Jade Cargill hopes to inspire a future generation of Black female wrestlers

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Jade Cargill hopes to inspire a future generation of Black female wrestlers

The former college basketball player wants to be a trendsetter for those following in her footsteps: ‘I’m just trying to show them I’m here for you’

In front of a packed crowd on AEW Dynamite, Jade Cargill, rocking her white hair in glossy black gear, was preparing to fly like her favorite X-Men superhero, Storm. After weeks of competing in a fierce, 12-woman tournament for the 10 pounds of gold, she was just minutes away from winning it all. While throwing hands with Ruby Soho, Cargill stood on the top rope to set up her signature move, “Jaded.” Not only was this her first time attempting the move off a top rope, but it was also something she’s expressed fear of trying on a 2020 All Elite Wrestling podcast episode. Despite that, Cargill landed it and went in for the three-count to become the inaugural AEW TBS women's champion. Cargill’s journey stems from her lifelong love for wrestling merged with her athletic background. She grew up in Gifford, Florida, where she would do everything from wrestling with her brother Shawn in the front yard to catching lizards and occasionally jumping off rooftops. Although WWE heavily recruited her, loyalty became a factor in her decision to join AEW, and she let her mentor know before he signed on. “Just to have someone believe in me, gamble on me and understand the vision I wanted to go, it mattered to me,” Cargill said. “It just felt right.”

Click Here For Complete Story