Human beings are basically worthless sacks of shit

Yep.

So I'm working at a company that uses the "honor system" for sick time. The company is well run, pays to scale, and keeps a lot of the intangibles, like the "honor system" sick leave.

Well, used to.

They pay someone a six figure salary, they figure that this person should be professional enough to do the following:
Get the job they pay them to do DONE.
Not lie when they are taking a day off.
Not take so many days off that they can't get that very well compensated for work done.

So why, when I fire someone who can't hold to the above, am I suddenly the "bad boss"? Yeah, I'm new. No, I'm not trying to build a hard-ass reputation. I gave people the benefit of the doubt, presumed that pay-scale would translate into performance, and...well.

People are inherently untrustworthy. This is a good place to re-state this obvious fact.

I didn't miss any of you.

-SB

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
[YOUTUBE]Jonxv1yyX7o[/YOUTUBE]

Enkephalen

My Stars!
The only reason the employees figure you are a "bad boss" is because they fear for their own jobs. You've now put the fear of unemployment into their cosy set up.

People needs boundaries, just like kids. The honor system works, but only for those employees that are self motivated and have a fire in their belly. The rest are just line followers, you tell them "what" and "where" and they ask "when". Give them structure and tell them what your expectations are. Give them deadlines and clear instructions on job completion. But this also means that you, as boss, must have follow ups with them along the way. Don't wait until the job is supposed to be completed because then it's too late.

Most people are dweebs. They thrive on rules and regs, clear cut instructions and having the origami box already prepared for them to put the widgets inside. If you have too many dweebs in your company, they will drain you dry like psychic vampires because they require too much hand holding. You need a really good mix of the self motivated sprinkled with the dweebs. Those are the employees that make your business run smoothly and sucessfully.

. . .

But that's just my opinion from the back of the peanut gallery.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
I haven't missed you either, actually.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Never mind.