DREAM THREAD Part Pi.Pi!

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Last night was off the hook. A couple dreams about watching a movie and a couple dreams about a recurring dream job.

So the first dream, I'm at my friend's, and his daughter is looking at a mailer on upcoming shows on streaming and saying she isn't going to have time for homework. This segued into some '90s-like movie where this kid goes over to his girlfriend's house and while he's in her bedroom we see like a black gorilla/skull like head with flames on him (and this "movie" had low-budget FX). It goes away when he's in another room and it turns out there's like a doll or stuffed toy in with a pile of teddy bears that looks a little like a Grey alien that is in the process of possessing the guy. And it eventually possesses him so his face turns back to normal (with the Neo inside Agent Smith bubbles during the transition), only he's kind of like alien symbiote Peter Parker, kind of seedy and creepy. And at some point we do hear head narration from the monster about taking him over.

Next one is more mundane. Older cousin I haven't seen in decades is watching "The Phantom Menace" for the first time and I'm stuck watching it and I'm kind of spoilering it--"Oh, where we're setting up for the next gratuitous CGI spectacle."

Then I'm at this temp job I've worked that has a difficult boss. They've hired me as a permanent employee and it is my first day. The boss isn't there and the day is running long and some other relatively new hire is annoyed because it isn't in their contract to work that late so HR is there. There are also a couple emergency drills--a fire drill and a tornado drill. I'm talking to one of the workers and I give a long rambling answer and she and her friend are like "Never answer [The Boss] like that. He'll fire you on the spot. Only give direct answers." And I'm like "Holy crap, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out." But this is odd because The Boss has always liked me--or at least acted like he did. Later I had a continuation of this dream where the conversation from the previous dream came up. Also I was wondering why I was taking the job, since I'd just gotten a dog and the long hours would be problematic (to say nothing of the crazy boss).

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Busy night last night. Past few days, The Dog has been sleeping on the bed more than usual and I think that has been a factor. (The Cat usually also sleeps on the bed and snuggles up next to my feet, which makes it awkward when I need to flip to the other side every hour or two.)

First one, around 3am, I'm in a medical waiting room. The VA? Who knows. I'm not in the VA, but that was the stereotype. There's like 3 people ahead of me but the line isn't moving. Someone who showed up an hour or more after me is starting to get impatient and I'm like "I showed up around 8 and I'm still waiting. That lady got here around 7:30."

And I'm realizing I've lost the other dreams, but noteworthy is that they featured my high school classmates--although I think they were set at least after the age of 30 because I was talking about being in the military at one point. The general theme was waiting, tests, and having the things you need to do your job. So yeah, this concrete project I'm supposed to do tomorrow morning was also likely a big factor.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Two last night, I lived in a flat ( huge shock) but this one had floor to ceiling windows I went closer to the window to have a look at the view and the whole thing started to tip over.

Later I dreamed I was parachuting, which I think is a first, but I was falling with other people and a bull, who was not enjoying it. I remember thinking this bull is going to be pissed when we land.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. Lots of mini dreams last night. Forgot them all. Except for one that I thought was an actual memory. Until this afternoon when I realized I dreamed it: For some reason I had to go over to the first rental. And I needed to get up on the roof of the garage and/or get into the neighbor's yard, which scared the crap out of the neighbor kids, who were Home Alone. And they explained they were nervous because someone got murdered on the block last week and I felt really bad because I'm proud of my houses and don't want them in bad neighborhoods.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I was somehow freinds with Robert Downey Jr, and had been at his wedding where his suit had turned into an iron man suit live in front of everyone.

I guessed it was some kind of projection, but he said his entire suit and shoes were essentially a TV.

Then he let me look after them.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
How'd last night's go?... It started with my parents alive--but divorced? Separated? Or just each out doing their own thing. And trying to get everyone together. I was living in some kind of dorm and I had to leave...my Mom, over on the other side of campus, where I parked my car. Then I got to my room and my Dad--but realized I'd left The Dog and Cat in the car and hadn't even cracked the windows (it was pretty cool in the dream, but still...) So I got there and took care of that and was set to head BACK to the other side of campus when my Mom said Dad was just coming over to us. But then, somehow we all decided to go into this Planet Fitness/Peloton gym that had small group "coaches" and was getting ready to start a class. I wound up in a different group from Mom or Dad, but was there with my best friend from 5th grade. And it was a gaggle, waiting for all the coach/trainers to show up. But they gave us huge cocktails to drink while we were waiting. Our trainer was hot and, of course, was flirting with us because she wanted us to get stupid and spend lots of money. I was in street clothes, but they had actual specific outfits we were supposed to wear. At this point I realized we'd have to buy them as part of the fee and was stalling to avoid that. They were supposed to be on this brochure that was the size of an old roadmap but I couldn't find them anywhere. Eventually my friend was like "let's just quietly walk off" but I'd taken my sneakers off and had to go grab them so the trainer noticed and tried to guilt us into staying. Instead of just ignoring her I said something like "I could've worked out 3 times in the time we've been standing around."

Oh, and I'd have left long before, but at the bottom of our little "welcome" packets was a condom so of course I was hoping I'd get to fuck the trainer girl. But eventually it just wasn't worth the hassle (and I secretly knew that was why they put it there, to sucker us into staying).

Also my Dad had gotten a hip replaced (I think he was being a proxy for my IRL other friend) and my knee was acting up, which was somehow why we decided to go to the gym. And when I hooked back up with him (he'd decided to skip out of his class at about the same time) his leg was giving him a lot of trouble. It was a long, odd dream.

The Question

Eternal
Had a couple last night; neither was terribly interesting.

1. (Context: been having some trouble correctly generating LOD textures/meshes for a game in order to improve the game's viewing distance. Just have not been able to get those generated, to my satisfaction.) Dreamed that the problem with that was a totally unrelated setting, but -- having arrived at the solution -- kept forgetting to actually implement it. Then forgot what the solution was. Then remembered what it was again, and -- again -- forgot to actually implement it. Rinse and repeat a few times until I woke up needing to go take a massive shit.

2. Dreamed I was in a different house, but it was equally as ancient and fucking weirdly laid out as the one I actually live in. Place had one bedroom, but the bedroom had this weird-ass anteroom to it, with its own door. So, really, it was like a bedroom with a bedroom-sized closet. One bathroom in the place, and that was extra weird; specifically, the toilet, which instead of being normal porcelain, was covered in this weird sort of tile. And the tile was actually a sleeve around the fixture, said sleeve mostly having come off on one side. Very strange and disturbing.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
At a Boy Scout Expo. It was so big that they had it in 2 parts--one group was in the building the first 2 days and then the second group was in. So I found this booth that looked nice and the other adult with me helped me start setting up. Then the troop who had that booth came back and wanted to know what we were doing. Eventually the organizers showed up and sorted it out and were going to show us where our booth was. There was some kind of epilogue where there was some kind of camo/mosquito netting command center/ice shack. A bunch of guys sitting in the dark watching monitors and drinking beers or something, but that part wasn't very clear.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I think there were some good ones last night, but the only one I remember, there was some kind of detention facility, possibly in the Pacific NorthWest, and it was pretty easy to escape because it was in the middle of nowhere so they'd just go out and track down the escapees. For some reason people would usually escape in pairs. I was one of the escapees in the first part and we got caught pretty quickly. Then they showed the escape before that and finally the first escape. The first escape, they got all the way to the river, which was in a gorge. There was a white prison pickup truck parked by the shore but they started up the beach, ignoring it. I was a bit annoyed because it looked like they were heading farther away from civilization, but since I was just watching a past event, there was really nothing I could do. Eventually they may have found an old boat, but I don't know if it was seaworthy.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Don't really have any specifics, but last night was one of those nights where I got up to use the bathroom, couldn't get back to sleep, and when I eventually did, I dreamt I was still awake. Only realizing that things happened that couldn't have made me realize I'd finally gotten back to sleep. Pretty standard themes. Living in shared housing and roommates would wreck anything nice that I had.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I was jogging on the spot on a teams meeting with nothing on my lower half, a lot of women were watching, one appeared in the room and started to blow me while my wife was stood in the room, I asked her if she was ok with this, she said I am if you are, so I let her carry on.

I think the jogging part was the biggest clue I was dreaming.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. I almost didn't post this one, because it isn't (to me) terribly interesting. Until I realized it was.

I have weird (to me) dreams. Basically dream movies where I may not even be in them; just something my unconscious brain whips up to entertain me. Sometimes I'm a character in the dream, but it isn't like I'm in the dream--I'm just an actor playing someone in the dream. Or I'm a camera angle.

So. Other night it was a superhero movie. It was a DC movie, but seemed to be a riff on the latest Thor movie. All the DC characters that are gods were under attack (so basically Wonder Woman, I think). We get to the big final battle and I get to be Zeus. I guess Jupiter, because Wonder Woman uses the Roman gods. Now I don't think Zeus was big on flying into battle, but this IS a movie/dream, so I'm basically like "PLAYER 2 HAS ENTERED THE GAME!" and leaping up and flying into the big battle. But, being Zeus, I of course set about smiting some demigod/superhero with a lightning bolt. And nothing happens. I try again a few more times. No luck. Eventually I have to whale the shit out of someone while Wonder Woman piles on to help on the off chance that the lightning bolts won't be added in post-production.

I mention this because when I'm me in dreams, if I have a gun and need to use it, about 95% of the time it isn't going to work. It will jam or I won't have the right ammo or I'll have taken it apart to clean it and lost a part or it just won't work. This in spite of me basically never having a gun fail to work IRL. Meanwhile, in dreams it isn't uncommon for me to fly. Sometimes it's a pretty lame full concentration to levitate a few inches off the ground and move along slowly. Sometimes I can actually fly pretty good. IRL I've never actually flown by my own power, to my knowledge.

So it's a bit interesting that, while playing Zeus, I can fly around like nothing, but the goddamn lightning bolts won't work.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This morning's was a lot more familiar and easy to understand. There was some kind of major crisis. And everyone was being formed up into groups at the local municipal building to address it. I heard an interesting conversation in a different group about procuring tractors that was relevant to something I was working on personally, but realized it must be an agriculture group and I was in a different group. I started looking around but couldn't find my group so then some organizer got everyone up and tried to get them in the right groups but apparently no one knew what group they were in because we all just kept milling around until I woke up.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
New variation on the "guns don't work in my dreams" dreams: For whatever reason, me and some other military types (including at least one who definitely knew how to shoot) were doing target practice with M4/carbine length AR-15s and when you'd shoulder the rifle, you couldn't see the sights. We were all trying to figure out what was going on and how to shoot them because every time you had the gun in position to fire the sights were completely obstructed.

Then, in the morning I had a very involved dream where someone was inspecting my first rental property with intent to buy it--only it was some generic dream version of my first rental property. And before my first actual tenants lived there, some B list celebrity that I "know" at a 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon level, was a friend in the dream and had rented it from me for a few months before it didn't work out. She was back while I was there. The people doing the inspection were in some other room and we discovered that there was a trap door underneath some carpeting on the second floor. We were like "why would there be a trap door in the floor on the second floor?" "I don't know, but that's sure what it feels like is under there. Then I come down into the kitchen and the place is just trashed. For some reason my Mom is my property manager. Dad is there too but he's more kind of just looking on. I'm asking if the inspectors did all this damage and saying we need to charge them for these damages (I'm not entirely sure why they're inspecting anyway, because I hadn't planned to sell the place.)

Meanwhile (and I don't remember where this fits in the narrative) they've cut into the carpet where the trapdoor is, including cutting a hole for the key and there's a ring of assorted skeleton keys laying next to it. I'm inclined to see what's in the trapdoor, but somehow that's Against the Rules.

Anyway, we get the inspection team down into the kitchen and my Mom just starts basically yelling at them so I cut her off to try to walk them into a rational conversation about the damages instead of just an antagonistic fight. I'm genuinely curious about the trap door key since obviously I didn't give it to them, so I'm asking the inspector where he got the key and I can't get a straight answer. Maybe I should drop it and move to the damages because I'm not making any headway, but I feel like if I don't get an answer I'm going to lose the fight on the damages too. After about my 6th attempt to explain things I look up and the whole inspection team have left. I ask my Mom and she says they just walked out while I wasn't looking. There were some other little bits but I don't really remember them and I woke up around that point anyway.

Mirah

I love you
I was working at a fast food joint,which I have never done. I destroyed a bunch of hamburgers, but nobody got mad.

Mirah

I love you
Also I had a dream about giving some guy a card and his wife, we were on assignment so when he went back home he returned the card. It was just a birthday card tjo, nothing risque.

I watched too mu h Mash at my moms, it was playing in the background.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Had a few last night. Only one I remembered was straight-up a History Channel documentary--complete with narrator. It was talking about the history of cavalry in warfare. It's too bad there isn't a way to record what your brain is actually showing, because being in a dream, it all makes perfect sense and your brain can just make up facts or whatever and it seems really interesting. But maybe on replay it's all a bunch of gibberish. That said, there was one specific bit where they were talking about the importance of the development of the revolver because this allowed cavalry to ride into range, empty a large volume of fire into ranks, and then ride off to somewhere safe to reload.