Mac vs. PC: The Comic

DarthSikle

GFHH Moderator
Try and play online poker on a Mac. I think you can only on UB.

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
I don't play online poker. Anyway, I have XP on my mac via Parallels. Another thing: What I use my mac for is sound editing, video editing, graphics, etc. and a mac is much better for that.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
IIRC, that was only back when Macs used different chips than PCs. Now that they both use the same chipset, that doesn't really apply anymore.

The Question

Eternal
foil1212 said:
Another thing: What I use my mac for is sound editing, video editing, graphics, etc. and a mac is much better for that.

Myth.

The Question

Eternal
Uh uh, not quite enough said just yet:

Sony Vegas.

Adobe Audition 2.0

But if you just have to have your audio editing Mac-simplistic, there's also:

Adobe SoundBooth CS3.

The fact is that everything Macs do, PCs do better, if you're over the age of 12.

And with the exception of the Mac Pro, high-end PCs simply pack stiffer specs than any Mac, from a full Gb more RAM to higher-powered video cards to the new dedicated physics processor from AGEIA, which not even the Mac Pro offers.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I am the Sony Vegas God here and every single version from 3.0 t0 7.0d run like a dream on my PC.

The Question

Eternal
And now for the reason I've actually been considering a Mac, despite how I love to bag on 'em -- I actually need a computer that does less. I need a computer that doesn't do gaming the way a PC can, one with an interface I'm not quite as accustomed to, which will funnel me into getting more writing done and less fucking-around-because-I-can. iPhoto? Boring. iWeb? Child-like. iDVD? Why bother? iTunes? No subscription service. (Yet.) Games? Give me a fucking break. Shoddy PC ports and... what? Myst? Please. Might as well get some work done, that's all it's good for.

Ishcabittle

The Saint said:
And with the exception of the Mac Pro, high-end PCs simply pack stiffer specs than any Mac, from a full Gb more RAM to higher-powered video cards to the new dedicated physics processor from AGEIA, which not even the Mac Pro offers.

You can get a physics proc for the Mac Pro - PCIx I believe. "Hopefully we'll see this for the Mac", although I don't see any reason why they couldn't port it over.

If you buy an iMac looking for a high end workstation, yeah, you'll be left wanting. That's what the Mac Pro is for, and since it can triple boot OS X, Windows (Vista even), and Linux, you can make it whatever you want it to be.

In the end, build it yourself PCs will always have an advantage over Macs because you can put whatever the fuck you want in it, but Macs will always have the advantage of an OS specifically written for the hardware. PCs will never have integrated OS/hardware solutions like Target Disk Mode, Open Firmware (BIOS comes close, but not quite), Single User Mode, out of the box (or freeware app) cloning, standardized driver sets (extract an HD from a G3 iMac and install it in a G5 tower and it will boot)... etc. Here's a typical Mac backup scheme: Clone to an external FW drive. Done. Your internal drive fails, you boot to your clone and keep working. When your new drive replaces the failed drive, you clone back from FW and keep working. You could have taken the clone home and booted to that volume on any other Mac and kept working.

As a technology consultant that has to troubleshoot issues on both PCs and Macs, I appreciate very, very much the steps Apple has taken to make troubleshooting their machines easy. You can split/half search a Mac in less than ten minutes, PCs on the other hand are a quagmire of madness. You want to take an item out of the startup loop? Head to /Library/StartupItems/ and remove the file. You want to do the same on a PC? Delete the app, search through the registry, search through the msconfig panel, reboot, make sure it took, reconfig, blah blah blah.

Hardware/Software integration is the core strength of the Mac. That in and of itself creates possibilities that PCs can't compete with. Inversely, Hardware/Software independence it a strength that Macs can't compete with - you can build a badass machine for $400. So in the end - it's just what you prefer, which is where I think we left the last Macs vs. PCs thread.

The Question

Eternal
Foil just doesn't get it (as most Mac folks don't when I do this) -- you want to sell me a Mac? Brag to me about all of the time-wasting crap I won't be able to do on it. Talk up its downside. Tell me that it's a pretty but weak-sauce machine best used exclusively as a word processor/email station/web browser.

Don't tell me it'll run games; no, it won't. Don't tell me it can run everything an XP/Vista machine can; no, it can't. Why won't it? Why can't it? Because if you want to tell me how great it is, you'll tell me it won't, and it can't. See?

Ishcabittle

Well, I'm not going to lie to you... It can do everything a XP/Vista machine can do, possibly faster. But, if you don't install any of those time wasting applications, you won't waste your time, right? So why would you want to spend the extra money on a Mac when you could build yourself a $300 shit box and run Ubuntu? If that's what you're after...

You're in the mood for a straight up work machine, sweet. ANY machine will do that for you. If you want to limit yourself because you can't resist the temptation to game or waste time, run a Linux distro, OpenSUSE is pretty good for that right out of the box. Don't declare that a Mac would be perfect for that because it's simply not true - you can do anything a XP/Vista machine can do and more.

I get it, but I'm not going to say a Mac is something it's not. But I get where you're coming from.