Better Call Saul

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Final five episodes are all about the origin of the golden toilet.

CaptainWacky

That better not be the last we see of Kim.

MODMAN

I don't think it is. My mother adamantly thinks that's it, so we had a light-hearted $5 bet on it. I just don't see it - we still have post-BB.

Given how other characters have had their stories tied up, I just don't see Kim - who has become as much a primary character to Odenkirk's Jimmy/Saul - getting cut off packing her bag.

I mean, they could - it would be ballsy and frustrating. But done right, could add to the tragedy of Gene. I think many found the break-up abrupt - I think they captured the heart-wrenching, stomach-churning feel that accompanies such a brutal, out-of-left-field break-up magnificently. I had a god-awful knot in my stomach as things started moving too quickly for us as the viewer and Jimmy.

When speculating what-if, I had this random idea: Gene ends up wherever he ends up (or stays at the Cinnabon), dejected but safe (for now). He's working - still in a customer facing role - and takes the counter. Not paying much attention, he takes the next customer. A female orders - neither are paying much attention to one another or making eye contact. He registers a familiar voice and slowly looks up from the counter. It's Kim - and she's staring straight back at him having seen through his disguise with a look of shock and disbelief. They both just look at one another, a flux of pain, anguish and love in their faces. No words.

And then Kim's husband rocks on up beside her and tells Gene what he's after. Kim quickly goes into cover mode and puts the order through ASAP. They take their food and leave. Kim never sets foot in the store / mall again.

Just off the top of my head. Too cruel?

CaptainWacky

Just when we thought we'd get the Breaking Bad era episodes we get a surprise Gene episode! And it was a classic Jimmy scam.

I kind of expected to see Kim walk in at the end.

CaptainWacky

"After all that, a happy ending" last week was MOCKING US!

So did Saul find out something about Kim which meant he needs a lot of money, fast? Or has he just gone completely insane bad to the point of taking crazy stupid risks just to rob a cancer patient.

The Mike scene was better than the Walt and Jesse scene, but the hats were a good way to disguise their hairlines.

CaptainWacky

Amidst all the amazing drama, Kim's new man saying "yep!" during sex made me laugh out loud.

MODMAN

(I won the bet but let Mum keep the money. I'm not a fucking monster.)

One episode left. Um, yeah. Wow. I've loved the final run of episodes but this latest one was sublime.

"There's a criminal standing in my kitchen threatening me. He's a wanted man, and his name is Saul Goodman."

FBI will freakin' swarm the place.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

Well, it's over. We got one finally big twist with Saul going back to Jimmy (but still Saul for the prisoners?) It's weird that it ended with him starting an 86 year prison sentence but felt kind of hopeful? Certainly not as bleak as it was looking like it could have ended for the last few episodes. The gun fingers made me tear up a little.

Great to see Marie again! And even Chuck! It was nice that Mike got a sympathetic scene to go out on, while Walter was just a pedantic dick. Makes sense given Saul's relationships with both.

I'd totally watch another show in the same universe. I'd watch Saul in prison but I know they'd never do that (and that's probably for the best.)

Should I watch all of Breaking Bad again now I don't know.

MODMAN

I loved how Saul kept looking back at Kim in the courtroom. Was it enough? This was all for her, but it appeared he still wasn't delivering. Saul claiming his place as the architect behind Heisenberg's empire wasn't enough, so Saul finally gave way to the man behind the caricature. When she finally heard Jimmy break through and he looked back for the approval he so desperately wanted, it was there in the slightest of smiles.

One thing Saul Goodman could never extinguish was Jimmy's love for Kim. Love won out. 7 years jail and the woman he loves never wanting a bar of him, or a life sentence, but Kim's love / respect. Wow.

The finger guns - live a good life Kim. Be happy.

And that final shot from Kim's perspective as Jimmy disappeared behind the prison. Phew.

Yeah, it was hopeful. It was a happier ending than I thought possible after the final run of episodes in the Gene timeline.

Very, very rare for something I'm hyped for to exceed my expectations, but there it is.

CaptainWacky

I wonder if Kim's still with "yep" guy.

MODMAN

The real Kim has re-emerged from the shell of Florida Kim - at least she's started to. She's volunteering at the free legal aid outfit. She's styled her hair & looking a bit snazzier. And of course, reconnecting with Jimmy. I'm assuming no.

I like this line from a review I'm just reading: "Jimmy’s last con was making us believe he was totally irredeemable, and we all fell for it."

Last edited:

MODMAN

Well that was pretty incredible, wasn't it?

Yep. Best series finale I can remember.

One other thing on the lighter side that made me laugh - Saul's final courtroom scene. . . Walt would be absolutely livid if he could hear Saul claim responsibility for building 'his' Empire. :D

Also, Marie. That was a great out of left field reveal.

We had some big gaps between seasons, but it was always comforting to know these BB-verse shows were still being produced. They set the bar incredibly high and respected the viewers' intelligence; there's little on the box I watch that's approached this level of quality and I am sad to see it go (although I completely support wrapping it up while at the top of their game). I look forward to seeing what Vince and co do next, as well as whatever Rhea Seehorn ends up doing. There's something pretty fucked up if she doesn't win an Emmy for her performance.

CaptainWacky

Maybe she'll get one this time as a kind of "we should have given you one six years ago" apology.

This was an excellent ending to an excellent show. I really wish they would have gotten Vince when they revived The X-Files. What a huge missed opportunity.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Finally finished. Wow. Actually an insanely brilliant show. With what a masterpiece Breaking Bad was for them to deliver to the same caliber again is a monumental achievement. It's definitely one of those rare shows that you finish and feel a bit lost for what to do after. I have many thoughts about it, all of which I'm too lazy to expound on right now but this one will stick with me for a while.

CaptainWacky