House of the Dragon

MODMAN

Haha that's awesome. I'd just watched the clip after seeing something pop up about it. They're both rather lovely to watch.

As for the episode, the consensus in our household was "next episode now!" - damn. The dragons taking matters into their own hands was an interesting twist.

A solid episode in it's own right with the necessary board-setting for next season. Hard to believe how far we've come in 10 episodes from two carefree girls chilling under the weirwood discussing cake. I haven't read the book so wasn't initially aware they'd even end up on opposing sides. This has become a firm favourite and is an unexpected surprise after having kept my enthusiasm in check, given the disappointing wrap up of GoT.

And oh boy - that look. Fire and blood incoming.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Finale was excellent. The final sequence with Arrax and Vhagar was extremely well done. No expense has been spared on the dragon CGI budget, that's for sure. I loved how Visery's warning about it being an illusion that they truly control the dragons came to a head. They're basically kids with nuclear weapons that have minds of their own. Even without Luke getting chomped the war was inevitable but what a catalyst to really kick it off.

Daemon going to see Vermithor was also another great scene. Emily D'Arcy acting her ass off again. I was worried about the time jump and taking to the new actresses but both Olvia Cooke and Emily D'Arcy have been brilliant.

As I already said on Facebook and Twitter, Aemond might be the first anime villain done well in live-action.

aemond-blue-eye-House-of-the-dragon.jpg
Motherfucker looks badass.

Yes, I'm gushing because the show deserves it. It deserves all the flowers.

I know it's beating a dead horse at this point but the comparison with Rings of Power is kind of relevant. They went up against each other as the two flagship fantasy shows of the year and it's not even close. The hype around House of the Dragon online has been vastly larger than anything Rings of Power has mustered as well. You don't need official viewing figures to know which one captured the zeitgeist. House of the Dragon was obviously not a cheap show to make but again, compared with Rings of Power...

The only problem with the new format of big expensive film-quality shows is that the wait between seasons is excruciating. We're probably looking at 2024 before season 2. Maaaybe, end of 2023. A long time!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Good finale.

Vhager looked like Godzilla when Luke landed on a Dragonstone. He didn't have a chance, really.

Why did Stannis never light up the stone table map.

I hope we're still alive when season two starts.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I don't know nothing about birthing babies! (god, I hope we don't have any more childbirth scenes)

The dragons were cool.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

MODMAN

This is also an interesting Olivia Cooke search result:

Holy ...

Sorry 'bout the kids, Rhaenyra. But oh my goodness - it's Team Green for me!

Untitled.jpg