Some movies watched in 2021

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Shadow In The Cloud (2020) - It was hilariously insane. It is really weird that the first half is entirely just Chloe talking to everyone else over radio, then it goes absolutely nuts. I guess it saved on the budget to only have the really crazy stuff happen in the last half hour. The explosion throwing her back in the plane was LOL but I kind of loved it for how stupid/awesome it was. I can't say it was good (why ws the gremlin obsessed with the baby anyway? Was it paedo?) but it was DEFINITELY memorable lol.

CaptainWacky

Aquaman (2018) - Yeah I never got arond to watching this until now, I think I watched a clip from it and it didn't really make me want to watch the whole thing. But now that I've watched it...well, I can see why I thought that but it has good stuff too. It's very silly and it plays that silliness straight, if that makes sense. Like silly things are happening all the time but nobody's laughing or making jokes about it. It's an earnest silliness. At some points this worked for me, mostly in the action scenes and especially if those action scenes happened to be underwater. It's not scared to go full on comic book craziness and I do appreciate that. Sometimes, though, it's just too silly, mostly in the scenes where characters actually have to talk about the plot (don't ask me to recap the plot, I can't.) Momao is...pretty good? He doesn't really have a huge range of stuff to play here, he's pretty much the same throughout, but he's good at the cheesey stuff. I didn't feel much chemistry between him and Amber Heard's Mera though. (It's funny that she looked and sounded completely different in Snyder's Justice League? I think I prefered her look and sound there, but I guess this is the cannnnnnnon version.) I got bored at points, it's too long, they spend ages introducing Black Manta and only has one pretty pointless chase scene. Again though, I did appreciate the craziness: there's an octopus playing drums, lots of people riding giant sea creatures, an insane final battle which does become hard to follow at times. There's probably more CGI than in any movie in history and even the stuff on the surface doesn't really look real? I don't know, somebody do an edit where most of the talking is removed please.

Aquaman: it's silly.

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
Boss level, Frank Grillo does groundhog Day with swearing and violence, it's good.

CaptainWacky

Shazam (2019) - This is the other one I forgot to watch and really forgot existed (which is strange since I remember liking the trailer.) I liked it a lot more than Aquaman as it has actual characters in it with personalities! Zachary Levi is a very good choice to play a 14 year old boy who can transform into an adult superhero. Mark Strong was a good creepy villain (though maybe he could have had more of an evil plan than just "get some more power"?) It's good wholesome family fun and there's nothing wrong with that. I appreciated the Big reference. Not really sure the Superman bit at the end made sense (how does he know him?) but hey it's fun. Fun movie.

The school bullies who literally RUN OVER a crippled child and then kick the shit out of him were ridiculously over the top.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The kid detective. A good film, an old fashioned mystery with a mostly unknown cast, well unknown to me anyway.

CaptainWacky

The Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) - It's a movie about a young man with Down's Syndrome (Zack Gottsagen, who really has Down's of course and does a great job) who runs away from his care home to become a wrestler. He ends up forming a bond with a redneck (Shia LeBeouf, maybe not totally convincing as a redneck but a lot better than in the Transformers shite) and his carer (Dakota Johnson, likable) eventually catches up with them for more hijinks. It's heart-warming, nice stuff! The best part is Gottsagen's performance. The wrestling stuff late in the movie is fun, with Mick Foley and Jake "The Snake" Roberts making appearances for all you wrestling fans out there. Recommended!!!

CaptainWacky

Kate (2021) - Watch it because it's on Netflix and it stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead. The good news is that Mary is very good in it, she's great at action as previously shown in Birds of Prey. The bad news is, well, the script? There's nothing original, surprising or charming about it. It's set in Japan and manages to squeeze in every Japanese cliche you can think of (yes that waving cat is there!) Some of the action scenes are good, and MEW is always watchable, but it becomes a slog. And see if you don't figure out who the SECRET VILLAIN is within the first minute (I did from the trailer.) Only watch if you're a MEW obsessive.

CaptainWacky

Cruella (2021) - Yeah I watched Cruella because it's on Disney+ and I still can't be bothered reviewing the last three Star Trek movies. It's a weird movie because of the central character. We all know she's going to grow up to attempt to skin some nice doggies and make coats out of them. Yet here she's, at least somewhat, a sympathetic protagonist. So how does the movie handle that? It's a mixed bag! Because for the first half Cruella is fairly nice, but I think they stop short of making her an actual good person because we all know how she ends up. Then halfway through she takes on the Cruella persona for real and becomes kind of evil. I say "kind of" because she doesn't actually doing anything any worse than upstage her fashion rival. Which isn't really evil at all come to think about it. What's good is that her evil fashion rival is played by Emma Thompson who is allowed to just go full on villain and has a lot of fun doing so. Also the movie looks really nice with all the costumes and the heist type stuff is well put together. But it's still highly flawed because it never really commits either way with the central character. By the end she's full on Cruella again but we don't really get a sense if she's "evil" now or if it's still just a character and she's nice really. Also I'm not sure why Anita was in the movie when she didn't impact the plot at all. Anyway it's not shit or anything but it leaves you wondering what the point is (beyond "money" obviously.)

Mirah

I love you
I will probably watch Cruella.

Has anyone watched RESPECT?
Story of Aretha Franklin, played by Jennifer Hudson.
Sad and good movie.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Watched Free guy, was good, I liked all the gaming references.

CaptainWacky

Free Guy (2021) - Ryan Reynolds is an NPC in a video game who achieves sentience. It certainly has shades of The Lego Movie, The Matrix and The Truman Show (I think the thing where the paradise world is across the sea is a definite conscience nod to that?) in there, but it's better than you might expect. The stuff where he's first learned that he can do anything in the world without dying is the most fun part. The emotional stuff works pretty well for a Disney action comedy, the best being the relationship between guy and his best friend. Good to see Jodie Comer make it to America even if it isn't the most demanding role. Probably goes on too long in the end and I guess all the "streamers" shown through are real people who I'm supposed to recognise but I didn't. Perfectly fine movie!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Red notice, a fun action adventure, with some very optimistic views on how long petrol lasts for.

Mirah

I love you
I also watched it last night, I knew it would be slightly hokey and light hearted and it was just what I was looking for.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Godzilla v Kong, aka they fight for a bit then they are mates.

They sure spent a lot of money on CGI to make it look like two guys fighting in suits.

whisky

Boobie inspector
8 bit Christmas.

Fun family film. Set in the present and the 80s, let's down by sudden dead dad. I like 80s films and music because my dad was alive then, this one hit too close to home.