It's here! It's here!

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Dual-layer if your drive can handle it. I loves my 8GB DVDs. :D

Friday

Bazinga!
Dual layer? What the hell is a dual layer?

Okay, I'm overwhelmed. I'm thinking of returning this thing and going back to my dinosaur of a laptop. At least it's capabilities and mine matched. ;)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
NO YOU MUST EMBREACE THE NEW AND BE ASSIMILATED YABUL!!!1

Relax, you'll get there. :)

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
6x SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Yes, it an burn to DL (dual-layer) disks. It won't be super fast, but it will do it.

Friday

Bazinga!
Okay, wait. You're telling me I dropped more than 2 grand (including tax) on this thing, and it ain't the fastest machine on the planet?

Sigh.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
6x isn't a very fast DVD drive, that's all.

Your machine is, overall, very fast.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Damn, all this talk about hardware is making me that way.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Colonel Kira's Left Tit said:
Burning DVDs at lower speeds is usually a good thing. Fewer errors that way. Mine is a few years old and burns at a max speed of 16X for single layer discs, 8X for dual layer discs (I think), but I usually burn them at a lower speed anyway. It might take 10-15 minutes or so.

I always do the double pass, It always runs in background anyway.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Not really any help to you, but in troubleshooting peripherals, when all else has failed, at some point I will physically hold the peripheral up to the monitor and say "SEE!? SEE IT! RECOGNIZE IT! IT'S A ____ . RECOGNIZE IT!"

Ishcabittle

Your external drive doesn't need any sort of drivers, so if it doesn't appear on the desktop immediately there are a couple of things we can do to get it going:

1. Open Disk Utility (found in Applications > Utilities) and select the external drive. Click on "First Aid" and then click "Repair Disk".

2. If that doesn't do it or you get errors, click on the "Erase" pane and click Erase. Note: this will reformat the drive, erasing all data. Don't do this if you have anything on the drive you need to save.

3. Attach the FW drive to any other macintosh - if another machine reads the drive and your new 'book doesn't, let us know and we'll troubleshoot from there.

Regarding heat - yes, these new macbooks are hot mothers, so you have to consider heat management whenever you use it. Don't place the book on a cloth surface, like a tablecloth, bedspread, or pillow. You'll suffocate the vents and heat up the book. Try to keep it out of direct sunlight especially. Consider one of those aluminum lap desks, those guys are wonders for heat management. Oddly enough, your actual lap is a pretty bad place to use a macbook, as your thighs have probably already complained. Your own body heat adds to the heat of the book, and then add in the crappy heat dissipation capability of the jeans/skirt/leather gimp outfit that you're wearing at the time.

Ask more questions if you need to, PM me for a quicker response!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Friday said:
Dual layer? What the hell is a dual layer?

Somebody who only fucks sock puppets?