"You gonna get another job?"...

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Boring white collar work from home stuff.

So I got brought in to do this data mining project. The company has these huge complex databases. You can use SQL code to pull reports from them. Then there's a software that lets you combine these reports with Excel (among other) sources to add in data fields that aren't part of the original data and then export to yet *another* software that lets you create graphic representations of the data. That's what I'm doing. Started almost 2 months ago and am finally on the home stretch on it. So I've spent the afternoon fighting with a graphic because it doesn't have a caption--while the one that is nearly identical to it in another page (there are pages like Excel has) has the caption. Ultimately asked for help and the workaround was to create a duplicate of the page which *did* have the caption. So of course then I needed to delete the old page and rename the new one to get rid of the (2). But it wouldn't let me delete any of the existing pages. Best I could do was rename the old page to something else so I could give the new page the name it needed.

Meanwhile, my friend/boss had an urgent project not directly related to the one I got hired to do. But his computer died while he was trying to send it to me. Sp I was dead in the water.

I'm also helping out with end of month accounting tasks. Well, I've got stuff to do again, so I should get going.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
He managed to get me the SQL code I needed, I pulled the reports, and used the software to turn it into an Excel file based on an old file I worked on for him and a general understanding of what it was supposed to do. He looked at the output and apparently it made sense to him so I uploaded it to SharePoint (because God forbid you send a 28M attachment in e-mail in 2021) and he was able to get it. Hopefully they won't fire him or put him in jail until after he's signed off on all my timesheets.

Also got the project they hired me to do all polished up and ready to go. I'll miss the weekly wheelbarrow full of cash that shows up in my account, but truth be told, I won't mind if I get my time back to focus on my next real estate deal.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Oh, I am doing a good job. Best I can. And he hired me after I tried to convince him I wasn't qualified. I'm just talking about the insanity of it all (and he actually agreed with it). A few weeks back he pinged me on Teams that he needed a way to strip out a 6 digit sequence from a period separated string in this Alteryx software and sent me the "workflow" he'd built up to that point. But he's really busy--all the time--and his brain does things different than mine. He's very comfortable with formulas while I prefer to use tools to manipulate data. So I found this tool in the software that breaks a string down into separate strings, based on a delimiter. Then I just filtered out all the strings except the one he needed. Sent it to him and he was like "Good. It would've cost us millions of dollars in fines if I didn't have this by the end of the day."

So he put me to work on this one--which was similar but had new wrinkles. Meanwhile he's fighting with tech support, dealing with a misbehaving computer, and trying to get through month end accounting for a huge international company, so I got the SQL code I needed to run to generate the initial reports and a 3 minute explanation of what needed to happen before he had to go to another meeting; said he'd get back to me as soon as he could. By the time he was able to get back I'd pulled the reports, added a tool to merge them, changed selected bits of coding that were specific to the previous job that were generating errors, and was manually cleaning up the spreadsheet it had generated (hiding/deleting duplicate columns, etc).

So basically, I was using software I'd never even seen before mid June to manipulate data that I didn't understand in ways that I was making my best educated guesses at. Once he got on the call I was set to show him what I'd done but he was like "looks good. Figure out how to send it to me." I even said something to the effect that I was in total "Rainman/use the force" mode to generate the report and he goes "that's what most of us are doing most of the time."

Reminds me of a story I trot out from time to time. I was a new USMC Lieutenant at TBS (The Basic School. Yes, that's what the Marines call their initial officer course,) sitting in the back of a 5 ton with maybe a dozen other students, waiting for whoever's running things to figure out what we're doing next, and I turn to the guy next to me and say "The rest of the world looks at the USMC as the greatest, most feared and well trained fighting force in the world. Look at how fucked up we are. Can you imagine what it must be like in the Turkish Navy?" You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the guy next to you. If you show up late but you're still the first person there, you showed up on time and have been waiting for everyone else the whole time.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This is a Facebook post (kind of) but I'm on jihad against Facebook right now sooo....

3rd bedroom is about 80%. Wall is up and painted. Need to paint and install trim, hang the doors, and finish the closet of Narnia (it's a small closet so I'm building a small wardrobe onto the front of it that will have an open back to allow access to the closet). Then it's bells and whistles. My friend I'm working for is planning to visit on the way back from Space Camp for his daughter. I've got a guest bedroom and a futon couch in the living room, but since I've got a nearly complete additional bedroom, I want to get a sleeper sofa for that.

Odd thing about the house is that, apart from my new hallway, it doesn't have a hallway. It's like a basically normal house, only without a hallway. So the front porch opens into the living room--perfectly normal. But the guest bedroom also opens into the living room--less normal. And my bedroom opens into the kitchen--not normal at all. (There's also a connecting door between the 2 bedrooms.) But with the new bedroom for a master bedroom, it makes a cozy little place for a family of 4 (The kitchen is a bit small for a table for 4 people but other than that...)

But for various reasons I'm not going to move my bedroom into the new bedroom. Instead I'm going to make it more of a second living room. The risk to this is, if I ever sell the place, I'll probably have to reconfigure things so people understand that it's a bedroom. Because if you do a really good job making it feel like a place to sit and hang out the average person will have a hard time envisioning it as a bedroom.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
It's interesting, when I see a finished room in my head and then when it gets closer and closer to finished. There are times where you're moving away from your vision; thinking it isn't working or it isn't going to come together, but then you add the next detail and it starts to fit together again. Framed in the wall, screwed on the drywall. Mudded it. Then I started painting and was like "oh no, did I go with too strong a color?" But once it was done I was happy again. Toying with just leaving the trim white before doing the sage green from the rest of the house--and being glad I did. Getting the doors.

Again, I'm going with double "barn" doors to make the doorway as large as possible so I can keep the doors open most of the time and try to make the hallway less dark and claustrophobic. Also so when the doors are open it will create the effect of a paneled wall in the bedroom. Wanted hardwood. Couldn't find it so I was set to settle for pine. Plan was to do a cherry stain on it. There's nothing wrong with pine. It has its uses. I think most of my doors are pine (painted, but they'd look fine with their original wood finish), but you just can't make pine look like cherry. Or any other hardwood. The stain just makes for a muddy nondescript mess. Then! I found hardwood doors. True, they cost more than twice what the pine ones did, but I was just about to bite the bullet and do it when I remembered another big store that came into the area recently and sure enough, they had damned fine red oak doors for about what the other stores wanted for pine--and they had 6 in stock.

Took out the Awesome Van and got them. Debated staining them as opposed to a simple boiled linseed oil finish. For various reasons I wound up doing the oil and it turned out great.

Since...this is going to ramble a bit. How to proceed... I wasn't going to monkey with this room project until I had another rental and a person in it but then I got to thinking about how I planned to finance the next rental by mortgaging this place and how much more it should appraise for with a 3rd bedroom--especially compared to what it would cost to put in a 3rd bedroom--and decided to proceed. But just get it in! Furniture could come later. Except! My boss/friend is taking his 11 year old daughter to Space Camp in...Alabama? So he called me and pointed out Louisville was on his way home and wondered if I would like for him to stop in on the way home. Of course I did. And this gave me an excuse to start furnishing out the room. Because if you live alone, you really only NEED 1 guest bedroom, MAYBE. Unless you've got a friend that's bringing his kid. Yes, one of them could sleep on the futon couch in the living room, but when you've got a perfectly good bedroom that just needs some furniture...

So I pulled the trigger. It's like The Van. Wasn't going to do the exterior all at once--until I lined up an actual GMC Vandura. Even then, I wasn't going to do the interior--until I realized added weight in the interior (chairs, cabinets, etc) would help get the spoiler under the garage door. So stuff has been showing up. And it's mostly showing up as I'm ready for it. (Although the couch looks like it will show up too late, kind of defeating the whole raison d'etre for furnishing the room.

But I digress. The point is that there are moments when I think my plan has failed. And then I add some little thing and I love it when a plan comes together. Got some good progress on installing the barn door hardware tonight. And it's amazing how the vision all comes together when the doors are stained and the hardware is mostly in place. It actually works.

The other thing that interests me is how my plan changes based on availability. I hinted at this in the door story. You maybe envision a certain chair. Or couch. Or fireplace. But you can't find it. So your plans change If you're smart and good, the changes wind up being improvements. I really love the fireplace I've selected. My worry is that the space will turn out too small for a fireplace. So I'm trying to hold out. But the one I want is so perfect--and I can afford it--that I'm tempted to just get it coming. That's another thing--worrying that something will be discontinued or go out of stock. That was a spur to completing The Van ASAP. And it is a worry I have right now about the fireplace I want.

Well, I should get going. Ideally, I'd pull this all together and wrap it up nicely, but right now I can't think how to do that and I really should be getting unconscious. That's the other problem with this project: It's hard to go to bed. The temptation is to fuck around on it as long as possible. And when you can do no more, it's hard to just shut the lights off. I find myself sneaking back into the room to admire my handiwork.

Oh well, gotta go. Maybe I'll amplify this later.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The problem with having friends/being a part of society is sometimes you incur obligations. Even voluntarily.

My friend that I'm working for? His 2 year old cat somehow broke her back a couple weeks back. Against long odds, it has been recovering. Then it came down with pneumonia. All I will say about the vet bills is that I'm glad I never faced that choice with my dog or cat. I loved them dearly, but even if I had the money, I don't know that I could justify spending it on a pet--even a relatively young pet. Now that she's gone I've learned that The Dog actually provided some decent value as a guard dog and as rodent mitigation, but I digress.

The point is, he was taking his lovely 11 year old daughter down from Wisconsin to Alabama for Space Camp. He mentioned Louisville was on the way back and wondered if I'd like him to visit. I was absolutely thrilled by this and made efforts to get the new bedroom ready. Then the cat happened. He was staying at an AirBnB that didn't allow pets, so he couldn't take her with and he really didn't trust any boarding options for the level of care the cat would need. I pointed out that if Louisville was on the way back, it could also be on the way down. And that I had no pets right now, but had extensive experience dealing with high-maintenance, time-intensive pets and suggested the option of dropping the cat off on the way down and picking her up on the way back. He thought that wasn't a bad idea and Saturday afternoon, as I was getting ready to mow the lawn, he called to say he'd be in around 10:30pm with the cat.

So yeah. The lawn. New place is on over an acre of land. I have a 12 year old push mower with a 21" blade. It has been wonderful and loyal, but the strain of getting a place that was neglected for 20 years as a rental back into shape and maintaining that much lawn has started wearing on it. And on me. But it was dry the last few weeks, so the grass hadn't grown much and I skipped mowing for a week. I skipped mowing the pasture for 2 weeks. And there was rain on the forecast for this weekend. So I *had* to mow. And when I saw how hard the mower had to work on the pasture, I knew I had to mow *the whole thing*. And then get groceries, clean house, and get ready for guests--and an invalid cat.

My primary liquor store was out of vermouth so I had to go to my old store. Got stuck behind slow drivers and it was closed by the time I got there. And I was running out of time, so I hurried home to at least get some calories in my face-hole (and possibly a nap). Oh, in getting the lawn mowed before the forecast rain (that didn't happen) I wound up eating lunch after 7:30. Well my friend called me to tell me he was running behind--and that 10:30 had been Central time anyway, while Louisville is on Eastern time, so the new arrival would be more like 1:30am Eastern. Took advantage of this to eat and clean up the house (and myself). Ran out of time for a nap. They showed up just as I was putting out towels and getting linens organized.

So the thing about back injuries is they effect nerves and muscles beyond the damage. So the cat was in a diaper. In addition to pain meds (that, thankfully, it hasn't needed), it gets a couple antibiotics via an oral syringe. That's a lot of fun--even with the "purrito" method of wrapping the cat in a towel. And the diaper means powder and baby wipes and ointment. And you can guess how well cats like being put into a diaper--slightly more than they like having liquid medicine injected into their mouth.

But I'm almost made it through the weekend. And mostly got caught up on the stuff I let slide last week while I was trying to get the other bedroom finished. Well, I should get going. Got some checks to write. Then I've got to get to sleep. The new hire for my friend's team is based in Ireland, so the welcome aboard conference is happening earlier than I'd like to get up. But I should be able to make it work. Anyway, I've got a cat in a cage that needs looking in on so I have to get up on time again now. Someone depends on me.

(She wasn't in the cage during the day, but it's a big cage and it lets me leave the diaper off her over night to let everything air out back there without having to worry about cleaning up poop and pee in the morning.)

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Well, a broken back for a cat is apparently a bit different than if it was for you or me. Bugger walks around, jumps up on things, climbs stairs, you name it. Really the only symptoms it shows are that its tail is totally limp and it can't control its bladder/bowels. So it has to wear a diaper. But I agree. This is just too much of a headache to put up with on the hope that it will recover. Although I'll admit that I'm less emotionally invested in this animal than in either of mine.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
This is a "too long for Facebook" Facebook post.

The injured cat is settling in. (I should go give her her hated evening meds, now that I think about it.) The 2 most significant issues about her back injury are that her tail is limp and her butthole is basically a toothpaste tube with the cap off.

I skipped the diaper this morning because she absolutely hates it, and her butthole is so close to her tail that she just poops out the tail hole on the diaper. At this point her poops are firm enough that I just try not to step on any landmines and carefully pick them up as I find them. She doesn't seem to have peed anywhere so ...I'm not even going to venture a guess on that. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. But she seems fairly normal and chill and is mostly content to find things to hang out under or behind. (I had the bright idea to put potty pads under the couches so she had the bright idea to stop hanging out under the couches. Oh well.)

Trying to get a mortgage on this place to finance my next rental was the incentive to put on the wall to add a 3rd bedroom. My friend coming to visit was an excuse to furnish the 3rd bedroom. Of course delivery time on the sofa-bed is slow enough that the whole idea is a moot point. And the fact there's a large dog kennel for a tiny cat to travel/be confined in and a box of sick/injured cat care accoutrements in said room makes it hard to get a feel for how it will look when it's done.

I found a consignment store that had some interesting furniture so I was able to add something that can serve as a dresser/chest of drawers and a coffee table. I bought a chair and rug new online (and the couch that is still on the way). Found a floor lamp at Home Depot that I liked. Leaning heavily toward pulling the trigger on an electric fireplace but trying to wait until the rest of the room is furnished to confirm it won't be too cluttered.

This is the first room I'm doing outright. Past rooms have developed organically. A piece here, an item there. It's a bit tricky trying to do a whole room all at once. Because you can look at the pictures, but you can't see everything together in the space until it shows up. And sometimes you can't tell scale as well as you should be able to from a picture. Then there's the stuff I got at the consignment place. You have to settle for what is there that is closest to what you wanted. I was down to 2 dressers, picked one, and then let the guy steer me toward the other one. It should actually work quite well, but it..I can't help but think the other one would've been better. Then there's the coffee table. The whole place had furniture labeled "Rustic Cherry Coffee Table" and "Rustic Oak Dresser" and "Rustic Whatever." Apparently the seller thought "rustic" meant painted satin black, with just a hint of the original finish at the sharp edges. Didn't totally hate it, but planned to refinish it when I got around to it. I'm increasingly totally hating it to the point where I came very close to getting a rag and some wood stripper tonight (but I've just got too many irons in the fire and once you start, you've got to see it through). It should actually be a fairly nice piece once I do something about the black paint. Speaking of which, the nice lady who runs the place raved about the black finish enough times while I was loading it in that it was very hard not to say that it looked like crap and I'd be redoing it ASAP.

But I'm rambling. The point is, I decided to do this room up in the feel of a 20th century London men's Club. Boodles. The fictional Blades from the Bond novels. Old white men in expensive suits smoking cigars and drinking Scotch. Fucking Classy. But I'm also inclined to do it up with what I *think* that sort of place would look like. To whit: a table lamp. I'm thinking something Tiffany's. But truth be told, a fairly plain table lamp with a crisp white shade is more accurate to the look I'm going for. Hence the dilemma: Do you go for accurate or do you go for what people expect? Truth be told, you probably go for accurate. Because the more I look at Tiffany's lamps, the more loud and busy they look. Typing this, I think something simpler is the way to go.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Cat was out all day today. So theoretically she could be out all night. But I don't want to face a minefield if I have to get up to go to the bathroom. Or an Easter egg hunt in the morning.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I'm starting to feel like I know what I'm doing. Had flickering lights in the kitchen. Finally got around to swapping in a different switch. That was the problem. Or at least it seems to have been the problem. Of course if they start flickering again, it could still be the switch, since I didn't like the one I bought (the old one had a switch and a GFE outlet. I accidentally bought one with a regular outlet. When I saw how much one with a GFE cost (combined with how the outlet is basically useless) I just grabbed an old switch I had handy).

Since my friend was visiting, it gave me an excuse to furnish the new bedroom. Unfortunately the one thing a bedroom needs--a place to sleep--doesn't look like it will get here until the end of the month and my friend and his daughter are on the way back to Wisconsin this Saturday. But it is coming together nicely. I think I mentioned I was going for a London club feel. But it's kind of tricky. You overdo it and you ruin the effect. And for the pieces I got used (there's a consignment market down the road), you have to pick from what's available. The dresser was a bit more 1970s than I really wanted and the coffee table was a bit more elegant. I picked the right torchiere lamp. My first choice was really too loud and flashy. The one I was tempted to get (because it was a lot cheaper) would've looked flimsy. I think I hit the right balance of solid but elegant. The temptation for the table lamp was something Tiffany style, but that really wouldn't be accurate and the more I thought about it, the more I realized subtle and understated was the way to go. Also a lot cheaper. One of the windows has short curtains. They're curtains my dog shredded during one of her separation anxiety bouts. But after trimming off the chewed up bits, they were perfect size for this window. The dresser goes under the window and gets the table lamp and a fern. (I did musical chairs with 3 plants before I had them all in the right rooms. That's a whole other story.)

The coffee table? $40. Ethan Allen. Apparently in good shape. A nice one goes for $600-$1,000 used online. The seller decided to add value to it by painting it satin black, however. I just couldn't stand it so I tackled the...the table part. Not the legs or anything else. The top! That's what they call that part. Now I'm in the process of getting a new finish on it. It could do with a complete refinishing, but when I get a few coats of linseed oil on the stripped top, I'll be content with it--for now. "Barn" doors went up like a charm. Still need to put handles on them. And I should router out a channel on the bottom and install a guide slot on the floor that fits in the door channel. And deal with the gap at the edges caused by the door hanging out away from the wall. But all told, it's pretty rewarding how nicely the room is coming together. I'm inclined to hold off on pictures until the sofa bed shows up.

And the electric fireplace--which I ordered today and looks like it will actually still get here before the sofa bed that I ordered God knows when. I'll admit, I still need to install an outlet for the fireplace. But that can happen in the winter. It will still look like a fireplace.

Another word on the fireplace: It makes sense, given the look I'm going for in the room. And the realities of the room. The register grate is in the closet. I have a plan to route it out into the room until I can get around to moving it 4' or so. And the windows are pretty big. So some extra heat in the winter could come in handy. No solution on cooling this time of year. Where the ceiling light is I can't even put in a ceiling fan. I'd need a flush-mount because the ceiling is low and for some reason they put the light in way close to the bathroom. So when I put in my wall, it was close enough to the light that it would interfere with the fan blades. Still, it should be a pretty nice room when all is said and done.

Oh, but the fireplace! I got sidetracked.

There are a lot of ugly electric fireplaces. At first I had the least ugly one picked out. Then I found one with built-in bookshelves. It was more expensive, but I always need bookshelves. And call that $100-200 if you bought them separately. So I was able to use that to convince myself to pull the trigger on this--whether I needed a fireplace or not. It should turn out fine. I mean, it's not going to fool anyone who's used to really nice and expensive things, but it should look nice in photos and it will be enough to make me happy--and eventually prospective buyers.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Half the fun of making a plan is watching it completely and utterly shit the bed in every possible way. Or: Friends can be a pain in the ass. But you're probably a pain in the ass too.

After years and years and years, my friend from college finally had an opportunity to come down to visit me. I got my dates mixed up or something but it just happened to be the very day I'd been planning to get out of town for a thing. Oh well. Such is life. Besides, he was planning to get on the road by 4pm. It would still be possible to salvage a chunk of the evening. The problem is, I'm on Eastern Time and every place he was on the rest of his trip was on Central Time. So when he tells me he's leaving Nashville at 9pm, he's planning to leave Nashville at 10pm. But that's OK because I worked Friday night. So I beat him to my house and even had time to tidy a few things up. But it turned out he *didn't* leave at 9/10pm. He went to dinner at that time. So he would actually be getting to Louisville at around 3am.

This already puts a big dent in my plan to go do something after he leaves at 4pm--which is really 5pm, another dent in the plan. Not getting my afternoon nap is another dent. I'll spare you the rest, but the fucking bullet to the head of my plan was his last trip down my deck steps. When my dog was dying she'd been having increasing problems with the dek steps. They were pretty standard 3 wooden steps, but somehow they kicked her butt--both up AND down. So when I still had hopes she could recover I reengineered them into more of a terraced 3 layer porch. I didn't have time or money to do this so I jury rigged it with existing lumber and a couple pallets. It only had to be strong enough for a 170# man and a 50# dog. I could do it right when I had time. The dog didn't wind up recovering but I've had much heavier people lug appliances up and down them. But because I had plans and my plans were way behind, my friend managed to break the middle terrace. Luckily he wasn't injured and it was pretty easily repaired. But now I'm hot and hungry and even more tired and my "get a late start and stay late" plan is 4 hours behind and I'm not in the mood to do anything right now but sleep.

I've said it before: Sometimes God puts obstacles in your way because he wants to see if you want something bad enough to fight for it. But sometimes he puts obstacles in your way because he things your plan is stupid and doesn't want you to do it. In truth, this adventure was probably the latter, but dammit, just let me make my own bad decisions from time to time.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Do you believe in God?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Sure. Maybe not a huge old white guy with a big silver beard looking down from a hole in the clouds, but I think there's definitely some higher power that has had an interest in the development of humanity. Maybe we're some alien's kid's science project--an ant farm if you will. But we put it into terms our primitive ape brains can get around.

Anyhow, in spite of God's efforts to thwart my will, I made it to my thing. It was literally a bridge too far, but I made it. So many things that I don't have the time to talk about. But the drive was simple. Drive out of town. Take the first exit on the way to St. Louis. Follow it until you get there. Except! A bridge within SIGHT of my destination was out for repairs. So instead you had to take a different road to a different town and then follow the detour signs to double back to the road I needed to be on and go to where the bridge was out.

Problem was:
1) I was doing this on nowhere near enough sleep.
2) My phone is too tiny for current mapping software to show up properly on it
3) I no longer have any paper maps or a compass in my car
4) It was dark but cloudy, so I had very little sense of direction on the roads
5) Current phone mapping software (I suspect) is designed so the maps are useless. If you just open a map and it shows where you are and you can see where you want to go, it doesn't generate any revenue or valuable salable data. If the only way you can get it to work is to go into directions mode, it: a) knows where you are, b) knows where you want to go and c) can try to get you to stop at valuable sponsors along the way to purchase fun and useful items to make your life better.
6) My phone has also started to get flaky, where it overheats, decides the battery's dead, shuts down, and can't be restarted at the most inopportune moments.

So a drive that should've been a little over an hour wound up being over 4 hours. Any time the road forked and I could pick a direction, I consistently picked the wrong one. I swear I drove places I can't find on the map on my laptop, now that I'm home.

Also, I've got that weird thing where you've been sick or recovering from some injury where you don't feel tired. But you do a couple fairly simple things and it exhausts you. I've taken at least 4 naps today and I'm desperately ready for another one.

The sleeper sofa still hasn't showed up. Neither has 1 box of parts for the fireplace. I have decided electric fireplaces really...there's no way you can make them look like anything but fake fireplaces. So, if that room stays adequately warm in the winter, I'm toying with the idea of dressing out the hearth like a real fireplace and (obviously) not using it instead of using the provided electric insert. I could always put a gas insert in too--although that kind of involves a gas line coming out the floor/wall which could be problematic if the next owner doesn't want a fireplace in that room at that location.

I think I mentioned it, but my excuse for buying the fireplace was that it had integrated bookcases. And I can never have enough shelf space. And it looked cool.

Lanzman

No-one of consequence
2) My phone is too tiny for current mapping software to show up properly on it
Dude. Come on. It's 2021. Time to get a real phone. The vast majority of human knowledge literally in your pocket.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I retort: It's 2021. There's no time to be lugging around an Etch-a-Sketch sized monstrosity that is too large to fit in your pocket.