Batgirl movie - let's try this again

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
RIP to the Joss Whedon thread. Things are moving again for this project:

Leslie Grace Lands Role Of Barbara Gordon In New Warner Bros. & DC Film
J.K. Simmons To Reprise Commissioner Gordon Role In ‘Batgirl’
Jacob Scipio To Co-Star Opposite Leslie Grace In ‘Batgirl’ Movie From Warner Bros And DC
Brendan Fraser To Play Villain In New Warner Bros And DC Pic Starring Leslie Grace
Michael Keaton To Reprise Batman Role In ‘Batgirl’

‘Batgirl’: DC Gives First Look At Concept Art For The Live-Action HBO Max Film

ondwFvM.jpg

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
So does this confirm that Ben Affleck is going to be erased and replaced with Keaton at the end of the Flashpoint movie? Because that's not going to go down well with a certain set of fans.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Affleck says he doesn't want to work with other people's IP any more, so he's done with DC after the flash.

CaptainWacky

Her costume looks good.

d5unf0xebrb81.jpg

bfil94ugcic81.jpg

CaptainWacky

I haven't been in to Glasgow for years, even though it's pretty close to me. I don't stray far from home.

I remember my mum took photos of the set of World War Z then made us watch it (it wasn't that bad, really.)

whisky

Boobie inspector
I fucked up the cut and paste, but it takes some balls to flush a 90 million film down the toilet because it's so bad it will hurt the bat brand.

No doubt at some point a bunch of fans will demand to restore the batgirl verse.

CaptainWacky

It was the most interesting of the upcoming DC films to me: I was a fan of the comic run it was based on, it was filmed in Glasgow, Michael Keaton returning. How fucking bad could it be that they think it's better to not release it at all after filming the whole thing? They released Wonder Woman 1984 and that was shit (of course it made a lot of money because Wonder Woman was a huge hit so maybe I shouldn't compare them!)

I wonder if the real reason is that they're going to annouce they're scrapping The Flash soon and are doing away completely with the Michael Keaton return.

Whatever the reason I'm disappointed.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I think they will salvage the Flash movie because of the Keaton angle. As a result, this movie got screwed in the process.

No idea how good the Batgirl movie is/was, but it sucks if we are denied seeing it while batshit fugitive Ezra Miller may get rewarded for his behavior.

The Question

Eternal
How fucking bad could it be that they think it's better to not release it at all after filming the whole thing?
Maybe they think the four or five people who actually liked the Batwoman TV series will get confused by a Batgirl movie, then throw a screaming fit when their adult care worker explains the two aren't the same character.

CaptainWacky

Seems like it is just a money thing: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/batgirl-movie-why-not-releasing-warner-bros-1235332062/

“Batgirl” found itself on the bad end of that decision, apparently neither big enough to feel worthy of a major theatrical release nor small enough to make economic sense in an increasingly cutthroat streaming landscape. Spending the money to expand the scope of “Batgirl” for theaters — plus the $30 million to $50 million needed to market it domestically and the tens of millions more needed for a global rollout — could have nearly doubled spending on the film, and insiders say that was a non-starter at a company newly focused on belt-tightening and the bottom line. (Spokespeople for Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. Discovery declined to comment for this story.)

Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Doing so, however, would mean that Warner Bros. cannot monetize either movie — no HBO Max debut, no sale to another studio.

So they can't ever release it anywhere because they'll lose their "tax write-down" or whatever.

And think of the poor Scoob fans.

whisky

Boobie inspector
That first scoob was almost watchable, and the sequel had Mark Hammill.

CaptainWacky

I saw a tweet where the director was talking about how much love they put into the movie and how it was just about finished (Scoob 2) but then like the next day it was cancelled for a tax reduction. I don't care enough to find the tweet though.

CaptainWacky

Maybe they were trying to steal the Batgirl assembly cut.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Let's put it together, Keaton was supposed to be the batman in aquaman 2, that is now Affleck again, the batgirl movie where Keaton was batman is gone, the chances that the flash gets flushed and we never see Keaton batman again get higher every day.

CaptainWacky