"Walk away. Just walk away..."

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
On another site a girl made the mistake of saying she wanted nay, *needed* colored synthetic dreadlock hair extensions. Fortunately, a 20 year old girl set her straight about how this was "cultural appropriation" and since she was white, she couldn't have dreadlocks. The discussion blew up.

Now, there are so many different ways to go at this: Pointing out that America is a melting pot, pointing out that the idea of "cultural appropriation" is absurd unless you look at people from perspective of what race they are and what is and isn't allowed for certain races. Saying how sad I am that I will no longer be able to enjoy pizza or carne asada burritos--to say nothing of Kung Pao chicken--but that I'm grateful that I can still enjoy St. Patrick's day, since I'm 1/4 Irish.

Or I could ask if, since the dreadlocks in question are artificial in color and material, isn't it clowns and not blacks that should be offended by this "cultural appropriation."

But the sane response is "forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown." "Walk away. Just walk away." Because nothing I say will change anyone's mine on either side and I certainly should know better than to impose my Old White Male viewpoints on the weak and downtrodden.

The Question

Eternal
You could also have referred the racist twat in question to the historical fact that Scandinavians also wore dreadlocks in the Viking age. In point of fact, dreadlocks are not remotely exclusive to non-European cultures.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Real dreads are fucking filthy.

Seriously.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
"Never wrestle a pig. You only wind up getting dirty and the pig has all the fun."

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Who says pig-wrestling can't be fun though?

The Question

Eternal
HEHHH heh heh heh hehhh heh HAAA ha ha ha HAAA haaaaaa!