Fat Tuesday Snowstorm

Mirah

I love you
I had waited for Rosie in the hallway as it was getting chilly. Even tho I had bundled up I didn't want to wait outside. She pulled up in her suburu outback and I opened the back door to put my food inside. She said, "I hope you don't mind the dog hair!" Of course Rosie, I already knew that when I asked if we could ride together. I had ridden with her and her dog before and it was a hot day, we went on a walk with her and her dog Jake. She collected his waste and put the bag in the back of the car until we could find a garbage bin. But this time the dog was not in the car.
Our destination was a little more than 9 miles and a climb in elevation above 3,000 feet. We were instructed to park at the neighbors property and he would come pick us up for the last mile since the road is still covered in ice.
Rosie parked her car and looked at the time, it was 4:28. She hoped we hadn't missed the first "shuttle" up the road. We waited and finally saw a truck. It was an old pickup with chains on more than one wheel. Flynn got out of the truck, there was already a passenger in the front, he dropped the tailgate, pulled out a step and Rosie and I climbed in as he handed us our bags. He closed the door and off we went.
Rosie informed me she would be doing a call that evening at 7 PM. Had I known that I would have made other arrangements for the evening. It was bad enough that we had to be shuttled up to the property, but now I was stuck and would be at this party until 8. My mind had to adjust to this. I knew I had enough food for myself, so I wasn't worried I would starve. I just didn't know if I could handle being social with people for such a long period of time. I knew they would be drinking, I also brought something to drink just in case they only had alcohol options for beverages.
The truck came to a stop and we picked up 2 more passengers. Flynn opened the tailgate and said, "I hope you don't mind sharing the rest of the ride with these burley guys!" "Of course not" I thought. Dave and Tom climbed in the truck and once again we were off. This time the ride getting bumpier and Dave almost hit his head on the ceiling of the truck.
The view quickly took over any feelings I had of being stuck for the evening. It was amazing. I could see the whole valley and the lake and the next town over and across the lake. I could see storm clouds on one side of the hillside and clear skies on another. It was really stunning.
The dogs greeted us as we exited the truck and all of the food bags were grabbed so I took a moment to take in the view and get some pictures. Rosie was more interested in the house, I turned and looked and thought it looked nice but was more interested in the view. We went inside to a mud room and took off our coats, boots, hats and gloves and Rosie said I should check out the view from the other side on the balcony. I stepped out in my socks, it was cold, but beautiful. I walked around to the other side, Flynn was already getting back into the truck to pick up the next round of passengers. He yelled up at me, "Mirah! Have you ever been here before?" I yelled back, "NO! Its amazing!" He apologized, saying, "Oh! So sorry I can't give you the tour! I have to go pick up more people!" "Thats okay!" I yelled and off he went.
Tom was just inside, and he had been here before and he showed me around. This was a really stunning house, Rosie was right. It was built by Flynn and had beautiful woodwork and stone. I could not believe it. I recalled hearing about it before and didn't know how beautiful it was. Just after the mud room was a small office. Next to the office was the sun room, with beautiful stone work on the floor and the wall. I looked up and could see the next floor up as my eyes followed the chimney and the woodwork and plants that adorned the walls.
Tom showed me the 2 rooms and told me the structure was built w/out any nails. The frame, I think he said. The beams were from some local yard or somewhere cool I guess and each of them were held together with pegs. It was beautiful.
We were about to head up the stairs when Rosie was bringing my bags down asking me what I wanted to do with them. I told her they could just stay in the kitchen, I didn't know why she brought them downstairs. She mentioned one had my socks in them. Oh yeah, I had forgotten. I've learned to bring warm slipper socks when I am going to someone's house I had never been to before. And I was glad I did because all of the floors were stone or wood. But my tour with Tom was done then so I just went back downstairs and put my slippers on and continued to admire all of the unique features of the house.

Mirah

I love you
I walked up the stairs and could hear more people and I knew there must have been an earlier shuttle ride up becuase I didn't expect that many people to already be there. I was quite in the social mood yet and just fussed with the food and then luckily there was a dog to pet and be distracted by. It was a cute terrier named Aldi. He and I quickly became friends.
I don't recall the next half hour as I heard we wouldn't be eating until 6. I wasn't hungry, I just like to have eating as a distraction from talking to people. I was grateful when Flynn returned with yet more people. It was the Marinelli family! I was so happy, there were 4 of them, including little Marco, he was 7. I could play a game with him and avoid having to answer awkward questions about my life.
Flynn's wife Lillie was showing Marco the games she had, he chose to play with some gear looking thing. Off he went. I told her and his mom that if there was a game he wanted to play, I would play it with him. Elizabeth, Marco's mom said he loves to play chess. Lillie handed me the chess game to play when Marco was done playing with the gadgets.

Mirah

I love you
This was not supposed to be a long drawn out story. I was just going to write about how it started snowing, and no one noticed and everyone was drinking, except for me, one other guest and the kid, and it snowed so much that we couldn't leave the house and had to stay there for fat Tuesday, but the next day never came and it was an endless loop of eating king's cake and finding the baby Jesus.
Just kidding, that theme has been done too much.
Maybe Rosie goes to do her zoom call and she never returns. And I am stuck in this house with people I don't know and only a few that I do know.
Thats dumb.
Seriously. Its just 10 miles away. I would walk down the mountain. I wore my snow boots!