Stephen King's "Cell"--a good summer read?

Shitty Dual

schroedinger's fat
^Carrie probably fits that bill. Misery and Shawshank Redemption were great, but I never read the books.

About the only thing I liked in Dreamcatcher (the movie) was the helicopters strafing the aliens.

I may also be the only person in a thousand-mile radius who vastly prefers Kubrick's film of The Shining to its source material.

The Dork Lord

Whipping Boy
Kubrick's Shinning was a masterpiece, but against the book is a hard sell.

Same for Misery and Shawshank, IMO.

You might be right about Carrie, but it was his first.

That poem from the book still sticks with me, tho.

Jesus watches from the wall
His face cold as stone
If he love me
Like she tells me
Then why am I alone?

Enkephalen

My Stars!
I am a Stephen King fan. Loved most of his books. No one can pull you into his written world quicker and hold you fast like a fly in a spider's web.

I've read the entire Dark Tower series. Can't say that all the books in that series were as good as the first two.

If you want a scary read, then read "The Shinning". That book made me swear off hotels in the mountains. I've read and re-read "The Stand" a few times just because there were no new King books out.

I love King's rich characterizations and multi-layered story lines. But he can get caught in a really irritating loop sometimes ('Detta in the Tower series comes to mind with her black-speak). King can be schmaltzy and as for dating his books, he always uses lines from 50's and 60's songs to preface his chapters so how dated is that?

Cell was just okay. It was King, it was a good and quick read, but like having speed sex, ultimately not satisfying and fulfilling. I agree he has been changed by his unfortunate accident. He seems to have lost his passion. Then again, maybe he just wants to retire and make all the voices stop.

I'd still rather read an uneven book by King than any of those other mystery writers that everyone swoons over.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I loved "It".

DT fans should definitely read The Talisman and Black House, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub.

Enkephalen

My Stars!
I also love that King will place some of his characters from other books into a different storyline with other main characters. He'll also mention various towns he uses in his stories too. King really immerses you in his universe and the "eath" he inhabits.

I listened to the "short" stories in his Four Past Midnight book. The "Langoliers" was riveting and scary as it was weird. But the basic premise was fresh and he certainly held you on the edge of your car seat on that long journey to Arizona from California. In fact, we slowed the car's speed below the legal limit so we could finish a chapter. It was a wonderful listen.

Thug Angel

Guess you biznitches hear also like Dungeons and Dragons. Fantaassy freaks. yo hole lifes are bout fantasy. pethetic

holla 5000

Enkephalen

My Stars!
So, Thuggi, how's your dating life going with your she-male friend? I think you have a richer fantasy life than we could ever dream of.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Yeah, the end to cell blows big time.

If you can even call it an end.