Hall of Fame Temple basketball coach John Chaney dies at 89

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
i

Hall of Fame Temple basketball coach John Chaney dies at 89

Hall of Fame basketball coach John Chaney, a zone defense innovator who led Temple to 17 NCAA tournament appearances, has died at the age of 89. The university said he died after a short, unspecified illness. Chaney spent 24 seasons at Temple, beginning in 1982-83 -- the only season his Owls failed to reach the NCAA tournament or NIT. He went to the Elite Eight on five occasions, and Temple was ranked No. 1 for a stretch during the 1987-88 season, when the Owls finished 32-2 and went 18-0 in Atlantic 10 play. Before taking over at Temple, Chaney spent 10 seasons at Cheyney University, a Division II program about 30 miles outside Philadelphia. He went to eight Division II tournaments and won the national championship in 1978. Elected to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001 and the College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006, Chaney won 516 games at Temple and 741 games overall. He still ranks among the top 40 college basketball coaches in career wins and was the first Black coach to reach 700 wins. Chaney won the Henry Iba Award, given to the Coach of the Year by the United States Basketball Writers Association, back-to-back in 1987 and 1988. On the court, Chaney was known for his matchup zone defense, a strategy that confounded opponents for decades and annually had Temple among the leaders in scoring defense. Chaney, who was born Jan. 21, 1932, in Jacksonville, Florida, was a passionate coach on the sideline who had his share of incidents with opponents. Off the court, Chaney was a staunch advocate of helping poor adolescents better their lives through education.

For Complete Story Click Here

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Btw, Jack did commission it from Bissette, and they did give me permission to use it when I opened the Chophouse at the Kingdom. You wouldn't know any of this because you were banned from that board just after it opened. I've been using it for my av here since 2010. Jack still owns the artwork, but it's mine in the sense that he's given me permission to use it, something you don't have.

You lie about everything, just like you're lying about this. I do NOT give you permission to use it.