship between Eddie and Kletus (Woody Harrleson, somewhat underwhelming) takes up about three minutes and I guess that's the whole first act of the movie. Eddie and Venom break up - in an admittedly funny scene - for reasons I can't really understand. Then it's just a few more moving around of characters until we're in the final act and the big fight. There's a bit where Cletus suddenly says "you didn't tell my side of the story!" to Eddie and I was like "What? That was a thing?" Then right before he dies he tells Eddie "I just wanted to be your friend!" and that DEFINITELY wasn't part of the movie before then. So I assume a lot was cut out because the studio didn't think anyone would want to watch more than 85 minutes of Venom. One way it does improve on the original is that the big CGI fight looks a lot better than the hard to follow final fight of that one, and there's some fun action moments in there. But man this just feels like half a movie, if that.

There's some asshole cop who gets a load of screentime and I can only assume it's because he's the villain in the next movie because otherwise it's weird!

Woody Harrleson is 16 years older than Naomie Harris but they were supposed to the same age as kids in the children's home?

There's a mid credit scene that really wants you to think Venom is going to fight Tom Holland's Spider-Man, which is hilariously resolved without them even meeting in the mid credits scene of a different movie. What was the point?

whisky

Boobie inspector
I wondered why you didn't talk about Adrian Toombs then I remembered it was the wrong awful spin-off.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Just watched a film about Whitey Bulger with Johnny Depp and Benedict Cumberbatch, that SHOULD have been way better. It was a snooze fest and Depp lacked any strong reaction as Bulger, he was more obnoxious than menacing.

CaptainWacky

I wondered why you didn't talk about Adrian Toombs then I remembered it was the wrong awful spin-off.

I literally started thinking "wait, is this the one with the pointless MIchaal Keaton cameo?" at one point (it's the one with the pointless Tom Holland cameo!)

whisky

Boobie inspector
Dungeons and dragons 2023.

Fun and light hearted, a little long, but always something happening.

Mirah

I love you
I just watched "A man called Otto" starring Tom Hanks.

It was the most depressing movie ever. WTF. How did people even watch this in the theater? Were they bawling the whole time? I am glad I was busy baking a cake so I didn't have to completely watch it.

CaptainWacky

How can I ever watch a movie again with so many tv shows.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
How can I ever watch a movie again with so many tv shows.
I'd also like to know that. My plans to catch up on summer movies during my 1.5 week vacation were thwarted by all my cable and streaming shows and too much cigar/weed smoking and socializing.