Doctor Who Season OR SERIES 13

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I don't remember counting down the weeks to a regeneration before...

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'm still so confused as to how many episodes are left that I can't even think about RTD yet (isn't it 2023 when he takes over? That's ten years away!)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I had a comment on Facebook removed as spam when I critisised this episode.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
At least 5 more Fux'd episodes and a Christmas special.
5 more Flux episodes, then 3 specials, which will be stretched out over 2022. The third episode is called the "Centenary Special" which means 100 years of something and I don't know what since Doctor Who isn't 100 years old... so we won't get the new RTD Doctor until the end of 2022 or sometime in 2023, if the Earth still exists then.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
They crammed so much into the first episode that there can be nowhere to go but down. I assume the universe doesn't crumble next week, so does this mean CSI DOCTOR WHO AND GANG will be on the case talking and talking and talking to people for the middle 3 episodes to figure out what happened and what to do?

The parade of aliens throughout the ep did make it seem more Who-ish than the usual Jodie episode (for a while). And the twist about the invading force was okay. But then Jodie just kept pointing her sonic screwdriver at everything like she always does, and looking wide eyed at the results like she always does. I dunno...

whisky

Boobie inspector
Well it was better than last week's at least.

Deus ex doggima.

CaptainWacky

It's not bad, exactly, there's nothing I can see the angry Youtube people ranting about (I'm sure they will anyway.) But it just feels pretty flat and lacking in wonder or excitement. And another four parts of this same storyline is definitely going to be too much.

The actress playing John Bishop's mother is nine years older than him.

CaptainWacky

This week's was like a Moffat episode, but written by Chibnall. It's hard to judge until was see all six parts and find out if it all holds together. I'm finding it better than usual for Chibbers anyway. I quite like the campy villain guy and how he says "ha ha ha ha!" sometimes. Jo Martin was good again in her brief appearance.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Boy is it gonna be a letdown after all this huge-concept messing with all universes and times story arc, when the next regular episode for the new doctor will be about a house that sucks its guests into the walls...

whisky

Boobie inspector
Saw it last night while tired and a bit drunk, just seemed like a big mess, again.

Three episodes in and still introducing new characters, and still no sign of the companion the doctor hasn't met yet from the first episode.

whisky

Boobie inspector
If this universe is doomed, and Cinder and not Rose Tico are having a baby, what are the chances that they send the child through the portal into another universe and they become the timeless child?

CaptainWacky

Yeah it seems really obvious that the baby will end up being the Doctor. I don't want the Doctor's entire (newly invented) history spelt out. It's not actually that important!

Three episodes in and still introducing new characters, and still no sign of the companion the doctor hasn't met yet from the first episode.

She was in the preview for next week.

The Question

Eternal
It's amazing how everyone worried that the fans wouldn't treat a female doctor well. Turns out the only ones not treating her well are her writers.
Between Whittaker and the writers, the first female doctor thing was a washout. Regardless of their reason for doing it, and I personally still think it was a gimmicky, stunt-y thing to do, it COULD have been done brilliantly. It just... wasn't.

Contrast Whittaker as The Doctor against Michelle Gomez as The Master/Missy. Vast gulfs of difference in performances... and in receptions. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Now, what they might've done, if they'd really wanted to break new ground and please the fanbase... cast Michelle Gomez as the 13th Doctor.

We know the Doctor can sometimes 'assume' faces / forms he's seen in previous incarnations -- he did that in the 12th, recalling and assuming the form of the man whose family he'd saved in his 10th incarnation. His 12th got very close to "Missy", even rekindling their friendship, in a dysfunctional sort of way.

And hooooooly shit, the absolute, batshit crazy whirlwind of fan speculation that move would've generated, too. "Was Missy really The Master? Or was she The Doctor... fucking with herself/himself?! Is that what The Master's been this whole time?!"

The Beeb couldn't have paid solid gold TARDISes for the level of fanbase engagement and growth that move would've resulted in.

Meh. Missed opportunity.

CaptainWacky

I thought it would be a standalone episode inside the arc, but nope, nothing was resolved at all and they squeezed in several scenes with the Irish girl and the guy from The Inbetweeners. And a mid credit scene, because everyone's doing them! I actually though there was some nice stuff with the angels, like the on on fire, and the guy playing the professor was good. And I liked when the little girl was happy that her evil uncle died. Children can be like that.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I thought the angels used to send you back long enough that you would die on the day you were originally sent from? So multiple people shouldn't be sent back to the same time period.

The rules change in every episode anyway, and nothing ever comes close to blink.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm sick of the weeping angels. They are a cheap, easy scare gimmick, and the show has gone to the well for them too many times.

The angels are the Borg of DW, and they have reached the point now that the Borg reached by Voyager.